• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

V7 will release Ingenieur!

newest dude on the forum

Some Guy
Supporter
Patron
Certified
17/8/20
The EnGrave Yard
Massive shout out to a great dealer
hYVHzn.jpeg

Oeilvert

Certified
20/1/22
UK

You see lots of comments regarding the clasp on this v7 being poor quality, indeed some have admittedly failed but I had oppertunity to try on a genuine the other day and even that feels a bit flimsy... I would say the v7 is actually almost identical, turns out that butterfly clasps are just a bit sh!t.

Largest difference between v7 and gen I noticed was the bracelet link pins, on the gen they are almost flush with the bracelet edge and each one has a perfect circular polished finish... Picture above of a gen to show what I mean.

IWC sell a micro-adjust clasp to fit the Ingenieur (part# MXE0Q8TG) but it's $400. Apparently it's exactly the same as the one fitted to the big pilot braclet.

pippo

Respected Member
10/1/10
Largest difference between v7 and gen I noticed was the bracelet link pins, on the gen they are almost flush with the bracelet edge and each one has a perfect circular polished finish... Picture above of a gen to show what I mean.

Correct, same for all IWC rep bracelets.
Small differences but the devil's in the details.

Reactions: Oeilvert

Valaj

15/3/23
Illinois
You see lots of comments regarding the clasp on this v7 being poor quality, indeed some have admittedly failed but I had oppertunity to try on a genuine the other day and even that feels a bit flimsy... I would say the v7 is actually almost identical, turns out that butterfly clasps are just a bit sh!t.

Yes. I went through a few threads on other forums and some owners of gen Ingenieurs mentioned the clasp being flimsy and the weakest link of the watch. I hope V7F makes a rep micro adjust clasp and prices it around $100 or so. I'd happily buy that instead of spending 4X on a gen clasp.

Reactions: Oeilvert

newest dude on the forum

Some Guy
Supporter
Patron
Certified
17/8/20
The EnGrave Yard
Yes. I went through a few threads on other forums and some owners of gen Ingenieurs mentioned the clasp being flimsy and the weakest link of the watch. I hope V7F makes a rep micro adjust clasp and prices it around $100 or so. I'd happily buy that instead of spending 4X on a gen clasp.
Honestly, you could probably buy a rep that has the bracelet with that microadjust, then sell it with a replacement strap, less the value of the bracelet

Reactions: Valaj

Oeilvert

Certified
20/1/22
UK
They sell IWC bracelets with micro adjust clasps on Aliexpress but god knows what the quality is like...

pippo

Respected Member
10/1/10
@Oeilvert
The quality is probably the same but they are very expensive, much dearer than from TDs here.

But most and foremost , I don't think a clasp from a totally different bracelet would work.
Connection links are very different.

Oeilvert

Certified
20/1/22
UK
@Oeilvert
The quality is probably the same but they are very expensive, much dearer than from TDs here.

But most and foremost , I don't think a clasp from a totally different bracelet would work.

Good spot, seems obvious in hindsight.

I'm not too fussed in finding a replacement as the original bracelet fits me perfectly but would be nice to have the option if only for reliability sake.

Reactions: Valaj

StripYourEgo

Getting To Know The Place
19/6/24
@Oeilvert

Great catch, though i wonder if it would work regardless, but at $100 i dont want to find out

Valaj

15/3/23
Illinois
Interesting observations! I know I would've totally missed it.

I really hope someone makes custom leather straps for these watches. That would be fantastic.

Reactions: pippo

therepfather

Getting To Know The Place
18/10/23
Switzerland🇨🇭🧀
The surgery continues :)

Here are some additional observations:

1. Crown tube / corwn sealing - there is a single poor quality and very thin oring on the tube - there is no tight connection between the crown and tube when pushing the crown on the tube. Plus there are no gaskets in the crown. I think it must be leaking when put into the water. I will definitely use thicker greased oring on the tube and potentially also add one gasket to the crown bottom (need to check if it fits there)

2. Dial looks very nice - those marks on some indices are easy to clean with a piece of rodico, so all good :)

3. Hands have also some marks but same as for indices - should be possible to clean with the rodico

4. Crooked marker at 3 oclock - well this one is not easy - I will try to push it out from the back side (2 posts holding it) and align it. Not sure what glue / epoxy they use. Did the same this with some rlx / omega dials so let's hope it works here too

Once I get the high grade 2892 I will start putting it together. In the meantime need to work on the sharp edges on the mid case, bracelet, fix the 3 oclock marker and clean hands and markers.

Nice Work, thanks for the pictures.
How did you managed to get the 3hrs-marker out without getting the dial damaged?
I'm preparing to get mine also straight when my watch is in my hands.