• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

1655 Explorer II : Ugly duckling or King of cool ?

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Man you are right about the terrible keyless works with the DG3804! I’ve redone it so many times, with various projects. It’s terribly sensitive and the u-shaped spring knows how to vanish into space like no tomorrow. It’s a nightmare. I am very careful whenever I deal with the stem for time setting, winding etc
I have yet to attempt a keyless on a DG usually by that point I am so annoyed with it I just toss it in the parts and buy another.

Reactions: geoffdragon

automatico

Getting To Know The Place
5/10/11
It might be time to get that thing back together now, You have had those parts for ever!! lol

You are right, I've had the case and dial for years. I just do not relish the thought of starting another project. I also have 25 or more (maybe 50) genuine watches of assorted brands that need work to get them running so I can sell them. Once I get started, I am Ok, it's just getting started that is the problem.
Besides that, I've had the Phong '1655' case for 12 or 14 years iirc and have done nothing to it.

• Wow
Reactions: 369mafia

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
It might be time to get that thing back together now, You have had those parts for ever!! lol

You are right, I've had the case and dial for years. I just do not relish the thought of starting another project. I also have 25 or more (maybe 50) genuine watches of assorted brands that need work to get them running so I can sell them. Once I get started, I am Ok, it's just getting started that is the problem.
Besides that, I've had the Phong '1655' case for 12 or 14 years iirc and have done nothing to it.
sounds like you got your work cut out for you. make hay while the sun shines....

aphmars13

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/10/22
South of France
Would anyone be able to compare the raffles 1675 case and the milk v2 or genuine case? It might even be even better suited to build this cool king 😊

aphmars13

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/10/22
South of France
It has been done on this thread... Sorry

Eunomians

Renowned Member
15/3/06
I think one of the biggest issues is the 1655 mid-case shape and thickness versus 1675. Back in the late 80s/early 90s, I saw quite a few frankens with 1675 cases. My daily has been a 1675 since back then, so the thin 1675 case for me is instantly noticeable from a mile away. Anyhow, nobody should use a 1675 case in their 1655 build.

The next big issue is the BPH with using 28.8 movements. Again, I've stared at my 1675 for more than 30 years daily and low-beat BPH is nothing like 28.8 smooth sweep. Instant giveaway.

Eunomians

Renowned Member
15/3/06
Here is my build. It was a pain in the you know what to put together. Lotta Vietnam parts. One day I'd like to get the years matching the parts. As-is I guess it appears like a service brat. If anyone has any critiques to offer, by all means let a brother know!

IMG-4364.jpg

IMG-4361.jpg

aphmars13

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/10/22
South of France
I think one of the biggest issues is the 1655 mid-case shape and thickness versus 1675. Back in the late 80s/early 90s, I saw quite a few frankens with 1675 cases. My daily has been a 1675 since back then, so the thin 1675 case for me is instantly noticeable from a mile away. Anyhow, nobody should use a 1675 case in their 1655 build.
What's your opinion of this raffles case, which is considerably thicker?
After modifying the CG of course

Last edited:

Eunomians

Renowned Member
15/3/06
What's your opinion of this raffles case, which is considerably thicker?
After modifying the CG of course

It's hard to say. Part of the issue with 1655 frankens that I didn't mention earlier is that the 1655 caseback is also different than the 1675 caseback. The 1655 caseback is more pronounced with a larger or rather, taller dome structure than the slimmer 1675 caseback. The 1655 definitely sits much higher on the wrist due to the taller caseback. The 1655 thickness, overall shape and more propounded curved lugs also add to height in the overall manner in which it sits on the wrist. 1675 is svelte, elegant and thin, 1655 is sorta brutish, sports watch-like and more rugged (kinda like how 5513/1680 appear on the wrist).

A couple of comparison pics... Both watches have NOS OEM Tropic 116 crystals, so note the crystal height for both references.

First is a pic of my 1655:

IMG-4370.jpg

And here's a profile pic of my 1675/8 - you can clearly see that the case and caseback are noticeably thinner than my 1655.

IMG-4369.jpg

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
"Pinched" in the crown guards, probably by only half a millimetre, may do a little more, but researching gen cases they all seem different, so may leave it for now as my hands are tired from sanding and polishing.
9th before, 13th after

noticeable improvement. nice work. No short cuts in metal work .
there are a few difference from the early mk1 compared to the later mk5s

Next step would be to clearance the crown a bit on the inside edge of the crown guards. its alot more involved with removing the crown at min .

Zeta7

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/11/23
nice!! Specs?
I’m a little embarrassed about that. I bought my dial movement and hand off eBay over many months and paid way too much. Then I got in a hurry to finish it and went cheap on the bracelet from raffles. It’s been a while since I built it so I might look for the proper bracelet.

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
I’m a little embarrassed about that. I bought my dial movement and hand off eBay over many months and paid way too much. Then I got in a hurry to finish it and went cheap on the bracelet from raffles. It’s been a while since I built it so I might look for the proper bracelet.

I think I know the seller you speak of. Yes a bit high priced but it looks good overall . the orange hand is the proper length. in relation to the dial the hands need some aging
The case lugs can use some shaping

Reactions: Zeta7

Eunomians

Renowned Member
15/3/06
Has anyone around here slapped on a Jubilee on their 1655? I have a correct OEM folded Oyster but it is flimsy and has stretched over the years considerably. I am liking the Jubilee look on the 1655

Reactions: Zeta7 and 369mafia

geoffdragon

Supporter
Certified
18/5/21
Uk
Dear Vintage watch afficionados,

I'm offering my latest build up for sale.
The "Steve McQueen" Explorer 1655,
A must-have for the true watch enthusiast, this rugged style icon can be worn in any occasion.
Crown guards are opened, sharp edges removed, case softened, deep cleaning done, movement is spotless and keeps excellent time.

Cost breakdown:
BP F base watch €250
Case reshape and deep clean €110
Relume and age (no coffee was used lol) €190
Jubilee Bracelet €50

Total €600
Selling for €590 plus shipping

FAQ:

Do you ship to CONUS?
-Yes a lot of my frequent clients are conus based and with ups and the correct paperwork there is no issues.

Pics:

Disclaimer:

1)These are replica/homage watches, custom built / modified to represent vintage existing genuine models in many ways.
Don't expect anything else.
2) The pictures represent the actual watch you are buying and will receive. If any extras are listed in the sales post they will be added.
3) International shipping expenses/customs duty are paid for by the buyer.
4) All buyers agree to assume shipping/customs risk, I do my absolute best to ship stealthy and tamperproof.
5) I prefer Paypal or bank transfer as payment.
6) No notes in in any payment !!
7) All transaction fees are on the buyer. Factor this into your consideration.
8) All sales are final, no exceptions
9) I am a hard working individual and I try to ship within 1-5 business days. 5 is exceptional.
10) I choose the buyer, and the buyer will wait untill green light from a sales moderator to post "sold" or "funds sent", for your own protection.