• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The AP questions thread (All the questions you want to ask about AP but were afraid to)

cotti-rottie

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/4/23
uk
I'm new here. First of all, thank you for this great forum. I read here every evening with enthusiasm. After looking at many AP watches. I'm in love with him two models. 15202 Blue ZF or 15500 ZF V3 either with the blue dial or black.

Are there any concerns about the movement of the 15202?
Does anyone know if a new version will be released soon?

For the 15500 I read that APSF recently released a new version. Is the dial better than V3 ZF?

My wrist is 17.5 cm. Would the 15500 be too big?

I am looking forward to becoming a part of your community.
only you can judge if it looks too big my friend…. get one bought and wear it with a smile😎

Reactions: joeyc

joeyc

I'm Pretty Popular
6/1/08
Nyc
All of amfs work looks Amazing- just keep in mind it’s a lengthy process.

ExtraExtra

Il Valore del Tempo
21/3/07
Up where we belong
Just saw the rare Montauk with seconds at 12 sold. Just wondering and perhaps the question has been asked before. Can the A7750 in the APs like Montauk be replaced with eta7750 to mitigate?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Just saw the rare Montauk with seconds at 12 sold. Just wondering and perhaps the question has been asked before. Can the A7750 in the APs like Montauk be replaced with eta7750 to mitigate?
No in the sense that you cannot just swap the A7750 movement out for an ETA 7750 but parts of the ETA7750 can be swapped in to replace parts in the A7750 movement.
Do note that the gears transfer parts shifting the sec@9 to sec@12 are unique to the A7750 movement and this is the problematic part of the movement. There is no part in the eta 7750 movement which can be swapped over to mitigate this problem.
Hence I’ll recommend the movement be retained, serviced and have the Asian mainspring swapped out for the eta mainspring and perhaps the top plate treated with graphite to reduce the friction from the transfer gears.

WatchGuy>IT

14/5/12
hi guys, I'm seeing some APSF 42mm offshores like bumble bee , ginza, etc. and all them have ceramic pushers, is that correct? I tought that all the 42mm had rounded plastic pushers. thanks for anyone in advance

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
hi guys, I'm seeing some APSF 42mm offshores like bumble bee , ginza, etc. and all them have ceramic pushers, is that correct? I tought that all the 42mm had rounded plastic pushers. thanks for anyone in advance
The bee, ginza most ROOs you saw should have rubber pushers yes. Not ceramic. The 26470s though should hsve ceramic pushers.

Rantanplan

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/1/22
Hi Legend.
What makes more sense: To mod a black ZF 15500 dial V1 or to mod the actual V3? Or is there no difference or doesn‘t matter which version for modding?

WatchOutGens!

RepSeeker
12/2/24
Question: Any rumors regarding production of a 16202 super clone in the near future? I mean, cloned Calibre 7121 movement and all (like the nicely cloned 4302s)?

Having smaller (6.8") wrists, I'd be willing to spend double what I spent on ZF v3 41mm 15500. Perhaps there are other small-wristed horologists who would also pay a premium for a better fit and a nicely cloned movement?

Any rumors welcome!

Reactions: mcboom

gilrob

Legendary Member
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Question: Any rumors regarding production of a 16202 super clone in the near future? I mean, cloned Calibre 7121 movement and all (like the nicely cloned 4302s)?

Having smaller (6.8") wrists, I'd be willing to spend double what I spent on ZF v3 41mm 15500. Perhaps there are other small-wristed horologists who would also pay a premium for a better fit and a nicely cloned movement?

Any rumors welcome!
Many members would like a rep 16202 with a clone 7121 movement, but it will take some time. However, your willingness to spend double for such a watch will give the makers an idea of what they can charge will hurt many members in the long run.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Many members would like a rep 16202 with a clone 7121 movement, but it will take some time. However, your willingness to spend double for such a watch will give the makers an idea of what they can charge will hurt many members in the long run.
He was just expressing his opinion and personal inclination and I think it’s fine. A single guy’s opinion will hardly determine the selling price of any watch. A guy can declare that he will pay 10x the price for whatever he wants any I doubt that the rep makers will produce and price the watch according to the single declaration. 😆

If you look at it, the 4302 and 3120 clones were all produced and prices remained sane. And those were the popular models. The factories will compete among themselves as well for the same market and the natural forces of demand and supply will always decide the eventual price. It’s always self-balancing so don’t worry.

McManus

Supporter
Certified
5/2/24
USA
I just picked up a DC AP 15202 for a price that I couldn't refuse. Has anyone attempted a swap from the solid rear case to the proper clear case back? Would it be worth it? Can't seem to find much on it via search. Where would I even buy the a clear back if it's doable? Or am I just being stupid.. I know it's quartz, so there might not be much to see back there.

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
I just picked up a DC AP 15202 for a price that I couldn't refuse. Has anyone attempted a swap from the solid rear case to the proper clear case back? Would it be worth it? Can't seem to find much on it via search. Where would I even buy the a clear back if it's doable? Or am I just being stupid.. I know it's quartz, so there might not be much to see back there.
Imho leave your watch as is and enjoy it. 😎

Reactions: gilrob

Jeremy83

Known Member
26/3/18
EU
The ZF AP's are described at trustytime888 as being 30m waterproof, I know then the maximum possible is a shower. but the Submariners are also described as 30m and I have already been able to test them at 100m/10ATM at the watchmaker. Do you think i could do that with the APs too? at least 5 or 8 atm for bathing? Or is the glass gonna break?
Thank you friends

wherewatch

15/2/24
If I only initially plan to replace the dial with a gen, which 41mm Royal Oak rep would appear closest to gen in person? The consensus here seems to be either the most recent ASPF 15500 or ZF 15500, but I'm open to other factories and models.

The eventual goal is to have a watch completely made of gen parts that replaced the rep parts over time.

wherewatch

15/2/24
If I only initially plan to replace the dial with a gen, which 41mm Royal Oak rep would appear closest to gen in person? The consensus here seems to be either the most recent ASPF 15500 or ZF 15500, but I'm open to other factories and models.

The eventual goal is to have a watch completely made of gen parts that replaced the rep parts over time.
FWIW, I discovered that 15400 gen dials are currently way more affordable than the 15500's and the rep 15400 movement can be modified to an instant date change like the rep 15500 movement has. With these facts considered, I pulled the trigger on an APSF 15400 and a gen dial. I also found a local watch repair shop who works on reps.

Very excited to begin this journey! Will post about it along the way. Feel free to send tips and questions along the way.

Reactions: silver.forever

Vitto2

Known Member
Patron
Certified
14/1/22
Hi Legend,
I have a question, I hope it's not stupid....
In the posted photos of the various APs I see gen dials and what not. However, the first thing I notice in the replicas are the steel screws like the case. Few times I have seen the screws replaced with white gold or plated gen ones.
In my opinion the first thing to do would be that because after a few years the gen screws take on the yellowish color typical of gold oxidation.
What do you think?
Vitto

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hi Legend,
I have a question, I hope it's not stupid....
In the posted photos of the various APs I see gen dials and what not. However, the first thing I notice in the replicas are the steel screws like the case. Few times I have seen the screws replaced with white gold or plated gen ones.
In my opinion the first thing to do would be that because after a few years the gen screws take on the yellowish color typical of gold oxidation.
What do you think?
Vitto

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
It depends on what model we are talking about. The later batches of 15400, 15450, 15500, 15510 all use stainless steel screws. So depending on what model you’re talking about the stainless steel screws may not be a tell. Most vintage models and earlier batches of the 15400 do have the white gold screws.

And no it’s definitely not a stupid question. Just a fact that’s often misunderstood.