• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VS3235 movement teardown

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
I believe you need to move the arm on the right (fat one) a micro-smidge to the left.

Without a timegrapher, it'll be a panful exercise I'm patience, as it's super sensitive and you're likely to go from 20 seconds slow pee day to 40 seconds fast.

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
I believe you need to move the arm on the right (fat one) a micro-smidge to the left.

I think the fat arm is the stud (which regulates beat error) as the hair spring terminates at this arm (see pic below). As such, if I had to guess, the thin arm is the regulator....which I believe needs to be nudged to the left to shorten the hairspring and speed things up bit. Don't think I'll mess with it unless someone can confirm with certainty....but thanks for your input SS72!

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
I think the fat arm is the stud (which regulates beat error) as the hair spring terminates at this arm (see pic below). As such, if I had to guess, the thin arm is the regulator....which I believe needs to be nudged to the left to shorten the hairspring and speed things up bit. Don't think I'll mess with it unless someone can confirm with certainty....but thanks for your input SS72!

Right you are. I couldn't see which one it terminated on and thought it terminated on the left one.

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Right you are. I couldn't see which one it terminated on and thought it terminated on the left one.

Thanks for the confirmation mate. Any thoughts on the fine tuning screw? Presumably it regulates timing as well and follows the regulation arm for effect (ie CW to speed up, ACW to slow down)?

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Thanks for the confirmation mate. Any thoughts on the fine tuning screw? Presumably it regulates timing as well and follows the regulation arm for effect (ie CW to speed up, ACW to slow down)?

That screw is used to regulate balance wheel’s axial clearance.

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
That screw is used to regulate balance wheel’s axial clearance.

Not quite sure what you mean by axial clearance...but it sounds like that screw should NOT be touched if doing a simple adjustment (nudge) to the regulation arm. Do you agree?

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Not quite sure what you mean by axial clearance...but it sounds like that screw should NOT be touched if doing a simple adjustment (nudge) to the regulation arm. Do you agree?

Axial clearance means the balance wheel can move up and down its axis. That screw is used to regulate the balance height, an amateur shouldn’t touch it.

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Thanks Nikz19! Glad I asked as that screw was the first thing I was planning to fiddle with.

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Thanks Nikz19! Glad I asked as that screw was the first thing I was planning to fiddle with.
Leave that screw as is!
Oh and to answer your other question: on your pic, the right arm modifies the beat. Left one, timing. So you’re looking to work on that one.

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Oh and to answer your other question: on your pic, the right arm modifies the beat. Left one, timing. So you’re looking to work on that one.

Thanks for the guidance Nikz19! One last question if you don't mind: I've noticed the brass rectangle on top of the regulation arm is often in different states of rotation in the various pics I've seen of the 3235 movement. Is that brass rectangle for fine tuning the timing? In other words, for major adjustments to timing, you move the full arm and for fine tuning you simply twist the brass rectangle. Is that correct?

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Thanks for the guidance Nikz19! One last question if you don't mind: I've noticed the brass rectangle on top of the regulation arm is often in different states of rotation in the various pics I've seen of the 3235 movement. Is that brass rectangle for fine tuning the timing? In other words, for major adjustments to timing, you move the full arm and for fine tuning you simply twist the brass rectangle. Is that correct?

No, to modify timing all you have to do is move the arm itself left or right. The “brass rectangle” is only keeping the studs in position. Be aware it’s highly sensitive, so a really small movement of the arm means huge adjustment.

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
No, to modify timing all you have to do is move the arm itself left or right. The “brass rectangle” is only keeping the studs in position. Be aware it’s highly sensitive, so a really small movement of the arm means huge adjustment.

Understood and noted...grazie!

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Is there definitive answer as to whether a gen dial will fit VSF 126610? I've read a lot of comments and am still confused.

Logixa

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/17
Netherlands
there are 2 versions of the date seater bridge and dial. sub's version and a datejust version. as long as you have the correct date seater bridge, it will fit

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
there are 2 versions of the date seater bridge and dial. sub's version and a datejust version. as long as you have the correct date seater bridge, it will fit

So the vsf sub 126610 comes in two versions of dial and date seater bridge? If so I'll have to pull mine apart to see which one I have. Is there a way to know without a teardown?

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
So the vsf sub 126610 comes in two versions of dial and date seater bridge? If so I'll have to pull mine apart to see which one I have. Is there a way to know without a teardown?

The dial is the same.
But there has been reports that the early batch of 3235 has a different date seater to the laters.

Reactions: WatchSmith.US

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

If you just decase the movement you can observe the shape of the dial. You can see if it has the underside rim protrusions and the stairstep edge profile. Both of those characteristics will positively ID the dial as a gen-spec 126610 dial.

The DJ41 dial is bigger and has a larger date indicator seating and datewheel. There were reports that early VSF 126610s had a 3135 date indicator seating and datewheel - if so they could not have had a gen-spec 3235 dial as that dial needs the lateral protrusions of the 3235 date indicator seating to keep it fixed rotationally. There are no dial feet on the 3235 Sub dial.

Z0xqan.jpg

So if your dial looks like this one, it is gen-spec.

Z0xyAY.jpg

Z0xOFs.jpg

Last edited: