• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Another Moonswatch metal case project

senzlez2

Getting To Know The Place
20/2/20
Happy to take anymore measurements or provide images should you need to confirm anything. I've got one taken apart entirely on my bench for... reasons.
im looking for a gen omega crystal to fit the same alixpress cases you have, I have found one thats 32.20 . maybe I can file off some of the case and try when I get it

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
im looking for a gen omega crystal to fit the same alixpress cases you have, I have found one thats 32.20 . maybe I can file off some of the case and try when I get it
On my cases there is a plastic ring around the crystal to hold it snug to the bezel. It may work. It may not. For the cost of a gen Omega crystal, which I assume isn't terrible, it could be fun.

senzlez2

20/2/20
On my cases there is a plastic ring around the crystal to hold it snug to the bezel. It may work. It may not. For the cost of a gen Omega crystal, which I assume isn't terrible, it could be fun.
do you have any pictures of the crystal and case disassembled ?

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
do you have any pictures of the crystal and case disassembled ?
Sure. Here's the glass crystal, some plastic ones I'm playing with installing for fun, and the white plastic ring that retains the crystal.

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
Diameter of the plastic crystals from the plastic Moonswatch case is like 34.78mm so not too far off the 32.98mm needed to make it use that crystal... I'm going to sand and file this until it fits and cement it to the bezel.

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
Well I'm never doing that again. A few hours of filing and sanding later... But it did turn out quite neat and you will see the "S" is visible as this is the plastic crystal from the plastic case.

senzlez2

20/2/20
Well I'm never doing that again. A few hours of filing and sanding later... But it did turn out quite neat and you will see the "S" is visible as this is the plastic crystal from the plastic case.

what glue did you use ?

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
Last night I glued the crystal. Gave it plenty of time to dry, even though it does faster than 24 hours...

Not happy with it. Firstly, I've got a few scratches from when I was reducing the crystal size. Can be fixed with polywatch. You can see the area I applied the GS Hypo cement around the edge. Some places there was barely more than others and you can tell. No way this thing is waterproof!

The "S" is cool, but I might buy a real plastic crystal (not gen) and install, as the cement should not be used. Just friction fit would be best. I think I need a 33.6 or 33.7mm.