• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Vintage DateJust Thread

johnchpark

1/12/22
South Korea
Quick question;
Did your gen dial fit the Raffles case?

I realized gen dials are all 27.8mm and Raffle's OG POFY DESN 1142470 cases are 28.5mm

Nvm, got an answer from Raffles.

"The watch case fit 2824 that you have just got is from the same factory for the case fit 2836. But it has the drilled through holes on the lugs so that it must fit the 2824, not for 2836. The watch case for 2836 has the lugs without drilled through holes on the lugs. The case fit 2824 can accept the dial in the diameter of 27.5mm~29.0mm. The rehaut on the 2824 case will cover the edge of the 27.8mm dial in fact. Thanks and regards!!"

So I think "OG POFY DESN 114270" cases without lug holes = 2836, With lug holes = 2824.

Reactions: 369mafia

TheAmazingMrZ

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/3/21
North Carolina
Has anyone completed a build using a gen 4-digit dial with a Raffles case/parts?

@1016_idiot_savant mentioned a few posts back that the crystal needs to be different for a 4-digit DJ vs. 5-digit due to the position of the cyclops, but based on these drawings it might be the size and shape of the crystal instead of date window position?

I'm asking because I'd like to try a Raffles build with a 4-digit gen dial, but only if it doesn't require a machine shop to do so. I could live with "the wrong crystal" (25-135) on a Raffles 16xxx case if an NH35 + DWO or a VS3135 would work with the dial.
I’ve interchanged sapphire and acrylic. Also most of the Raffles dials are for the proper cyclops location, that is why they require a date wheel overlay (DWO). All the cases I’ve gotten from him had the proper location - though you’ll want to upgrade those anyway.

johnchpark

1/12/22
South Korea
Quick question;
Did your gen dial fit the Raffles case?

I realized gen dials are all 27.8mm and Raffle's OG POFY DESN 1142470 cases are 28.5mm

Gen 27.8mm 5-digit datejust dial fits raffles 2824 case. But it’s not a great fit.
Outer edge of case is too wide so there is quite a bit of wiggle room. But the inner edge of the rehaut is too tight, so it cuts off the lume dots.

Will have to decide if the rehaut needs sanding down or not once my 3135 mvmnt arrives

Reactions: 1016_idiot_savant

johnchpark

1/12/22
South Korea
Reshaped my Raffles case today.

Using a “OG POFY DESN 114270” drilled lug holes case for 2824. The lugs were already pretty good, but i got ambition and wanted to thin them a hair more.

First off, everyone needs to get one of these table belt sanders. They are small, and like $50 on Aliexpress, but i could get the whole case work done in matter of few hours, not few days (back when i was reshaping with a hand file).

I shaved off the “OG POFY DESN” engravings from the lugs first.

I got too ambitious and thinned the lugs more than i should have. However, im satisfied with the side profile.

Polishing:

Finally, i heard some issues of 3135 rotor touching the caseback? So i sanded down the inside of caseback with one of these Aliexpress round flat sanders. I dont know how much i shaved off, but definitely got under the “Switzerladn” engravings. There is a tiny amount of flex on the metal when i push with my fingers, but not enough to break through (hopefully). I’m hoping it will be enough metal removal to prevent rotor-case back issues.

1016_idiot_savant

Supporter
Certified
3/2/23
Denmark

Using a “OG POFY DESN 114270” drilled lug holes case for 2824. The lugs were already pretty good, but i got ambition and wanted to thin them a hair more.

First off, everyone needs to get one of these table belt sanders. They are small, and like $50 on Aliexpress, but i could get the whole case work done in matter of few hours, not few days (back when i was reshaping with a hand file).

I got too ambitious and thinned the lugs more than i should have. However, im satisfied with the side profile.

Polishing:

Finally, i heard some issues of 3135 rotor touching the caseback? So i sanded down the inside of caseback with one of these Aliexpress round flat sanders. I dont know how much i shaved off, but definitely got under the “Switzerladn” engravings. There is a tiny amount of flex on the metal when i push with my fingers, but not enough to break through (hopefully). I’m hoping it will be enough metal removal to prevent rotor-case back issues.

