• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Another Moonswatch metal case project

Y Cymro

Getting To Know The Place
23/9/21
how's the overall finish?
I’m very pleased with it. The size is very close to the original Speedy and MoonSwatch. It’s 14mm thick due to having a very shallow caseback. The polishing on the case sides is good though the top angles of the lyre lugs isn’t as sharp as the original - expectedly in fairness. It has sapphire crystal and bezel insert, and a screw down crown, all of which make it hardy as a daily driver. The printing on the bezel is crisp, and the pushers work smoothly. The problem, is you have to buy a complete watch rath than a case only. Probably not worth it if you’re going to sell it on, but as a personal project to keep I think it’s bloody brilliant.

I’ve bought and received a genuine, brand new ETA movement to replace the Sunon, and I’ll update here when I find an hour to do it (and I’d would be grateful for the knowledge of any forum users who’ve achieved this before me).

senzlez2

Getting To Know The Place
20/2/20
I’m very pleased with it. The size is very close to the original Speedy and MoonSwatch. It’s 14mm thick due to having a very shallow caseback. The polishing on the case sides is good though the top angles of the lyre lugs isn’t as sharp as the original - expectedly in fairness. It has sapphire crystal and bezel insert, and a screw down crown, all of which make it hardy as a daily driver. The printing on the bezel is crisp, and the pushers work smoothly. The problem, is you have to buy a complete watch rath than a case only. Probably not worth it if you’re going to sell it on, but as a personal project to keep I think it’s bloody brilliant.

I’ve bought and received a genuine, brand new ETA movement to replace the Sunon, and I’ll update here when I find an hour to do it (and I’d would be grateful for the knowledge of any forum users who’ve achieved this before me).
I too have bought an eta from a swatch irony four thats the same as gen moonswatch. the sub dial hands fit but the hour minute and chrono does not so you have to find some hands with the correct specs, I know another that broched the dh gate moonswatch hands, but you don't need to I found that the vk63 hands will work for hour and minute, and a eta 7550 second will fit I bough a gold one to make the moonshine swatch :D

haze3715

walked out, no purchase history.
Supporter
Certified
8/8/21
Canada

thanks for the feedback! Apparently the sapphire xtal has AR (single sided, on the bottom) which is why I was considering one. From what I understand the initial run of V3s did not have AR, but it was added later. Does yours have it?

Reactions: Karbon74

superturbine

Drive carefully me
Supporter
7/12/22
Caboose! You're tha Man!
Packaged beautifully!
Fabulous job!
Thank you Sir!

KK5Qlj.jpeg

superturbine

Drive carefully me
Supporter
7/12/22
Enjoy!

Funny enough I will have more improvements for the next 10, including a custom designed and printed serialization jig to ensure even spacing during serial stamping.

Awesome!! I'll keep my figures crossed!

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
guys,
don't buy from the Dwayne Campbell Ali store. Their cases are shit. I tried two because they were slightly cheaper but it looks like they sell the low quality range of the factory production runs
What was wrong with them?

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
the bezel was almost impossible to remove and the crystal keep falling off despite pressing it in. I even snapped one 😭

also the internal diameter of the caseback was smaller, so the holder locked into it.

what was supposed to be a straightforward swap became an hour long nightmare. I will ultimately fix it and put the rep plastic crystal in it...but overall it's just a painful waste of time

Reactions: Caboose

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
the bezel was almost impossible to remove and the crystal keep falling off despite pressing it in. I even snapped one 😭

also the internal diameter of the caseback was smaller, so the holder locked into it.

what was supposed to be a straightforward swap became an hour long nightmare. I will ultimately fix it and put the rep plastic crystal in it...but overall it's just a painful waste of time
That sounds horrible!

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
That sounds horrible!

but as always, I like challenges 😁
I totally rebuild the case and filed the rough finishes. It's really nice now.

and I got inspired by you. The case crystal is the one with the "S" imported from the rep watch and filed down to size. I even thinned it so that it sits lower.

Now I need to wait for a rep watch to come in...In the horribilis series, a subdial hand mysteriously disappeared.

Reactions: Got20Mate

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
but as always, I like challenges 😁
I totally rebuild the case and filed the rough finishes. It's really nice now.

and I got inspired by you. The case crystal is the one with the "S" imported from the rep watch and filed down to size. I even thinned it so that it sits lower.

Now I need to wait for a rep watch to come in...In the horribilis series, a subdial hand mysteriously disappeared.
Let me know how you end up attaching it permanently. The cement I used was far too weak, but then again I used very little. Going to do further cleanup and try again!

jamiex

25/7/09
Yorkshire
guys,
don't buy from the Dwayne Campbell Ali store. Their cases are shit. I tried two because they were slightly cheaper but it looks like they sell the low quality range of the factory production runs
Thanks for the heads up I've just canceled my order, thankfully I only ordered 10 minutes ago. So which cases and donor watches is everyone using now, some of the links are dead in the previous posts?

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
Thanks for the heads up I've just canceled my order, thankfully I only ordered 10 minutes ago. So which cases and donor watches is everyone using now, some of the links are dead in the previous posts?
I'm not going to lie to you... I've bought out a few vendors but generally I've messaged them asking for the bezel not to be attached so I can do it and it's higher quality for the people who are receiving my watches. Dwayne Campbell never responded so I never bought any of those ones thankfully, but BLIGER was responsive but their bezels were already attached.

DesertAdventures

16/9/17
I’m gonna buy some of these eta movements and rep speedy cases like karbon did. Might as well go down that path next 😂 need to order some hands too.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I’m gonna buy some of these eta movements and rep speedy cases like karbon did. Might as well go down that path next 😂 need to order some hands too.
just bear in mind that you will need to cater for the short pushers. You will need to make some sort of adaptor for the chrono to work