• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New 6542 - budget factory option by TS-Station

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Reactions: KJ2020

jaywatchman

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/7/20
Hey guys,

Found this RB factory 1675 GMT on a jubilee, more or less fallen in love with it
- https://puretimewatch.io/hand-made-...f-best-edition-on-jubilee-bracelet-a2836.html
rlx2020062601-01.jpg

Does anyone know anything about RB factory? It's reputation?

I'm aware this watch has some clear flaws, font being one of them, but I'm willing to overlook them.
How is the reliability of the A2836, is it any good?

If anyone has this watch, I'd love to see your photos, QCs and your overall thoughts!

Reactions: Bubbe Back1

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
They're lovely aren't they! I'm tempted, but given BP's "special treatment" of the bezel and case design I think I'll just brass up their one - I'm not sure that santre's would fit without modification. Thankfully the circlip was easy to access once the insert was removed, and the bezel came off easily.

He specifically made them for the cartel/Silix build which is the BP- worth considering.

Reactions: Bubbe Back1

Hor-Fan

Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Hey guys,

Found this RB factory 1675 GMT on a jubilee, more or less fallen in love with it
- https://puretimewatch.io/hand-made-...f-best-edition-on-jubilee-bracelet-a2836.html
rlx2020062601-01.jpg

Does anyone know anything about RB factory? It's reputation?

I'm aware this watch has some clear flaws, font being one of them, but I'm willing to overlook them.
How is the reliability of the A2836, is it any good?

If anyone has this watch, I'd love to see your photos, QCs and your overall thoughts!

Looks like a BP 1675 with an upgraded dial

Hor-Fan

Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Bit of a newbie to the vintage rep game. Is that a good or bad thing? haha

The Bp 1675 is a fine base for budget builds, but it needs some modding to the case to make it look more legit. I personally think $500 is a little steep for a stock BP with an upgraded (not great) dial. You’d be better off just buying the stock BP and sourcing a better dial from Ruby’s- but that would require some work. If you’re looking for something to wear out of the box, and you like the looks of this one... go for it.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
So, regarding the BP... I removed the insert, sanded off the red/blue paint, and repainted it using a dark Prussian blue and Burnt Sienna.

d79b7f5579d06d64ee06914ff09efebd.jpg

I brassed the bezel and burnished it on a block of wood. The result is an improvement on the stock items, I think.

24d42a133c819739ee8df28a3c16abd3.plist

e7c4f1a36019a89c9a11825411a616b8.plist

31981a7bb179b7184f1826715f065767.plist

fd8d21bf1ca070cd0c97e9f7a8e9406b.plist

I’ll move onto ageing the case, dial and hands another time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cosmograph4Ever

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
3/3/20
[mention]Rustyrandy [/mention] Rep bought on eBay from finecollectorus https://www.ebay.it/itm/202807110287

[mention]MrHEPennypacker [/mention] yes Rep only sanded the coin edge for show the brass below (yes below the chrome there is brass )

[mention]MaxDu [/mention] bought from kuvarsit (the same than jtime but priced) only change the color insert below with light blue , shortened the lug , and see previous reply ..

Did the Jubilee come with the clasp and endlinks? :)
Thank you

MrHEPennypacker

20/5/20
I’ll move onto ageing the case, dial and hands another time.

Did you/will you sand down the insert to make its profile match gen a little more? The paint job is incredible, by the way. I think I’m going to end up doing that. Or attempting to do that, at least. If you ever have a ton of free time, I’ll be willing to bet there are a ton of people who’d love to hear more about the process you used on the bezel and insert.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Marvelous color choices bro. Looks great. Acrylic paint? Bezel looks good too!

Thanks Kj - I really appreciate that, coming from you! Yes, I used acrylic paint - the palette I used is my wife's, she's a painter and rather handily she already had the perfect colours there ready for me to use.

Did you/will you sand down the insert to make its profile match gen a little more? The paint job is incredible, by the way. I think I’m going to end up doing that. Or attempting to do that, at least. If you ever have a ton of free time, I’ll be willing to bet there are a ton of people who’d love to hear more about the process you used on the bezel and insert.

Hey MrHEPp, thanks for your compliment too. The insert in the BP looked fine in profile. Once I got it out of the bezel and cleaned the old glue off it, after painting it snapped into the bezel perfectly and its outer edge sits just a smidge below the rim of the bezel. I'm far happier with the whole watch, now I've spent a little more time studying it.

The processes used on the bezel and insert are simple - and I've done the same on my TS-Station GMTs.

The bezel is brassed using a kitchen blowtorch, just heating it up until it changes colour. I then buffed some of the brassing from the raised parts of the bezel using a scotchbrite pad, and then brassed it again. This makes the effect darker in the recessed parts of the bezel.

To repaint the insert I sanded off the old paint by rubbing the insert base on 6000 grit sandpaper. I didn't need to re-lume it as the lume in the numeral indents was fine. Before I repainted it, I polished the sanded base with Polywatch, so the surface to be painted was smooth and glassy-transparent again. I masked the line where the blue meets the red and used acrylics to repaint (making sure it was a little uneven, to simulate its age).

As it's been a while since I'd last done any work on the TS-Station GMTs, I'd forgotten that they also have the same wire circlip holding the bezel on. It's barely noticeable anyway because it's pretty useless! The BP's seems more effective partly because the bezel seats further into the case. I'll post some more pics to illustrate this tomorrow...

MrHEPennypacker

20/5/20
Hey MrHEPp, thanks for your compliment too. The insert in the BP looked fine in profile. Once I got it out of the bezel and cleaned the old glue off it, after painting it snapped into the bezel perfectly and its outer edge sits just a smidge below the rim of the bezel. I'm far happier with the whole watch, now I've spent a little more time studying it.

Wonderful! Really appreciate you taking the time to talk it all out. I like the custom brass bezels that an enterprising member just crafted, but I’m thinking they’re a touch too expensive for me at this point. As are the VN inserts or the ones on eBay. It’s great to know that I can still get an aesthetically-pleasing outcome with a bit of work. I have a Ruby dial, gen crown, Clark crystal, and Raffles vintage-style Jubilee to put it on. I think I can achieve a really nice look without even getting anywhere near a grand.

Reactions: p0pperini

michel7752

18/4/14
Switzerland
Received the black dial 6542 this morning. As reported by others, the bezel turns too easily. Furthermore, it came off after 10 minutes. I pushed it back until I heard the "click" from the clasp which is supposed to keep it place. Nevertheless, the bezel still comes off too easily. Does anybody know if there is an easy fix?
The bracelet is very light and flimsy (some oil helps). This might be period correct. Overall o.k., but I am not thrilled.

MrHEPennypacker

20/5/20
Well it arrived! Upon lifting the watch out of the box, the bezel popped out almost immediately. Oh well. I was sending it out for a dial swap, relume, and casework, so I figured now would be as good a time as any for me to experiment on the bezel and insert. Using @p0pperini’s posts as a guide, I sanded the paint on the insert.

Once all of the color was off, I carefully polished it with a thin layer of poly watch to restore some clarity. Parts of it remained a little scratchy, but I think that adds to the vintage aesthetic (i.e., I didn’t want to go too far and end up having to relume the numbers). Now it was time for paint. I used a burnt sienna for the top. On the bottom, I used a Prussian blue with just a hint of cobalt to get a deeper shade.

Waited for it to dry and there you have it. I love the color, but I may start again because I’m not thrilled with the separation on the 6. I also brassed and wore the bezel a bit so that it won’t slice like a razor blade anymore. I’ll be sure to post the results here.