• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

LuoIsBoss

I'm Pretty Popular
6/6/17
Scandinavia
Imho, gen id gen, rep is rep, franken is franken.

I wouldn’t say a genstein is gen - because it’s not,
nor is it a rep - because it’s not. A genstein is a franken because it’s cooked up

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Imho, gen id gen, rep is rep, franken is franken.

I wouldn’t say a genstein is gen - because it’s not,
nor is it a rep - because it’s not. A genstein is a franken because it’s cooked up

Yes correct. A genstein is quite special. It is a watch assembled with all gen parts, often sourced separately and over time. Technically it can be traded as a gen without papers (even the box can be procured). I do remember you almost completing one, with only the movement left correct? I really admire the dedication of guys who take the time to build gensteins, they are many levels up from building frankens.

Over the years in the hobby, I have seen guys happily wearing stock reps, frankens, and the spectrum in between and honestly it ultimately boils down not to the opinions of others, but just how happy the owner is with his build. It is mostly his own business. It is only when he chooses to share it and ask for feedback and opinions that it becomes the "business" of others, and the opinions given for the same watch are often varied and not everyone will like or dislike it the same way and that is totally fine. But sometimes I see guys getting into the hobby and trying very hard to convince himself (by trying to get concurrence of his opinions from others) that gens are overrated, or aren't worth their prices compared with frankens they happen to be building, that their builds will be 1:1 without flaws. That the $6000 or whatever that they spent on the watch is buying them equal prestige as the gen watch but without the hefty price tag. (A confident guy, by the way, can do the same with a $500 rep and no matter what the world sees, the owner will always 100% know that it is not a gen watch that he has on the wrist). But without the gen in the first place, the same rep cannot possibly exist. So there is always the inherent value and worth of any desirable genuine timepiece. It carries a part of the brand heritage, and is designed, produced, assembled, and basically brought into creation by the brand itself. It is THEN replicated by the chinese factories. The gen always has its own value and worth, and this is once again determined by the market and demand/supply situation. For someone who can afford it, the gen ALWAYS has its own value, seen from the perspective of the buyer spending the money, and often missed by the person who cannot see the logic of spending the sum.

That is why it is so important to be able to enjoy the hobby at one's own level and decide for oneself what is "good enough". Contentment is what makes a watch lovely on the wrist, NOT detail accuracy. A confident man pulls off anything he wears, and does not need a watch to prove himself. This is a replica watch community and it suffices to discuss replica watches without the need to compare them with gen luxury watches or worse, dismiss them as overpriced or having no worth etc. It is clear that replicas cannot exist without the gens in the first place. So by acknowledging replicas, we need to acknowledge the very thing which they are replicating. By all means, build a $7000 franken, or wear a $300 watch or a $50k gen or whatever, YOU will always know the inherent value of the watch no matter what the world sees on your wrist, and that is all that is needed if you stop to think about it.

Last edited:

LuoIsBoss

I'm Pretty Popular
6/6/17
Scandinavia
Yes correct. A genstein is quite special. It is a watch assembled with all gen parts, often sourced separately and over time. Technically it can be traded as a gen without papers (even the box can be procured). I do remember you almost completing one, with only the movement left correct? I really admire the dedication of guys who take the time to build gensteins, they are many levels up from building frankens.

Over the years in the hobby, I have seen guys happily wearing stock reps, frankens, and the spectrum in between and honestly it ultimately boils down not to the opinions of others, but just how happy the owner is with his build. It is mostly his own business. It is only when he chooses to share it and ask for feedback and opinions that it becomes the "business" of others, and the opinions given for the same watch are often varied and not everyone will like or dislike it the same way and that is totally fine. But sometimes I see guys getting into the hobby and trying very hard to convince himself (by trying to get concurrence of his opinions from others) that gens are overrated, or aren't worth their prices compared with frankens they happen to be building, that their builds will be 1:1 without flaws. That the $6000 or whatever that they spent on the watch is buying them equal prestige as the gen watch but without the hefty price tag. (A confident guy, by the way, can do the same with a $500 rep and no matter what the world sees, the owner will always 100% know that it is not a gen watch that he has on the wrist). But without the gen in the first place, the same rep cannot possibly exist. So there is always the inherent value and worth of any desirable genuine timepiece. It carries a part of the brand heritage, and is designed, produced, assembled, and basically brought into creation by the brand itself. It is THEN replicated by the chinese factories. The gen always has its own value and worth, and this is once again determined by the market and demand/supply situation. For someone who can afford it, the gen ALWAYS has its own value, seen from the perspective of the buyer spending the money, and often missed by the person who cannot see the logic of spending the sum.

