• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF RM55, new super clone movement

nirvana0002

Known Member
7/3/18
There are tons of reviews of this new movement on Chinese video site already, however it's BBR V3, not ZF's.

Paul Newman

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
31/3/15
There are tons of reviews of this new movement on Chinese video site already, however it's BBR V3, not ZF's.
Not the same mate

seanizcool

Known Member
3/9/21
BBR v3 and this one they're showing are different movements. My biggest problem was always around the escape wheel and it looks like ZF has it pretty close this time, the BBR has some extra bit covering some of it

trtr

Renowned Member
10/3/13

This is not the new movement and different to what puretime posted.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Section Moderator
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Very interesting. The choice to go with a regulated balance on the rep vs. a free sprung balance on the gen (red arrows) makes sense. But the choice of design for the center seconds damping spring (blue arrow) is very different and I’m not sure why… usually rep movements go for simple spring designs e.g. on the JLC 925 rep movement the click spring is a simple cantilever on the rep vs. a coil spring on the gen. Whereas here, the rep center seconds damping spring looks like quite a complex geometry S-shaped spring that swoops under the lattice of the mainplate. Maybe this is because getting the damping force right to avoid second hand stutter is harder or requires tighter manufacturing tolerances for a cantilever spring vs. the S-Shape on the rep.

derjenigewelcher

Watch enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Anything known from this movement talking about how reliable it is? Or is it like the BBR rubbish first batch RMUL Mod movement?

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
Very interesting. The choice to go with a regulated balance on the rep vs. a free sprung balance on the gen (red arrows) makes sense. But the choice of design for the center seconds damping spring (blue arrow) is very different and I’m not sure why… usually rep movements go for simple spring designs e.g. on the JLC 925 rep movement the click spring is a simple cantilever on the rep vs. a coil spring on the gen. Whereas here, the rep center seconds damping spring looks like quite a complex geometry S-shaped spring that swoops under the lattice of the mainplate. Maybe this is because getting the damping force right to avoid second hand stutter is harder or requires tighter manufacturing tolerances for a cantilever spring vs. the S-Shape on the rep.

Yeah that spring threw me for a loop when I first saw it. I don't recognize it but it could be an off-the-shelf part from another movement made by the same factory perhaps?

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14

This actually is a variation on the gen too. There are some (likely earlier) watches for 55, 61 that are using the S shaped spring.

Last edited:

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Section Moderator
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Ok upon further inspection, I think what I thought was an S-shaped center seconds damping spring might actually be the click spring. I noted the direction of rotation for each of the intermediate winding pinions from the crown to the first mainspring, and I can’t find any component of the movement other than the S-shaped spring that could serve as a click to prevent the mainspring from discharging back to the crown. There’s even a little hole in the spring (presumably for a tool — blue arrow) to allow a watchmaker to hold the click and safely unwind the mainspring prior to disassembly for service.

From the front there’s also a visible difference between the two movements in the area where the click must be. On the gen the bridges are cut away (purple arrow) whereas on the rep the bridge is solid (yellow arrow).

greenbeans

12/9/20
Ok upon further inspection, I think what I thought was an S-shaped center seconds damping spring might actually be the click spring. I noted the direction of rotation for each of the intermediate winding pinions from the crown to the first mainspring, and I can’t find any component of the movement other than the S-shaped spring that could serve as a click to prevent the mainspring from discharging back to the crown. There’s even a little hole in the spring (presumably for a tool — blue arrow) to allow a watchmaker to hold the click and safely unwind the mainspring prior to disassembly for service.

From the front there’s also a visible difference between the two movements in the area where the click must be. On the gen the bridges are cut away (purple arrow) whereas on the rep the bridge is solid (yellow arrow).

Great analysis. Do we know if both mainsprings will be functional?