• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Vintage DateJust Thread

Replicated

Supporter
Certified
19/2/15
NL 🇳🇱
It sometimes depends on the dial.
Some dials, don't really need a trim on the rehaut, like this one:

s-l1200.jpg

Because there is a little bit more play/meat on the dial.

Reactions: Rolexmike69

Rolexmike69

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
13/4/22
Louisville KY

s-l1200.jpg

Corrrct! I’m assuming most guys use the older dials with lume dots so I agree.
I also like mine period correct so if the dial was for a holes case, then that’s the dial I use.

Reactions: Replicated

Rolexmike69

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
13/4/22
Louisville KY
Corrrct! I’m assuming most guys use the older dials with lume dots so I agree.
I also like mine period correct so if the dial was for a holes case, then that’s the dial I use.

s-l1200.jpg

Beautiful build btw.

Pyter2

Watch Enthusiast
18/1/20
After seeing so many amazing projects, I decided to start my own vintage Datejust build. Unfortunately, the result isn't as expected. The datewheel isn't centered, and it doesn’t seem to fit correctly—there’s a small gap between the datewheel and the dial. I've looked up some tutorials, but the images in the ones I found are expired, making it hard to follow. Does anyone have any advice on how to properly center the datewheel on an ETA 2824-2 movement or tips for ensuring a better fit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

1016_idiot_savant

Supporter
Certified
3/2/23
Denmark
After seeing so many amazing projects, I decided to start my own vintage Datejust build. Unfortunately, the result isn't as expected. The datewheel isn't centered, and it doesn’t seem to fit correctly—there’s a small gap between the datewheel and the dial. I've looked up some tutorials, but the images in the ones I found are expired, making it hard to follow. Does anyone have any advice on how to properly center the datewheel on an ETA 2824-2 movement or tips for ensuring a better fit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It looks to me like your dial is slightly off center (the lume pip at 3 doesn’t line up with the center of the winding crown). Realigning the dial should resolve the date issue IMO.

Reactions: Pyter2

Rolexmike69

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
13/4/22
Louisville KY
Sent you pm

Reactions: Pyter2

Daniel_AUT

Getting To Know The Place
7/1/24
yes sure, i can try since i built it 10 years ago ::)
gen case, gen bezel, gen crystal, gen dial, gen hands (not 100% sure cant remember), gen crown and tube, gen endlinks, gen bracelet
eta movement + holder, rep datewheel
Beautiful watch ! is it possible to install an ETA movement on GEN parts as well as the dial and hands?

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Ordered some mid-tier suede straps on AliX.
Not really the result I was aiming for. Still, nice to switch things up a bit.

I've bought quite a few "lots" of watch straps, just to have some variety. A nice strap can give a totally different look to a watch. Those suede straps are kinda cool...don't see those much on a DJ.

• Love
Reactions: Replicated

PositiveAttitude

Getting To Know The Place
22/9/22
Hey guys,
I have an Italian bracelet mounted on a raffle case and the endlinks are bothering me, they move a bit and jingles way too much but I've used some random springbars I had home so maybe the problem is that. Do you have any suggestions/link on where should I get some quality springbars for a Datejust?

Rolexmike69

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
13/4/22
Louisville KY
Hey guys,
I have an Italian bracelet mounted on a raffle case and the endlinks are bothering me, they move a bit and jingles way too much but I've used some random springbars I had home so maybe the problem is that. Do you have any suggestions/link on where should I get some quality springbars for a Datejust?
Clark’s has vintage DJ spring bars on EBay.

Reactions: PositiveAttitude