• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

1655 Explorer II : Ugly duckling or King of cool ?

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
I had one of these, and it's quite good. The bezel angle relative to the crystal is different than the Vietnam version. Not sure which one is more correct but IMO the Vietnam version allows the crystal to protrude a tad bit more (appears slightly taller). This appears to me to be correct - either way, I am sure that there are variations in OEM as well.

Kuared is also from Vietnam.

I have a phong bezel and Kuared bezel in hand here..I will take some comparison pics and post here

aphmars13

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/10/22
South of France
For my build, I've already ordered the bezel and the glass, but for the rest I'm undecided. 😂What do you think?Your opinions would be appreciated.

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
For my build, I've already ordered the bezel and the glass, but for the rest I'm undecided. 😂What do you think?Your opinions would be appreciated.
I guess that depends on budget.

I am currently building another one, this time using Raffles GMT case set and Kuared bezel and dial .

If you are into metal work , this is a good option to go with . However you do need to open the CG quite a bit to fit the 6mm crown into the case . It took longer than I expected but I went slow as not to over do it. The 6mm crown fits the tube on the case. No other case work is really needed , as its pretty nice set out of the box other than the CG

The bezel is a bit loose on the crystal. I hope that the 25-116 will fix this , if not we will have to go with a custom size solution .

perhaps to 1:1 because the gmt case is slightly more svelte than the 1655 but It was an affordable option that fit gen spec parts that I think will look great and feel nice on the wrist.

KvZ9pi.md.jpeg

KvZr85.md.jpeg

Reactions: aphmars13

aphmars13

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/10/22
South of France
I'm actually torn between a bpf box and the raffles base.
For the bp a change of hands and a reluming will suit me. What's holding me back are the CGs, I feel like there's a lack of material.
For the raffles case. I've seen that it's designed for a 27.3 dial and I think I'll also have a PB with the overlay. The case doesn't seem that thin to me.
And on the contrary, it doesn't lack material 😂

Reactions: 369mafia

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
I'm actually torn between a bpf box and the raffles base.
For the bp a change of hands and a reluming will suit me. What's holding me back are the CGs, I feel like there's a lack of material.
For the raffles case. I've seen that it's designed for a 27.3 dial and I think I'll also have a PB with the overlay. The case doesn't seem that thin to me.
And on the contrary, it doesn't lack material 😂
I considered the BP base but for those exact reasons I held off. In Retrospect I think that is why I sold off my first 2 attempts because the CG were just lacking on those cases. The Raffles is the best builder option if you got the elbow grease

aphmars13

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/10/22
South of France
The kuared dial is original size of 26 mm and feet for movement 1570/5. It adapts to the dimensions of the case. The movement of the feet even if I am equipped puts me off a little.
What overlay are you going to use?
It's not so much the metal to work with that bothers me. If I take my time and don't drink any coffee or alcohol, I should be fine 😂.

Eunomians

Renowned Member
15/3/06
The Kuared bezel looks very nice. I might want to get one to see it in person, although I am content with my build (I see it as complete now). Unless anyone wants to trade Vietnam bezels?

My main concern with the bezels (aside from correct font for specific dial/year iterations) was the bevel angle. In other words, how thick it is and how much of an angle does it have relative to the crystal.

On another note, when it comes to the date wheel, with this build I chose to use an OEM silver brushed date wheel that I had as a spare for my OEM 1675. It is the same silver wheel, not white, and is original to the watch. I prefer the silvery finish with 1655 (white or silver are correct for 1655). The biggest issue I have is I used DG3804 and the OEM date wheel is backwards. Makes wearing it daily a pain. Also, it takes 37599300 hours to align it just right, I finally did but what a pain in the buttocks lol. When the crap DG movement konks out one fine day, I'd like to replace it with a nice correct font silver brushed date wheel with proper number orientation. Does anyone know of a proper DG date wheel?

aphmars13

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/10/22
South of France
I'm not quite decided yet, but given that the resident explorer expert is taking the plunge. It will be easier for me to follow in his footsteps. It's tempting. I'll give myself a bit more time to think. Eternal indecision.

Reactions: 369mafia

whoster

Do not accept unsolicited offers
28/4/23
los angeles
there was already a lot of resources here that i could glean knowledge from, the 1655 is actually my first rep.

trip was very helpful as well.

in the future i think i'd like better hour and minute hands than the raffles ones that are currently on it, since raffles lumes the whole hand instead of just the lume slots, but i'm not losing sleep about it.

Reactions: aphmars13

nathanwind

Getting To Know The Place
30/4/23
NY, USA
Not sure how I missed this thread, but 1655 is one of my favorites….before I pulled the trigger on a gen (which is prob a few years down the road) I had one built last year and love it still…lots of wrist time on a regular basis!