• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF Releases Daytona 126500 (Equipped with Dandong 4131 beta)

WobuffetRep

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
Certified
17/1/24
They're well made, technically, not visibly. One glance and anyone worth their salt will know it's fake. So you have to wonder, is the premium that comes with the adornment worth it?

Remember, I'm not talking about the reliability of these clone movements; they're very good movements, probably better than most genuine seiko or sellita movements (correct me if I'm wrong). But if I can get similar quality, but save 400 euro, because it's not adorned to look like a (poorly finished) gen movement, I will.
Sellita movements are workhorses, I don’t know about better.

duderino

Known Member
11/6/24
Of course they are? Of course they are not perfect and when you look at the balance you’ll see it’s fake. But the look and finish is not bad at all nowadays. For sure you’ll see it when you compare it with the gen.

But you’ll also recognize it when you compare Noob/BTF/Clean Daytonas with the real deal. So what’s the point?
Okay, I'll do my best to explain my point as eloquently as I can; remember though, it's just my point of view:

1. The exterior
Close to perfect. I have a gen pepsi, a Clean pepsi and a VSF Batman. From the outside, these are virtually undistinguishable. You have to hold them next to each other and have to know what to look at, to call them out, if even that.

2. The inside
Both DD3285 and VR3186 are beautifully made. But that doesn't change the fact that the moment you see those movements, you know they're not legit. You don't need to have a genuine movement for comparison, you don't need a microscope, not a magnifying glass, nothing. One glance and you'll see the finish isn't what it's supposed to be, you'll see the missing of the weights, etc.

So, considering that altering the movements to make them LOOK like their genuine counterparts has no impact on the quality of the movement and given that they can't replicate the same cloning effect as they do with the exterior of the watch, why bother? Wouldn't you prefer the watch to be a few hundred euros cheaper, with the same movement but undecorated?

That's my opinion, anyway.

Reactions: membrelli

domiffm

handsome
Patron
Certified
28/4/15
Germany
Of course you can see that your CF GMT is fake when you look close enough. Starting by the xtal and black hole effect..

Anyway, I think this is a bit of a strange discussion now.

Being afraid that the rep Daytona can be identified as rep because „the finish of the movement is not en par with the gen movement“ but then buying a rep Daytona with a skeletized movement that does not look like the gen at all is the better alternative?

Buying a Daytona Rep today with a non-clone movement is like buying a Submariner with an A2836 10 years ago. They are also totally reliable and cheap. But nobody wants them any more. Why?

Last edited:

duderino

Known Member
11/6/24
Yes, I agree.
So if given the choice between these 2:

1. Clone - excellent movement but different aesthetic in closed caseback: 450 euro
2. Clone - excellent movement, decorated to look like the real movement: 900 euro

You think most people would pick number 2? Remember, I'm not referring to rep-nerds like us.

Again, I might be wrong, but I think most people just want their GMT, Sub, or Daytona to LOOK the part. They couldn't care less about what's inside as long as it works and is reliable.

Reactions: TheDarkChild

duderino

Known Member
11/6/24
Buying a Daytona Rep today with a non-clone movement is like buying a Submariner with an A2836 10 years ago. They are also totally reliable and cheap. But nobody wants them any more. Why?
This is a very good point.

Don't the new movements have other advantages, other than the way they look?

Reaps

There is no such thing as a 1:1 Replica!
25/9/22
100% agree with everything you said!

I'm at fault here, because when I was referring to clone movement, I was incorrectly assuming that only meant how it's engraved (the looks and colors). Apologies, I'm still new to this replica-game.

In my mind, the SL4801/02 movement wasn't a clone, because because it didn't have the superficial aesthetic markings of the real thing. I treated it more like a "homage" movement; night identical to the 4130 technically speaking, just not visually.

I also 100% agree that the VSF and Dandong movements we've come to love are amazing. If these were assembled by actual watch smiths, rather than underpaid factory workers in unsterile environments, we'd have Swiss quality reliability, I recon.

Thanks for helping me understand!
Sorry yeah I'm not going at you or anything lmao I got a little drunk and wrote a whole ass dissertation,

Enjoy the SL-4801 VS and post pictures when you get it !

Reactions: m5smg2

duderino

Known Member
11/6/24
Sorry yeah I'm not going at you or anything lmao I got a little drunk and wrote a whole ass dissertation,

Enjoy the SL-4801 VS and post pictures when you get it !
All good! I love this room mostly because I’m the least knowledgeable in here. Therefore, lots to learn! 😃

TheDarkChild

Getting To Know The Place
Supporter
Certified
3/1/21
England
Question. Had my eye on a panda dial for some time now and much prefer the newer design with the bezel ring (nod to the Paul Newman I feel)

With the release of VSF 126500 with DD4131 molded to look like gen movment do I go for that as I’ve heard DD4131 is better then SH4131?

Or do I go Cleans 126500 with SH4131 or VSF 126500 with DD4131 ? Which is the better more reliable movement

My main concern is As long as the exterior looks as close as it should I’m not fussed if the movement inside is made to look like a gen movement I’d rather just have a watch that is reliable

Thoughts welcome thanks help a guy finally pull the trigger

Reactions: Jp100

lovegensandreps

Kodo Constant-Force Tourbillon rep when?
Supporter
Certified
22/9/22
EU
Question. Had my eye on a panda dial for some time now and much prefer the newer design with the bezel ring (nod to the Paul Newman I feel)

With the release of VSF 126500 with DD4131 molded to look like gen movment do I go for that as I’ve heard DD4131 is better then SH4131?

Or do I go Cleans 126500 with SH4131 or VSF 126500 with DD4131 ? Which is the better more reliable movement

My main concern is As long as the exterior looks as close as it should I’m not fussed if the movement inside is made to look like a gen movement I’d rather just have a watch that is reliable

Thoughts welcome thanks help a guy finally pull the trigger
The short answer is that nobody knows yet. Both are new movements. The DD4131 theoretically should be "better".

TheDarkChild

Getting To Know The Place
Supporter
Certified
3/1/21
England
The short answer is that nobody knows yet. Both are new movements. The DD4131 theoretically should be "better".
I guess I just hold out a little longer. I mean how easy is it to just replace the movment if it goes bang? Would that be Cheaper than having a watch smith that deals with reps look at it and repair it? plus you then have to find a reliable watch smith

m5smg2

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
23/8/07
SH: the new 4131 is much improved over its first attempt with the 4130. I’m guessing that’s why Clean wanted it exclusive this time. Many Clean have been sold since February with this new movement (I own two) and to my knowledge there have been no reports of reliability concerns.

DD: as its 4130 has a proven track record, there is no reason to doubt its new 4131 will be any less reliable..

Last edited:
Reactions: Uhr70 and ogh gee

man5on90

Even a Copy Gives You a Distinctive Feeling
Supporter
Certified
1/5/20
If your going for the VSF, be sure to fit a clean bezel on it. The VSF looks a little chunky in the font. (imo)

Reactions: Reaps

Jackster

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
Just arrived this morning!

IMG-3007.jpg