• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
@Reaps An offshore franken is 4K minimum and months if not a year sourcing parts and more time to assemble it. It’s no easy task unless you buy franken kits and all the parts for asking price lol. Things like Mikey hands lower the cost but eventually if you want the lowest end franken imagine a long term project if you nab parts over time. For instance I’ve been holding on to vampire franken parts for months and only saw a donor watch pop up once in 6 months lol. Newer offshore models made by APS don’t allow for frankening like old JF versions. So far it’s been, $850 dial tachy, $650 lwo, $450 donor, $250 datewheel and hands. Modding I imagine close to $750. So overall 3k. I could sell you these parts and you’d be in for close to your budget minus the modding.

Reaps

-
25/9/22
@Reaps An offshore franken is 4K minimum and months if not a year sourcing parts and more time to assemble it. It’s no easy task unless you buy franken kits and all the parts for asking price lol. Things like Mikey hands lower the cost but eventually if you want the lowest end franken imagine a long term project if you nab parts over time. For instance I’ve been holding on to vampire franken parts for months and only saw a donor watch pop up once in 6 months lol. Newer offshore models made by APS don’t allow for frankening like old JF versions. So far it’s been, $850 dial tachy, $650 lwo, $450 donor, $250 datewheel and hands. Modding I imagine close to $750. So overall 3k. I could sell you these parts and you’d be in for close to your budget minus the modding.
That's mighty tempting but I'm looking at a Safari. Nice to know however, that the APS base isn't good for modding and so I'll have to hunt for a JF. Additionally thank you for the advice and time frame and budget, it's good to get a sense of how this might turn out.

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
That's mighty tempting but I'm looking at a Safari. Nice to know however, that the APS base isn't good for modding and so I'll have to hunt for a JF. Additionally thank you for the advice and time frame and budget, it's good to get a sense of how this might turn out.

Safaris dial and tachy are 2k because of their popularity so keep that in mind.

• Haha
Reactions: Reaps

Reaps

-
25/9/22
If you want to wear something respectable on the wrist, be prepared to spend a respectable amount of money. After all these years I’ve realized that there are no two ways around it.
This advice can be applied to not just watches but most items in life. Thank you legend 🫡

VII

I'm gonna make you an offer you can't refuse
Supporter
Certified
14/10/23
Geneva
And why would you want to do that at all?
I did my research and learned a lesson; “focus on the details!” I initially thought that the dial is 1:1 - but there are so many differences and the date cut out is placed somewhere else. On ebay you can find a few 15400 dials for an “ok” price, that was my initial motivation to look for it. Anyway, I will look in to 15500 dials (if I ever find one:)) and hands for my first AP project. Happy weekend all!

Reactions: germanynrw

CoffeeMug12

Horology Curious
12/7/23
usa
Hi everyone! I've recently picked up a R8F AP Tourbillion and was wondering if any of you had suggestions on what to mod on it? Possibly polishing and replating? Would any gen AP hands fit on it? Who to talk to to get a "better" dial? Any advice is appreciated! :)

germanynrw

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
5/11/22
Germany
I did my research and learned a lesson; “focus on the details!” I initially thought that the dial is 1:1 - but there are so many differences and the date cut out is placed somewhere else. On ebay you can find a few 15400 dials for an “ok” price, that was my initial motivation to look for it. Anyway, I will look in to 15500 dials (if I ever find one:)) and hands for my first AP project. Happy weekend all!
If you found one under 4-5k, tell us bro. So expensive, and rare.

Reactions: VII

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Yes there are gen 15400 dials available (and also 15500 ones for that matter) but 15400 dials, as the eponymous name suggests, are meant for the 15400 and the 15500 dials fit the 15500. Both the Rolex 116610 submariner and the yachtmaster are 40mm but it won’t mean the dials are interchangeable unless you want to create a fantasy piece. 😆
15500 dials are a lot more rare but they are available if you know whom to ask. Just please use the 15400 dials to build a 15400 and not a 15500, the cases may both be 41mm but they are different geometrically, and the movements are different as well.
So if you’re after a 15500 build, there is only one dial type to consider and it isn’t the 15400 one.

Mark1937

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
25/3/17
Could you kindly tell me if the 15450 APSF accepts dial gen without mods?

Thanks

Reactions: j21

Martycus

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
1/10/14
CONUS
Could you kindly tell me if the 15450 APSF accepts dial gen without mods?

Thanks

I came across this post recently when I looked into a project; the answer will depend on the movement you're using.

It depends on the movement. If it’s a 3120 clone movement you can possibly fit the gen dial without cutting the feet. Gen bezel will likely fit direct or just need slight mods to fit it.

Reactions: j21