• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
bj1BBIT.jpg

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Thanks T, I was going to go to the gym, but then I spent 6 hours on that SGP FC case. The carbon particles released from the rep FC case while milling are probably the nastiest, most toxic particles I have ever encountered. One I finish cleaning them up, I will finish with the relocation of the crown tube, fiddle with the pusher lengths and slap together the dial/hands/movement. Should be fun now that the ugly stuff has been done. Has anyone done a SGP Franken already? .

Reactions: antotony0203

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
After another 4 hours of work on the rep mid-case, I can install the gen Xtal and achieve a gen side profile. The rep tachymeter assembly needs to be sunk into the FC case a good 2mm to achieve this.
WwsV2T5.jpg

Those who know me, know that I am not a fan of epoxy, but I want to achieve a good water proof rating with this FC build. So I am using my trusty 2-part Gurit boat repair epoxy to seal the crown tube and the pusher tubes from the inside. Gurit has a really good WP rating (it is used to repair boats after all!) but has a downside in that the hardener often forms tiny bubbles when mixed. Other than that, it is really the best epoxy I have found for this application:

JqMidbK.jpg

I will be doing the requisite water proof tests before final assembly, so further photos of this project will take a little while.

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
After another 4 hours of work on the rep mid-case, I can install the gen Xtal and achieve a gen side profile.

Sir, your dedication to this hobby is unparalleled... I have just the right dial for a build like this. I hope you will still be in the mood for such complex work when I finally come around to that build :)

Thank you for the continuous inspiration

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Thanks T, you are very kind to me. I am looking forward to whatever builds you choose to do whenever you choose to do them, T. Recently I had been refreshing my knowledges of the 42mm FC ROOs, studying videos and images of SGPs and BBs on the web, and for BB and SGP Frankens I think the 3.5 (not 3.0) mm thick gen ROO crystal is really de rigeur for achieving the right profile. It means additional case machining (very nasty with Chinese FC because of the toxic particles released), of course, but will be well worth it in the end, as the weight of the build will be sunk lower on the wrist, and a slight reduction in thickness can be achieved along with a gen profile. Since everything here on this SGP was machined clean and precisely on a 8mm lathe, I am hoping that I can get a good WP rating on this case set, as that always seemed the weak point of previous FC Frankens I saw. I think that will be possible here as all the internal gaskets were preserved along the way and the finish on the FC is smooth after machining and epoxy remedies. One thing though that I learned though which reduces my enjoyment in this kind of project (I would give it a fun level rating of 2 out 10, LOL) is that, while it is easy to approach FC as a material that is sort of a wood-like combo of plastic and carbon, that does not mean it is easier to machine than SS. In fact, it is a lot more nerve-wracking, with a very deceptive faux hardness and stability. Maybe that is the reason many modders never repositioned the crown on some previous BB Frankens, and bodged the tachymeter assembly. But who knows...

nine

Known Member
17/9/13
Great idea! Currently building 1x 15202 and 3x 14790s. Thinking about 15400 and 15300 next b/c dials aren't as hard to find and the dials really make thoes watches (+doesnt need much case mods)

@slaughterer62 I find the gen 14790 dials to be a bit narrower in diameter which makes new case ring/bezel necessary. Was this also the case for you or did you find a way around this?

would you share some info. your 15202 biuld? I mlooking for the right case, it`s case and caseback together, it only can open on bezel.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
In the style of the liner notes of a big production recording: thanks to AP for making this really nice dial and Xtal, thanks to Schwarz Etienne and DD for the movement, thanks to JF for making this FC case set that I spent 9 hours modifying, thanks to Mikey for making at least 10 parts without which my life would be infinitely more complex and this build would be not what it is at all, thanks to Prof for the best cyclopses and processing my gen Xtals with his superb AR coating, thanks to the guy in Texas who helped with parts acquisition, thanks to tosoboso for facilitating some things along the way last summer, thanks to Domi for helping me understand this dark science better, thanks to Limpy for engineering help and coming to visit me with his great part, thanks to my wife and neighbors for putting up with the noise of an 8mm lathe running for hours on end... I know I am forgetting somebody...
oJTQsjG.jpg

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
More pics, J.. More pics.....

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Happy to oblige... but just as a sidenote, while it is a nice Offshore, I cannot believe they charge nearly $40k for this, LOL. I am stopping AP Frankens for awhile as I have gotten swarmed by Rolex Frankens. Everybody wants a Franken sub or 'tona now.

5EeDiDf.jpg

LGWFg60.jpg

ap@12

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/12/12
Happy to oblige... but just as a sidenote, while it is a nice Offshore, I cannot believe they charge nearly $40k for this, LOL. I am stopping AP Frankens for awhile as I have gotten swarmed by Rolex Frankens. Everybody wants a Franken sub or 'tona now.

5EeDiDf.jpg

LGWFg60.jpg

very nice build J

Reactions: blackboxes