• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Vintage DateJust Thread

intellects

Getting To Know The Place
31/10/22
I received a 1016 case a few days ago for a Datejust build and it has the correct engravings as well. Can't comment on clearance for the rotor yet.

Replicated

Supporter
Certified
19/2/15
NL 🇳🇱
Still waiting on my bezel:

54063467101_1e870fc027_h.jpg

54063467096_bbec1fca35_h.jpg

54062592767_43920eef05_h.jpg

intellects

31/10/22
I am yet to start my build but I was wondering how the movement tabs work exactly. Does anyone have any experience or guide for fitting them? I understand there's a cutout in the Raffles case and that allows you to slide a tab in before tightening it, but is that all there's to it? Do you fit only one tab/screw or two on either side? Thanks in advance if anyone can shed more (visual) light on this.

Rolexmike69

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
13/4/22
Louisville KY
I am yet to start my build but I was wondering how the movement tabs work exactly. Does anyone have any experience or guide for fitting them? I understand there's a cutout in the Raffles case and that allows you to slide a tab in before tightening it, but is that all there's to it? Do you fit only one tab/screw or two on either side? Thanks in advance if anyone can shed more (visual) light on this.
This is just my experience:
I always use 2 tabs:
2 screws.
I had to modify screws because the caseback seemed to hit the screw heads and push down on movement. So I put a screw in a pin vise and tightened down. I screwed it a bit and using a small file, removed some metal to make diameter smaller to allow cadeback clearance.
I also had to file down ends of tabs that go into case to get the correct size and keep the dial centered.

I can send or post pics if you need to see this as I’m about to assemble a datejust this weekend.

Again, others may modify differently and Have easier technique. This is just my experience.

intellects

31/10/22
This is just my experience:
I always use 2 tabs:
2 screws.
I had to modify screws because the caseback seemed to hit the screw heads and push down on movement. So I put a screw in a pin vise and tightened down. I screwed it a bit and using a small file, removed some metal to make diameter smaller to allow cadeback clearance.
I also had to file down ends of tabs that go into case to get the correct size and keep the dial centered.

I can send or post pics if you need to see this as I’m about to assemble a datejust this weekend.

Again, others may modify differently and Have easier technique. This is just my experience.
Thanks for the quick reply. So are you able to first put the movement into the case and then slide the tabs into position or do they need to be screwed in beforehand and then turned out to the side?

Reactions: Rolexmike69

Rolexmike69

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
13/4/22
Louisville KY
Thanks for the quick reply. So are you able to first put the movement into the case and then slide the tabs into position or do they need to be screwed in beforehand and then turned out to the side?
I put the movement in first
Then if I’m using a 3135 clone
I put the gasket/movement spacer in….
Dropping a tab on one side
I put the other tab in on the other side
Put in one screw and then the other screw
Center stem and tighten screws.
Just don’t tighten it
Before I tighten the screws and make sure that the stem is centered so that my crown will easily screw on the case straight.

I do slide the rotor over the balance spring just so that screw doesn’t fall into the balance spring when dropping onto tab.

intellects

31/10/22
I put the movement in first
Then if I’m using a 3135 clone
I put the gasket/movement spacer in….
Dropping a tab on one side
I put the other tab in on the other side
Put in one screw and then the other screw
Center stem and tighten screws.
Just don’t tighten it
Before I tighten the screws and make sure that the stem is centered so that my crown will easily screw on the case straight.

I do slide the rotor over the balance spring just so that screw doesn’t fall into the balance spring when dropping onto tab.
Thanks so much!

Reactions: Rolexmike69

icqmtl77

Known Member
19/7/09
I had this 16014 built by a member here:
Raffles DATEJUST case w cyclops
Raffles Onyx dial with gilt details
Raffles DJ Gilt Hands
Asian ETA 2824 - Edit: watch was sent back to put in a VS3135
raffles dwo
raffles jubilee bracelet with 555 end links

Care to share builder contacts? Thanks

qjai89

28/1/24

Decided to switch things up a bit. Bottom row was previous, top row is current. Swapped the grey dial to the fluted bezel and the silver dial to the smooth bezel. Seems to fit better for the 2 builds but what does everyone else think?

Also upgraded the raffles jubilee to a jubilee with solid middle links. Kept the endlinks and clasp from raffles for an overall more premium feel.

JPFresh

Do not accept unsolicited offers
13/10/24
Hey all, I'm putting parts together for a DJ 16014 build. I had a few questions on compatibility that I wasn't able to find in this or other threads:

Case: Raffles 2824 case - are the Korean equivalent still sold on eBay or not anymore?
Crystal: Saphire from Raffle case
Movement: vs3135 - Raffles case comes with plastic gasket, tabs and screws to fit the 3135
Bracelet: Italian - any issue fitting the 20mm lugs?
Dial: Gen from the 80's (?) measuring at 28mm - works with Raffles case?
Handset: Gen - any issues with movement or raffles case?
Crown: Gen - would a gen "604" crown fit Raffles tube without modification?
Bezel: Gen - will this work with Raffles case?

JPFresh

13/10/24
Hey all, I'm putting parts together for a DJ 16014 build. I had a few questions on compatibility that I wasn't able to find in this or other threads:

Case: Raffles 2824 case - are the Korean equivalent still sold on eBay or not anymore?
Crystal: Saphire from Raffle case
Movement: vs3135 - Raffles case comes with plastic gasket, tabs and screws to fit the 3135
Bracelet: Italian - any issue fitting the 20mm lugs?
Dial: Gen from the 80's (?) measuring at 28mm - works with Raffles case?
Handset: Gen - any issues with movement or raffles case?
Crown: Gen - would a gen "604" crown fit Raffles tube without modification?
Bezel: Gen - will this work with Raffles case?
For the Bezel I meant to write "Gen Engine Turned Bezel".

Rolexmike69

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
13/4/22
Louisville KY
For the Bezel I meant to write "Gen Engine Turned Bezel".
Idk about Korean case
Gen dial works but need to mod case /rehaut
There’s an explanation in this post.
Yes on bracelet it will work
No issues on hands
Yes 604 worked for me
Yes ETB WORKS on case.
You do need to modify caseback based on which case back you have by sanding it. Again, there’s an explanation in Vintage DJ Post.

JPFresh

13/10/24
Idk about Korean case
Gen dial works but need to mod case /rehaut
There’s an explanation in this post.
Yes on bracelet it will work
No issues on hands
Yes 604 worked for me
Yes ETB WORKS on case.
You do need to modify caseback based on which case back you have by sanding it. Again, there’s an explanation in Vintage DJ Post.
Thank you for the response, @Rolexmike69!

I've gone through this thread and read those explanations, but I assumed they referred to an earlier version of Raffle's case. So, even with Ken's adjustments to the case (with the crystal/cyclop assembled at the 3135 position and including the gasket/tabs for the movement), the rehaut and case back would still need modifications to fit the dial and movement?

Rolexmike69

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
13/4/22
Louisville KY

I've gone through this thread and read those explanations, but I assumed they referred to an earlier version of Raffle's case. So, even with Ken's adjustments to the case (with the crystal/cyclop assembled at the 3135 position and including the gasket/tabs for the movement), the rehaut and case back would still need modifications to fit the dial and movement?

I’m assuming you don’t have the case. Once you get the case put the dial in and see. I just got a case 2 weeks ago and had to widen rehaut to get dial to seat properly and not to knock lume plots off the dial. In addition to that, the very bottom of the dial is covered by the rehaut.

JPFresh

13/10/24
You're right, I don't have it yet. Thanks for the heads up. So is there a chance that it could fit without modification?