• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF RM55, new super clone movement

Stuart Pitt

Supporter
Certified
29/5/21
US
Best 055 replica so far, but rough looking painted ribs.
Keeping my milled rib v1 while I will wait for the next version.

greenbeans

12/9/20
Yes agreed, especially as they make up such a big part of the aesthetics of this watch.

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
Yas Marina is calling me... fuck I just got the BBR though
I want this as well but the rehaut and crown color still seems off. It should me more green ish. See the Font color on the case back for Yas that's the right color for the bezel.

Gen:

Rep:

Last edited:

fletch512

9/5/06
My thoughts, as well. The ribs look completely painted (rather than an elevated part of the front bridge) and pretty grainy - almost like ZF is trying to create a more sparkly reflective appearance. The gen has milled, slightly brushed raised metal ribs that certainly shimmer, but can also appear dark when not in direct light. I believe the BBR RM055 has paint applied to raised (plastic?) ribs, but at least they try to imitate the brushed metal of the gen. I'm not the biggest fan of the print quality on the rehaut (Look at the splotchy Richard Mille at 12 o'clock).

All minor gripes, I'm sure you'll agree, and no one will call out your ZF at wrist distance as you're driving your Bentley to your private jet. Still, how much money is ZF really saving by powder coating the ribs like that?

• Haha
Reactions: 5711 and Mkempes

Stuart Pitt

Supporter
Certified
29/5/21
US
If you download and view actual size the first two images in the thread, the ribs are raised and slight overspray is seen, they look too shallow to be milled.
The original isn't of one piece with the structure under the rehaut, because that is hard rubber to absorb shock.
I'll forgive that detail if it's essentially the same visually, which ZF did on the front.
I can't explain what they're going for at the rear attachment points, looks like they didn't even try.

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
I hope ZF can get the finishing up to the level of their v1, that was absolutely fantastically finished and the light playing over the ribs and hands was mesmerizing. BBR nailed the hands on the v3 finally but no one's yet made a (mass market) rep that lives up to the level of finishing of the original ZF imho. The new movement, if reliable and proven, with the finishing from the original would be a stunner.

fletch512

9/5/06
If you download and view actual size the first two images in the thread, the ribs are raised and slight overspray is seen, they look too shallow to be milled.
The original isn't of one piece with the structure under the rehaut, because that is hard rubber to absorb shock.
I'll forgive that detail if it's essentially the same visually, which ZF did on the front.
I can't explain what they're going for at the rear attachment points, looks like they didn't even try.
The ribs are certainly raised a bit on the ZF, but hard to tell whether the paint is applied on top of an actual raised rib, or whether the sparkly paint is just thickly coated on the front bridge. Below are two close-up, the first a gen 055 and the second the ZF rep. It's pretty clear the gen has a brushed metal rib while the gen has some sort of grainy sparkly paint, similar to what's applied on the watch hands. I guess it's too much work to mill or apply metal ribs on the rep (we know the rep industry isn't very good at keeping indices aligned, much less these small ribs), but the paint application will create a different kind of look and light reflection. Maybe better, may be worse, but the ZF movement took away the unnecessary bulk at 7 o'clock that was a tell on the BBR but then made some other alterations to the front and back which aren't consistent with the gen. As always, one step forward, one step back, and one step sideways.

pleasebegentle:)

Getting To Know The Place
Supporter
7/8/22
This actually is a variation on the gen too. There are some (likely earlier) watches for 55, 61 that are using the S shaped spring.
you're right, this is a gen grey 55 available in my city
KNZSn8.jpeg

trtr

Renowned Member
10/3/13
Curious what everyone thinks about the side profile case shape.

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
I hope ZF can get the finishing up to the level of their v1, that was absolutely fantastically finished and the light playing over the ribs and hands was mesmerizing. BBR nailed the hands on the v3 finally but no one's yet made a (mass market) rep that lives up to the level of finishing of the original ZF imho. The new movement, if reliable and proven, with the finishing from the original would be a stunner.
You're sayiing ZF finishing on v1 is almost flawless? Which means unlike BBR, we may not have to wait for v2 or v3 on ZF?

Bombardier

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
12/11/20
I want all ti, white and blue ceramic :love::ROFLMAO:

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
You're sayiing ZF finishing on v1 is almost flawless? Which means unlike BBR, we may not have to wait for v2 or v3 on ZF?
I'm saying those original ZFs with the deco plates and Seiko movements were finished amazingly, but from the shots here it looks like this ZF with the cloned movement is not finished as well. I don't think it's painted on on either watch, just different levels of brushing and attention to detail. Whether or not ZF will up the finishing for this clone movement remains to be seen, but it would be a quick way to make an improvement for a v2.

nobigdeal2010

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
11/11/13
USA
The ribs are certainly raised a bit on the ZF, but hard to tell whether the paint is applied on top of an actual raised rib, or whether the sparkly paint is just thickly coated on the front bridge. Below are two close-up, the first a gen 055 and the second the ZF rep. It's pretty clear the gen has a brushed metal rib while the gen has some sort of grainy sparkly paint, similar to what's applied on the watch hands. I guess it's too much work to mill or apply metal ribs on the rep (we know the rep industry isn't very good at keeping indices aligned, much less these small ribs), but the paint application will create a different kind of look and light reflection. Maybe better, may be worse, but the ZF movement took away the unnecessary bulk at 7 o'clock that was a tell on the BBR but then made some other alterations to the front and back which aren't consistent with the gen. As always, one step forward, one step back, and one step sideways.

Good observation. The problem with ZF painting the ribs and not milling them will be the reflection at certain angles. On the genuine movement, the milled ribs turn black and nearly match the bridge color at certain angles. I doubt the painted surface on the ZF ribs will do the same

Stuart Pitt

Supporter
Certified
29/5/21
US
The original looks brushed with its parallel fine lines, so the less fine milled ZF v1 wouldn't really be accurate either.
It would be hard to paint with the precision seen, the pattern is random, so maybe laser etched?

Reactions: GiantSquid

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
I've tried to paint stuff like that and even with pad printing the work shown here would be a gigantic pain in the ass to get right. I think they're both milled but the ZF clone isn't brushed as finely. The BBR v3 has the correctly finished hands but the bridges are also roughly finished. It's one of those things that you don't ever notice except in real life and once you do you can't unsee it. I still have my OG ZF non-clone because the finishing is that good.