Great tutorial - thanks for sharing!

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada

Polishing:

Nice work.

Having the right tools does expedite things quite a bit yes.....

do you have links for that vice and circular sanding pad ?

johnchpark

1/12/22
South Korea
Nice work.

Having the right tools does expedite things quite a bit yes.....

do you have links for that vice and circular sanding pad ?

The sander is something like this:

The table belt sander:

The vice i’m using is a laboratory gas canister mount i took from my lab 😅
Not the best, but works more or less

Today, i sanded the cases slightly more. Got the lug edge angles better, and slightly reshaped the side profile more. Unfortunately, the lug-to-lug is now 43mm rather than gen-spec 44mm. But I’m happy with the overall shape now.

mmax

Known Member
Certified
16/7/22
Germany
KWsazn.jpeg

Inspired by this thread, I have a gen 6605 Datejust case and like to implant a 3135. The dimensions should be not so different compared to the old caliber 1065. I do not have a dial yet to simply test if it could work. Maybe someone has already tried this? Thanks!

johnchpark

1/12/22
South Korea
I've finished the first build inspired by this thread. Opened the rehaut a bit to allow the T Swiss T Dial to fit

I'm debating whether to touch the rehaut or not.
My worry is, gen dial is already smaller than 28mm (which is what Raffles case says it's for).
Won't widening the rehaut potentially make the dial fall through?

nickelodeon

DIY and vintage enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
5/4/22
I'm debating whether to touch the rehaut or not.
My worry is, gen dial is already smaller than 28mm (which is what Raffles case says it's for).
Won't widening the rehaut potentially make the dial fall through?
It highly depends on the print of the dial. The raffles case came with a opening of 27,38mm, which is fine if the dial is not printed closely to the edge. The Gen Dials I've used have an diameter of 27,78mm and for this specific one I've opened the rehaut to 27,62 (iirc). Sure, if you grid too much, you have a problem. If you are using an 3135 (clone), the diameter should be 28,50mm, which gives you some backup, but if the rehaut is wider than the dial, I would look a bit weird. tl;dr: I would not do it, if the dial is looking good with the stock width of the case.

Last edited:

johnchpark

1/12/22
South Korea
It highly depends on the print of the dial. The raffles case came with a opening of 27,38mm, which is fine if the dial is not printed closely to the edge. The Gen Dials I've used have an diameter of 27,78mm and for this specific one I've opened the rehaut to 27,62 (iirc). Sure, if you grid too much, you have a problem. If you are using an 3135 (clone), the diameter should be 28,50mm, which gives you some backup, but if the rehaut is wider than the dial, I would look a bit weird. tl;dr: I would not do it, if the dial is looking good with the stock width of the case.
My dial fits, but the lume edges barely touch the rehaut.

Do you have any good tips on how to widen the rehaut evenly?

nickelodeon

Supporter
Certified
5/4/22
My dial fits, but the lume edges barely touch the rehaut.

Do you have any good tips on how to widen the rehaut evenly?
I used sandpaper wrapped around a conically shaped polishing attachment for the drilling machine

Reactions: johnchpark

kiev4a

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/9/14
I have a couple of genuine datejust dial with some index missing and also without rolex crown. Someone can suggest me where find something without buying a new dial again? I've searched for ali simple dial but there haven't similar hour index.
Thanks!

johnchpark

1/12/22
South Korea
On the Raffles cases, do gen bezels fit with Raffles crystal gaskets?

My gen gold bezel is 30.45mm ID.
My Deep crystal on Raffles case with Raffles gasket measures 30.54mm.

Not sure if I will need to sand down the gasket to match the bezel ID or not.

nickelodeon

Supporter
Certified
5/4/22

I made the experience that only gen bezels for the plexi crystals are fitting ootb, those I found had 30,49-30,51mm in diameter and it worked great

1016_idiot_savant

Supporter
Certified
3/2/23
Denmark

Gen bezel fits perfectly on Raffles acrylic Explorer case.