• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
amazing build! did you attempt to thin the mid case? can't imagine you had fun cleaning the lathe and still find carbon dust days later

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
amazing build! did you attempt to thin the mid case? can't imagine you had fun cleaning the lathe and still find carbon dust days later

Here is a pic of the carbon dust I have been complaining about. I am sure it is carcinogenic
BIYRsPl.jpg

Here is a blurry iPhone pic of the side profile without bezel and bezel gasket. You see how much real estate the gen Xtal takes on the top of the tachy assembly:

xWtpXzt.jpg

To answer your question about mid-case thinning. The rep mid-case is a proper thickness, and to thin it would mean I would not have enough space to lower the crown tube. The top 4/5ths of the 15.5mm thick rep case is properly proportioned. It is the case back which needs thinning to retain gen proportions. Luckily, even with a movement holder deeply sunk into the mid-case, there is not much rotor protruding from the bottom, so that you can safely shave 1.5mm from the caseback.

8NLsydY.jpg

I am done documenting this build. Somebody else should jump in with their exciting Franken AP build. I feel I have overdone it on this thread and I want to lurk for the rest of the year. It seems people in the AP section are more interested in purple tourbillons than engineering. ;)

Last edited:

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
slaughterer62 As rightly pointed out by you Sir, the AP subsection has become rather unhappy place. I remember the times when people were still happily developing new projects and sharing their stories. Now, it’s mostly QC help and versions advice seeking place.

The usual suspects have mostly gone underground, myself included although I never reached those real pioneers in knowledge or experience. I hope this trend will change at one point but I can’t see any signs of that just yet. Certainly I cannot remember more than a couple of names of recent/new members that have been truly enthusiastic about this hobby. opne comes to mind here, but that’s not enough anyways.

We may want to launch a mentoring programme, where less experienced members that have the time and resources to work on AP projects will get mentored by the more established ones :) They may create personal project threads and the rest of us can offer advice and support where possible.

I for one would love to see someone pick up my roc project where I left off and get that perfected.

Reactions: MrBeasy and opne

tinitonsi

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
21/3/14
Happy to oblige... but just as a sidenote, while it is a nice Offshore, I cannot believe they charge nearly $40k for this, LOL. I am stopping AP Frankens for awhile as I have gotten swarmed by Rolex Frankens. Everybody wants a Franken sub or 'tona now.

5EeDiDf.jpg

LGWFg60.jpg

Well done, J. Very nice built indeed ;)

jpohl402

10/7/12
slaughterer62 Wow!!! That Singapore GP is absolutely incredible, and what a beauty!!!
Amazing work as always, and what a unique franken, made with hours of love, dedication, & most importantly PATIENCE!!
Hats off to you!!

Reactions: tosoboso

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
slaughterer62 Sir, show us your best sub ;)

And then I might get back into the habbit of bugging the big guys with requests for parts and stuff :)

But no, seriously, I’m passing on new projects. Too much trouble and cash for my taste, for the time being.

And still, is it true that you are working on a clone of the 3126 and will be launching your own made in Germany line? Or that’s just a rumour?)

ZenWatch

GENSTEIN
Supporter
Patron
Certified
18/5/17
CONUS
In process AP White Themes on bracelet. Spongebob is modding the case currently. Hoping to have it back in a few weeks.

Royal Oak Offshore White Theme full Parts:
25721ST.OO.1000ST.07

1. GEN Audemars Piguet White themes dial
  2. Mikey back plate
  3. Mikey Tachy
  4. Mikey Hour/Minute hand lumed by Slaughterer62
  5. Mikey Datewheel Classic
  6. Mikey push screws (pair) to push LWO levers more reliably
  7. 2xAR Cyclops by Rnrprof
  8. GEN chrono hand, and sub dial hands
  9. Brand new LWO283 movement
  10. AP Royal Oak Offshore Panda JFAC donor case
  11. SS bracelet (old style)

MrBeasy

8/2/16
lmk if you want to sell or trade for this one day.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

MrBeasy

8/2/16
zaeim lmk if you ever want to sell or trade for that Survivor. will make sure it has a good home on my wrist ????

Reactions: zaeim

MrBeasy

8/2/16
This one is new.

I know it's not the first 44mm franken panda built but it might be the second?

And I think it's the first 44mm with a gen AP3126 movement (but I could be wrong).. bring on that clear caseback!

I think I know this one :) good catch, enjoy it

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
MrBeasy taking it to a new level with open back gen movement!! We want to see some more pictures when it arrives.

who will be the first to build a franken with >2014 dial?

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
This one is new.

I know it's not the first 44mm franken panda built but it might be the second?

And I think it's the first 44mm with a gen AP3126 movement (but I could be wrong).. bring on that clear caseback!

Hm, that’s ven better :) my bad - there was a similar one on RG a couple of years back and it was put together by the not so cool anymore workshop that used to produce certain GP builds with varying success. Their work was clearly not on par with that of the best modders we’re all happy to have here, so your build not coming from them is a good thing :)

Enjoy it either way, it’s a fantastic build!

Reactions: MrBeasy and Garuda