• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF Submariner VS3235 Gen Parts Installation Project

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Hello friend, do you know how to fix the broken stem and crown. Mine has been broken :(
You’re going to need a pin vise (and maybe a soldering iron) to get the old stem out of the crown. Then you’ll need a new stem. You can buy 3235 stems on AliExpress.

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
@Jason171912 Eventually, everyone has to deal with a broken stem.

There is a new listing for genuine 3235 stems on eBay. Going with a genuine stem is not cheap but a high quality stem just might save you and your watch from the misery of future triage and teardown when a bit of broken stem gets lost in the movement. Don’t ask me how I know this.

Reactions: dogwood

engbanna1

Known Member
29/5/23
KSA
@dogwood An amazing project, thanks for sharing. I think I will start my journey soon.

1- Did this project at all improve the sloppiness of the crown when adjusting the time and date?
2- Can you shed some light on the total cost for these gen parts? I have noticed that you have asked several times but never gave a clear answer. I know it may differ from a vendor to another but would like to know a range in order to allocate a proper budget towards my upcoming project.
3- Can you please list the required tools to do your experiment in this project?

Thanks for your great contributions to this community.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
@dogwood An amazing project, thanks for sharing. I think I will start my journey soon.

1- Did this project at all improve the sloppiness of the crown when adjusting the time and date?
2- Can you shed some light on the total cost for these gen parts? I have noticed that you have asked several times but never gave a clear answer. I know it may differ from a vendor to another but would like to know a range in order to allocate a proper budget towards my upcoming project.
3- Can you please list the required tools to do your experiment in this project?

Thanks for your great contributions to this community.
Answers:

1) No. the parts I replaced have no effect on the setting of the date/time.

2) if I recall correctly, the balance complete was around $800, the pallet fork was about $100, and the the escape wheel was about $100 as well. If I were to do it again I wouldn’t bother replacing the crown intermediate wheel.

3) you’ll need (off the top of my head): spring bar tool to remove the bracelet; rubber ball to open the caseback; the 3235 triangular rotor screw driver; a standard set of watchmakers screw drivers (emphasis on 1.2mm and 1.4mm); and maybe a set of broaches to open the holes on the balance bridge.

Reactions: engbanna1

Jason171912

Horology Curious
30/5/23
San Jose
Answers:

1) No. the parts I replaced have no effect on the setting of the date/time.

2) if I recall correctly, the balance complete was around $800, the pallet fork was about $100, and the the escape wheel was about $100 as well. If I were to do it again I wouldn’t bother replacing the crown intermediate wheel.

3) you’ll need (off the top of my head): spring bar tool to remove the bracelet; rubber ball to open the caseback; the 3235 triangular rotor screw driver; a standard set of watchmakers screw drivers (emphasis on 1.2mm and 1.4mm); and maybe a set of broaches to open the holes on the balance bridge.
Hello friend,

Do you still have the VSF balance wheel for sale?

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Yes, I really need the balance wheel (see my picture). The hairspring in my watch was broken. Do you sell it?
I can't see the problem with your hairspring, but it does look like the balance wheel's bottom pivot is broken. DM me and I'll see about helping you out.

roromush

Horology Curious
17/1/24
Super informative post, pretty interesting to see just how well the movement was cloned

AG91

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/3/22
hi guys, I know it has nothing to do with it... but can you give me directions to better align the date in the window? it stays too low in the window... I have a vs3235 in a dj36. I would like to prepare myself before starting to disassemble it... thank you very much for your attention!

smf88011

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
13/2/24
Dang, I would love to find someone that would do this work for my Cookie Monster. I used to be able to work in such a finely detailed environment but lost the ability due to health problems. I would love to have a rep watch that messes with enthusiasts so much that they cannot tell the difference without a microscope. LOL