• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

1655 Explorer II : Ugly duckling or King of cool ?

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Recently finished this 1655 using the raffles GMT case
hZtPAJ.jpeg

next to my first 1655 using a rep case of unknown origin - the raffles case is meant for a gmt so it is more svelte , but it feels so nice on the wrist comparingly

Those crown guards are ALOT OF WORK!! not perfect but I am satisfied for my first attempt at them.

mk 5 on left mk2 on right

Last edited:

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Double exposure art piece I made to commemorate Messimer's climb in 1980 of Everest without supplemental oxygen and the 1655 on his wrist. I decided to put it on a shirt and order one for myself. Watch nerdy or what?? :cool: 🤣

Reactions: aphmars13

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
With a gen in the hand I realize now. That I bought a 6 9 open overlay for nothing 😂. I really thought I had scrutinized this watch thoroughly.

Ive noticed difference.

early has champagne dw with open 6 9
later has silver brushed with open 6 9
service has white with standard numerals?

interesting could it be a service replacement?

aphmars13

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/10/22
South of France
Ive noticed difference.

early has champagne dw with open 6 9
later has silver brushed with open 6 9
service has white with standard numerals?
It's not for nothing: the resident expert explorer 😉
interesting could it be a service replacement?
It's not for nothing: the resident expert explorer 😉

• Love
Reactions: 369mafia

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada

The Transglobe Expedition Rolex 1655 / 1675 gmt explorer II​

Oliver-Shepard-Explorer-II.jpg

As you can imagine, an expedition like this requires the best equipment. Enter, Rolex. Oliver Shepard was provided a ref 1655 Explorer II, commonly (and mistakenly) known as the “Steve McQueen”. While the 1655 was a logical choice, Shepard requested the dial and handset be swapped with that of a GMT Master. The reason was likely to increase legibility – the 1655 has a busy dial and thinner, baton hands – while still maintaining the fixed bezel. The result of the request produced an ultra-rare, one-off production of an Explorer/GMT Master that carried the ref 1655 on the case.

Oliver Shepard Explorer II

Oliver Shepard Explorer/GMT Master​

It’s quite possible three examples were made for the rest of the land team, but only Shepard’s can be confirmed. His Explorer/GMT Master sold at an Antiquorum auction nine years ago for 43,700 CHF ($33,000). With the recent increases in hammer prices of rare Rolexes, it’s not much of a stretch to guess this piece would go for a lot more if it were to go back up for sale.

Looking at the hybrid tool watch brings up an interesting speculation. The result doesn’t look too far off from the follow-on Explorer II ref 16550. It’s essentially the same watch with a slightly different bezel. I think it’s a possibility this hybrid sparked an idea in someone’s head over at Rolex and was the inspiration for the design change. After all, the 1655 was not exactly Rolex’s cash cow at the time. Either way, the one-off Explorer/GMT Master is a prime example of a purpose-built tool watch that actually walked-the-walk.

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
I came across this tidbit of info about the 1655 I have never seen the AD nor was I able to find the pic.

"In the 1970's there was a glossy expensive science magazine called 'OMNI'. From memory, there was a full page Rolex advert. It had a photo of Steve McQueen, sipping coffee and smoking. On his wrist was his Rolex Submariner 5513. The advert band at the bottom of the photo - was advertising the Rolex 1655 Explorer."

1675lover

23/7/22
steve mcqueen never owned the 1655, it was all marketing BS from dealers :ROFLMAO:

he did own a 5513 however.

aphmars13

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/10/22
South of France
Lots of comments and assumptions about what Steve McQueen was wearing apparently people knew the inside of his watches boxes. I think if Rolex used it for marketing he must have had the gift. Personally, I don't know. In any case, if he didn't, it's a mistake on his part. 😂

1675lover

23/7/22
lots of articles out there, it was just all marketing

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
steve mcqueen never owned the 1655, it was all marketing BS from dealers :ROFLMAO:

he did own a 5513 however.
agreed. but this was the first I heard of the ad , then year and the magazine it was apparently found it. Until now , it was only talk but the details bring us closer to the truth. I have not found the ad yet. I follow a few accounts on IG that sell vintage rolex ads from magazines and I have never seen them post up like one described above. so it could be still myth or just a very limited ad. perhaps rolex realized the error... (wearing a 5513 in a 1655 ad) and cancelled it.??

the plot thickens.....interesting to consider tho.