• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VS3235 movement teardown

watchservicesny

I'm Pretty Popular
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
8/1/07
b9b702707f8b102467e73e77978588c8.jpg

Gen at the bottom
Rep DJ41 top

Now I believe sub and gmt with 32xx movement using smaller plate for date

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Zb9fR2.jpg

No appreciable difference between gen and rep dials.

The biggest difference is on the gen dial the lower step of the edge profile is unpainted, same as the gen 126334 dial. This would make it easier to ID a rep dial, if that step is painted.

A couple of other things I noticed are the gen fonts look slightly bolder throughout, particularly the SIBMARINER text. And the coronet is better looking on the gen - there's more body to it (spires are shorter), and the oval opening has a better shape. The bottom right foot serif on the rep ROLEX 'X' is cut off. These thing would be hard to spot on the rep unless next to a gen and under a loupe.

Gen on top in all pics.

ZbB7bs.jpg

ZbBvX3.jpg

ZbBuqn.jpg

Last edited:

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
The biggest difference is on the gen dial the lower step of the edge profile is unpainted, same as the gen 126334 dial. This would make it easier to ID a rep dial, if that step is painted.

A couple of other things I noticed are the gen fonts look slightly bolder throughout, particularly the SIBMARINER text. And the coronet is better looking on the gen - there's more body to it (spires are shorter), and the oval opening has a better shape. The bottom right foot serif on the rep ROLEX 'X' is cut off. These thing would be hard to spot on the rep unless next to a gen and under a loupe.

Gen on top in all pics.

[/IMG2]

ZbC2ZJ.jpg
ZbCKuo.jpg

You have a very sharp eye. Here are some clearer photos showing the text details on the VSF vs gen dials.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swiss Crown

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Nikz19 Any news on the DJ41 dial measurements bro? Another member is wondering about a potential fit in a GMF case.

McPwn

21/9/20
Anyone determined if the Sub VS3235 will take a Gen DJ date seating plate? Looks like the screws line up actually.

Logixa

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/17
Netherlands
It takes it but that plate can only be used with a datejust dial and datejust datewheel.

It won't work on sub dials and datewheel

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Anyone determined if the Sub VS3235 will take a Gen DJ date seating plate? Looks like the screws line up actually.

I bet it would, the movement is the same. The DJ just needed a larger diameter DW, and a bigger dial seat. The tooth rings on both the DW's look like they are both the same, so the same date finger and date jumper, etc would work.

McPwn

21/9/20
It takes it but that plate can only be used with a datejust dial and datejust datewheel.

It won't work on sub dials and datewheel

Yeah just saying, if you wanted to put a VS3235 in your ARF/GMF/etc DJ then you could harvest one out of a sub (which are coming in stock sporadically) and install the Gen DW plate.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

GTSpec

Horology Curious
18/3/18
🌏
Resurrecting an older thread here but I'll chime in just to confirm that the gen 3235 DJ41 seating plate fits the VS3235 and also fits in a gmf SA3235 case. Completed my swap a few weeks ago.

I would like to know if anyone has been able to do it with an arf case though, with minimal modification.

Last edited:

museguy

19/10/12
Hi @Logixa

Great thread and photographs!

Do you think the VS3235 is gone forever or will another factory pick up the manufacturing ?

Thank you,

Cheers

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Gold Patron
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK
Hey guys, sweet details!

Has anyone serviced the mainspring yet? Can the barrel complete/mainspring be swapped for a swiss?

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Hey guys, sweet details!

Has anyone serviced the mainspring yet? Can the barrel complete/mainspring be swapped for a swiss?

Yes. Direct swap with a gen mainspring and barrel. Runtime tested to 71.5 hours. I also have other gen parts installed.

Reactions: Solution6

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Gold Patron
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK
Yes. Direct swap with a gen mainspring and barrel. Runtime tested to 71.5 hours. I also have other gen parts installed.

Great stuff, thanks for confirming good sir.

I have one on the bench with very low amplitude and wanted to see what are my options in terms of the mainspring ;)

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Great stuff, thanks for confirming good sir.

I have one on the bench with very low amplitude and wanted to see what are my options in terms of the mainspring ;)

Amplitude is not high on these vs movements. My VS3235 measured 258° at full wind and a my gen 3230 movement measured 291° at full wind. What’s your running?

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Gold Patron
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK
Amplitude is not high on these vs movements. My VS3235 measured 258° at full wind and a my gen 3230 movement measured 291° at full wind. What’s your running?

Great bit of info, thanks for this!

I did end up digging a bit more info on these movements (should have done it before the service as it would have saved me two strip-downs, the escape wheel jewels are the most fun to work with, lol)

The mainspring on this one had a bit too much barrel grease transferred onto it but won’t change it just yet.

240-256

Now I can leave it as it is :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk