• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Updated Royal Oak Tourbillon by R8 Factory are out

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
impossible to answer your question about the colour of the dial whether lighter than original or not. I doubt anyone has seen or will see the original in the flesh. the official photos are taken under lighting and so colour rendition may be different when see in natural light. there are some AP boutiques near me and surprise surprise they have no stock of anything except some models of Code :sick:. my wrist size is 21cm
Can you please compare the shade of your grey watch with the grey shade pic which I posted earlier?

krkqm2008

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
29/4/18
Dallas Texas
What legend said in view of my comment is totally correct...same goes for this grey color texture ...all colors reflect differently under different spectrums, i have a big salt water fish tank and the corals reflect all sort colors depending on what time of "day" it is in my tank...so all that said lets enjoy the watches for what they are.. a novelty item...

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Guys tend to start complaining about how this or that isn’t “1:1” or “gen like” but nobody ever remembers how the price isn’t such as well.
If I have to be very blunt about it, reps are not some magical discounted ticket for anyone to own and enjoy a genuine Swiss made luxury watch. That’s a different world entirely.
This world is one whereby you pay a few hundred of dollars to enjoy a Chinese made lookalike (which by the way gets better and better over the years) which ISN’T actually an AP or Rolex or whatever it happens to resemble. Having said that, I am hard pressed to tell apart the gens from the reps in real life for some models, they have gotten that good. We should appreciate how much this hobby has evolved. Guys buy and wear replica watches for different reasons but I am sure there are many moments when you look at the replicas and forget that they Chinese made. They have gotten really good, which has allowed us to pick on subtleties like the color tone or dial finish instead of the wrong case shape and size or a completely wrong date magnification. Just take time to compare the modern rep to the same one 10 years back (if it exists) and see how far the hobby has come. The gen has a price to it, just pay it and all the “but this is not accurate!” problems will magically go away. To pay what one pays for the replica watch and to keep complaining about it being crap etc is actually just plain cheap, like buying a coach class ticket and then complaining about the service and perks being different from the first class passenger.
Conversely, if you can pay $500 and get a 1:1 watch, then the watch which is being replicated is in fact worth $500 and available to the masses. Where is the worth in it without the relative exclusiveness and rarity?

I’ve put my money where my words are and spent millions to buy the gens because I could not live with the flaws in the reps and even frankens. I’ve paid the price to enjoy what I wanted in my watches and learnt that the only way to get a 1:1 watch is to pay a 1:1 price. Even if you put together a rare genstein, such a watch may not be recognized by the brand due to a serial/case/movement numbers mismatch. Yes no tells in the watch per se but it is still illegitimate where the brand stands.

So enjoy the hobby for what it is. Forget about the 1:1 and whatnots and let your confidence and attitude do the talking where the watch falls short. The watches being churned out by the makers are nothing short of respectable. Yes they are flawed a little here and there but remember the price and what it actually is, no matter what it looks like.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
For those who've received their watch, can you comment on the bracelet? Does it have sharp edges? For example, are any of the edges of the bracelet able to scrape up material if you slide it along the back of your fingernail? Can you also comment on the flexibility of the links? I found the bracelet of my R8F tourbillon (non-automatic) to be very stiff and had several links that were too close together so wouldn't flex the way other links would. Many thanks in advance.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
For those who've received their watch, can you comment on the bracelet? Does it have sharp edges? For example, are any of the edges of the bracelet able to scrape up material if you slide it along the back of your fingernail? Can you also comment on the flexibility of the links? I found the bracelet of my R8F tourbillon (non-automatic) to be very stiff and had several links that were too close together so wouldn't flex the way other links would. Many thanks in advance.
I haven’t encountered a gen bracelet which is stiff yet so far but at least half of those I encountered have relatively sharp edges.

vtxf

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/11/14

Tourbillion has the screws around the rotating wheel. Sorry don't know the technical name.
The bracelet does not have sharp edges -it is beautifully made and joy to wear.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Tourbillion has the screws around the rotating wheel. Sorry don't know the technical name.
The bracelet does not have sharp edges -it is beautifully made and joy to wear.
That is known as a screw balance wheel. It allows the watch to be regulated by adjusting the screws and also it allows for the oscillation beat to be adjusted too. It is usually found in higher end movements.

Gabriele75rn

16/8/20
I HOPE THAT THIS ROSE GOLD WITH GREEN DIAL IS NOT YOURS... WITH BEZEL ROTATED OF 90 DEGREES...

vtxf

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/11/14
I HOPE THAT THIS ROSE GOLD WITH GREEN DIAL IS NOT YOURS... WITH BEZEL ROTATED OF 90 DEGREES...
At the risk of displaying my vast ignorance I don't understand your comment. Please clarify. Thanks

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
Oh I see. Should be a simple fix.
Afaik you or your watchmaker should have a special tool or a strong and pointed forceps to be able to undo the inner screws within the case.