That is why it is so important to be able to enjoy the hobby at one's own level and decide for oneself what is "good enough". Contentment is what makes a watch lovely on the wrist, NOT detail accuracy. A confident man pulls off anything he wears, and does not need a watch to prove himself. This is a replica watch community and it suffices to discuss replica watches without the need to compare them with gen luxury watches or worse, dismiss them as overpriced or having no worth etc. It is clear that replicas cannot exist without the gens in the first place. So by acknowledging replicas, we need to acknowledge the very thing which they are replicating. By all means, build a $7000 franken, or wear a $300 watch or a $50k gen or whatever, YOU will always know the inherent value of the watch no matter what the world sees on your wrist, and that is all that is needed if you stop to think about it.

Yes thats true and thats correct. I built a superfranken 26170st - was feeling so good on the wrist, but it didn’t feel Gen at all, it just looked like a genuine watch but didn’t feel genuine.

it was fun building and all, but now I sold it because I got a great offer (10.000$), so I took the chance - and I miss it a lot. But I want a Gen instead when I can afford it - a watch is can take to a Boutique and APSC without any worries. That’s what I want

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Yes thats true and thats correct. I built a superfranken 26170st - was feeling so good on the wrist, but it didn’t feel Gen at all, it just looked like a genuine watch but didn’t feel genuine.

it was fun building and all, but now I sold it because I got a great offer (10.000$), so I took the chance - and I miss it a lot. But I want a Gen instead when I can afford it - a watch is can take to a Boutique and APSC without any worries. That’s what I want

I like very much what you wrote because I think you get what gen APs are about (and therefore also what they are not) and you get what gen ownership is about.
Yes one can cram a watch full of gen AP parts but still is not an owner of an AP watch.
My point is that this is a rep community, and reps should be enjoyed for what they are in absolute ways, without comparisons with gens or disparagements to the worth of gens.

Reactions: Allure and leo6929

peterchao

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
Certified
19/3/16
46b1a8beca1a7503aa93759f30d59117.jpg

58e584033d98380dc3c93452d1078290.jpg

ce115b9a142e79073fd3cb63041983c9.jpg

ea9d5f168e275578121e0c7026558e64.jpg

932e4e1d4682fbe9c3e4fb9bf913ca6a.jpg

8375a17bac9b2681b1bcb8cfbdd0ce2a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JonathanLing91

Renowned Member
18/1/20
Cnc machined case set.
b9a7e9855f57c863ddac6436e840891e.png

eb5d6a0edf8b2f60dea6ae80a4e3f5c5.png

74f0fc303820d2f18e0ef64479497a9a.png

1b8168a33e2c1b299c36024b36fbeeba.png

93d9a78de6f2076734adfb9ceed14137.png

This is incredibly cool. Thanks for sharing. I’ve always dreamt of building a 26331st panda franken but parts are so hard to source. Mind if I pm you with you a few specific questions I have regarding the build?

peterchao

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
Certified
19/3/16
This is incredibly cool. Thanks for sharing. I’ve always dreamt of building a 26331st panda franken but parts are so hard to source. Mind if I pm you with you a few specific questions I have regarding the build?

Sure thing mate

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
Yes sir, gen hands, gen dial, gen dw and FP1185 movement. Thx for your kind words.

Congratulations for your amazing build
this is exactly the top franken build big modders are making

You used cartier movement?

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
Here a cartier watch that his movement is spot on to be used for this build

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
Yes sir, movement is from a donor Cartier Pasha

Congrats again mate
i think you are the first here with this top build

Wear it in good health

Please share with us photos when you get it

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
For anyone interested on 15202 build, buff is producing hands :
the downside is that they can not be used on miyota, gen k2121 movement is necessary (cost around 4k)

A nice 15202 build is:

Xf 15202+k2121+hands, dial is normally avoided as the cost is crazy (9-10k for sure)

Reactions: asanibal

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
the downside is that they can not be used on miyota, gen k2121 movement is necessary (cost around 4k)

A nice 15202 build is:

Xf 15202+k2121+hands, dial is normally avoided as the cost is crazy (9-10k for sure)

Thanks but I see no reason for building a 15202 franken without a gen dial. Too bad how certain gen dials are overpriced nowadays but on the other hand I'm grateful to rep factories, dealers and modders for letting us enjoy great replica watches.

asanibal

Renowned Member
19/10/08

A nice 15202 build is:

Or they are doing a clone movement or it has no sense to do this … why not doing them for Miyota?
Thousands vs. some couples ?

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
Or they are doing a clone movement or it has no sense to do this … why not doing them for Miyota?
Thousands vs. some couples ?

Lets hope so
we all need here good clone movements

Maybe the spot where the hour hand plug at the miyota is bigger thats why we see this pizza hands, and thats why they can't fix it better, just an hypothesis