• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Another Moonswatch metal case project

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
yes and no

EDIT : after comparing with my AliX case build. Quality wise it is better than the AliX case. The pushers are smoother, the crystal and bezel are better finished.

But the pushers are too short and Caboose holders don't fit as is.

So you need to be creative in making the chrono work by adding a piece on the movement contacts, the case fit and centered.
and cutting the stem is also an exercise in increments of 0.1mm

too short it locks the thread, too long the pushers don't connect. I trashed 2 stems before I got it right.

Not very difficult once you figured everything out, but definitely not the straight easy swap I expected.

My next one will be a AliX case with replaced crown...won't have the caseback though

Last edited:

senzlez2

Getting To Know The Place
20/2/20
yes and no

Quality wise it is comparable. Not better, not worse.
But the pushers are too short and Caboose holders don't fit as is.

So you need to be creative in making the chrono work by adding a piece on the movement contacts, the case fit and centered.
and cutting the stem is also an exercise in increments of 0.1mm

too short it locks the thread, too long the pushers don't connect. I trashed 2 stems before I got it right.

Not very difficult once you figured everything out, but definitely not the straight easy swap I expected.

My next one will be a AliX case with replaced crown...won't have the caseback though
can I use the crown from dhgate and caseback on the alix case? and also is the crystal a Plexi on these?

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Thickness 14.3 with crystal
Case and caseback 13.0

I am unsure if it's sapphire, I don't know for sure as I don't have a tool. A water drop test is positive though

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
can I use the crown from dhgate and caseback on the alix case? and also is the crystal a Plexi on these?
for the caseback, yes it works

Crown, that would be suboptimal.
Much better to buy a branded crown and tube from Ali and replace the stock AliX...which is the next experiment I will do

Reactions: senzlez2

senzlez2

20/2/20
time to order a dhgate shitter speedmaster then :D im taking the crown and caseback. im also ordering in a gen omega crystal Plexi just need to find the measurements for the Alix crystal .

Reactions: Snooky and Karbon74

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
time to order a dhgate shitter speedmaster then :D im taking the crown and caseback. im also ordering in a gen omega crystal Plexi just need to find the measurements for the Alix crystal .
I would not call it a shitter honestly. It is quite good. The SEL have a bit of gap and I had to refinish part of the bracelet, but it is very nice. And it is heavy 😳 nothing flimsy here.

The quartz is a game changer vs a mechanical movement.

Marcu

17/6/23
Europe
Off topic, but nobody thinked to gold plating this kind of metal case to mimic the gold speedmaster ? Expensive mod yes but can be really cool

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Off topic, but nobody thinked to gold plating this kind of metal case to mimic the gold speedmaster ? Expensive mod yes but can be really cool
not off topic at all. I researched this too 😅
best is to go from a Pagani Design 1701 base. They do a gold plated model with a black bezel

• Haha
Reactions: Marcu

Marcu

17/6/23
Europe
Didnt know about this pagani model, nice catch !
Just curious about the real life color. The moonshine gold is special and really nice in real.
Even is color is nice, the dial will be an other problem to get this color with moonswatch stamped on it..
Would be so nice with green dial here

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Didnt know about this pagani model, nice catch !
Just curious about the real life color. The moonshine gold is special and really nice in real.
Even is color is nice, the dial will be an other problem to get this color with moonswatch stamped on it..
Would be so nice with green dial here

do your part 😁
buy it and tell us.

Maybe I will try to do it one day. But yeah, green dial a big challenge.

Gold and dial color are always the worst things to get right on reps, whatever the model

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
Not only this, but I bought so many cases from one vendor they closed down.
Okay so that supplier I used also on AliX is no longer selling PE50 stems. I've got enough for the next 10 Moonswatches with parts I have ordered, but will need a supplier for more. If anyone can provide, please let me know.

Reactions: Karbon74

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Okay so that supplier I used also on AliX is no longer selling PE50 stems. I've got enough for the next 10 Moonswatches with parts I have ordered, but will need a supplier for more. If anyone can provide, please let me know.
I have been scouring across the high seas. A PE50 stem is now harder to find than the One Piece...

I blame you

Monkey D Luffy Piece GIF

more seriously, you can find some on ebay. from UK or Singapore

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Got20Mate

senzlez2

20/2/20
are you selling the MoonSwatch in metal cases thats why you have so many ?