• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Another sneak peek.

ec8873ad06cb315f47641dbe8e7402a1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sexy and she knows it!

Out of curiosity, are there Swiss Made aftermarket spare parts available for these in case required during a future service? I assume gen spare parts are ultra rare.

WTB PAM 243M HFv3 or Noob v2

nsk2135

1/1/17
CONUS
Thanks T, you are very kind to me. I am looking forward to whatever builds you choose to do whenever you choose to do them, T. Recently I had been refreshing my knowledges of the 42mm FC ROOs, studying videos and images of SGPs and BBs on the web, and for BB and SGP Frankens I think the 3.5 (not 3.0) mm thick gen ROO crystal is really de rigeur for achieving the right profile. It means additional case machining (very nasty with Chinese FC because of the toxic particles released), of course, but will be well worth it in the end, as the weight of the build will be sunk lower on the wrist, and a slight reduction in thickness can be achieved along with a gen profile. Since everything here on this SGP was machined clean and precisely on a 8mm lathe, I am hoping that I can get a good WP rating on this case set, as that always seemed the weak point of previous FC Frankens I saw. I think that will be possible here as all the internal gaskets were preserved along the way and the finish on the FC is smooth after machining and epoxy remedies. One thing though that I learned though which reduces my enjoyment in this kind of project (I would give it a fun level rating of 2 out 10, LOL) is that, while it is easy to approach FC as a material that is sort of a wood-like combo of plastic and carbon, that does not mean it is easier to machine than SS. In fact, it is a lot more nerve-wracking, with a very deceptive faux hardness and stability. Maybe that is the reason many modders never repositioned the crown on some previous BB Frankens, and bodged the tachymeter assembly. But who knows...

To add to this, I've worked with cf in building a cf violin. That stuff is absolutely nasty. I was younger then, but I knew carbon dust is really bad for your lungs, so I'd wear full PPE in NY August weather. For those who don't know, it gets really humid around that time.

18pLxGA.jpg

3P3k30E.jpg

Imagine cutting through all of this plus the side walls...more than 3 times! (3 complete violins, many mistakes along the way)

But it was worth it when I got to this:

w5mHXmY.jpg

It's a shame, looking back, that I didn't document this. But slaughterer62 I really admire what you've done for this community. When I first considered building a violin (a hobby I was into at the time), there were no resources I could turn to: No forums, no books, few internet resources. Most importantly, nobody to set me in the right direction or let me know that I was even asking the right questions. Everyone at RWI should appreciate the invaluable resources we have here in slaughterer and other members (Sorry for not naming each one =p).

At the same time, though, this isn't an endorsement to PM each one with questions that can be searched up i.e. best sub?? I've seen these sort of new posts pop up on my feed incessantly these past few months, and if it can jade me, I can only imagine what more senior members are thinking......

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
nsk2135, thanks for the kind words. I really like your violin. I was turned on to synthetic materials for instruments through Steinberger electric guitars/basses. But your violin is cooler.

Reactions: nsk2135

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
nsk2135 Sir, I can only agree with what you’ve said. I can assure everyone that slaughterer62 is a gentleman in his own league. The knowledge, skills and energy devoted by him to this hobby are simply dwarfed by his kindness and willingness to lend a helping hand. I’ve learned so much from the man in the last couple of years, I simply cannot thank him enough.

And yes, there are numerous other members that make this place so special, that’s what makes us come back here on and on, irrespectively of how busy our daily routines are, and how supposedly important our vocations are.

So here’s to this little community of ours and its special membership!! I’ll drink to that tonight :)

nsk2135

1/1/17
CONUS
tosoboso already did! =p And I completely agree, a true gentleman by all accounts.

Thank you for the kind words, slaughterer62 . I purposely picked the most photogenic picture of one of the violins, but they're not nearly as pretty in real life. Still damn proud of them, though.

​​​​​​​

theREALgoat

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
14/8/14
Sexy and she knows it!

Out of curiosity, are there Swiss Made aftermarket spare parts available for these in case required during a future service? I assume gen spare parts are ultra rare.

WTB PAM 243M HFv3 or Noob v2

They're extremely rare or impossible to come by and if you manage to find the right part be prepared to pay an arm and a leg. I paid $400 for a pinion cannon for my 3120, my project was dead in the water without it.

With AP bringing their servicing in-house supply chains to repair shops will dry up, thus spare parts will become unavailable.

roJGW9p.jpg

Q8Vb7Cm.jpg

zaeim

I'm Pretty Popular
15/2/16
zaeim lmk if you ever want to sell or trade for that Survivor. will make sure it has a good home on my wrist ????

Ok mate i will let you know, but I just received it back from Domi he install a Gen Cyclops I will poste some pictures :)

Reactions: MrBeasy

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
zaeim - Just WOW :) You have a very special piece, enjoy it! Really glad all the puzzle pieces came together so nicely

Reactions: zaeim

MrBeasy

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/2/16
This survivor is unreal zaeim. A grail of mine I hope to get my hands on (buy or build) one day.

What are the specs?

Reactions: antotony0203