• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Vintage DateJust Thread

esquivo

Getting To Know The Place
Supporter
Certified
2/8/16
So... I've been involved with the rep world since 2015, buying from TDs a couple of pieces a year and fully convinced that building and modding were activities reserved for people who actually understand what they're doing. You know, the real heroes of this forum. Then, out of sheer curiosity (and perhaps a moment of self-delusion), I stumbled into this thread while looking for something else entirely... and that’s when the wheels came off.

After witnessing your insane builds, craftsmanship, and contagious enthusiasm, I had a sudden and probably ill-advised burst of confidence. “I can totally do this,” I thought. I was very wrong.

So, I made a brave/stupid decision to build a 16030, reading as much as I could and aiming high with a gen dial and bezel, raffles case, Clark’s plexi and hands, an open 6&9 datewheel, and a VS3135 movement. What could possibly go wrong when there are dozens of beautiful builds in this thread alone? Answer: everything.

Fast forward to last night, when I attempted the final assembly. It was all going so smoothly... until, well, it wasn’t.

- First disaster: I was introduced to the joy of resetting the keyless works. Fixed it (yay me!), but it’s like the universe said, “Not so fast, my friend,” because the moment I removed and re-inserted the stem... back to square one. We’re now in an endless loop of keyless resets. Help?

- Then, the datewheel started slipping. Can’t use position 2 to set it. The disc that’s supposed to advance the date doesn’t move, and I have no idea how to get it back to work.

Now, I’m faced with a critical decision: Should I just admit defeat and buy a new movement, keeping this one as a “spare/practice/misery-inducing” piece? Or should I wave the white flag and send the movement to a pro modder, while I sit back and eat humble pie?

Oh, and since we’re here, I have a couple of extra random questions that are keeping me up at night:

- If I replace the raffles 16200 crown and tube with an Athaya 24-600, are they fully interchangeable? Or will I need to rethread/countersink the hole? (At this point, I’m terrified of anything involving holes.)

- Do I need to sand down the caseback to make sure it doesn’t touch the 3135 rotor? I read somewhere that someone said it didn’t... but I most of you do that. Dumbest question of them all: how can I tell if it’s even touching mine? Is there a rotor-rubbing checklist?

I’m not ready to quit yet, but I’m also definitely not ready to mod a second watch anytime soon.

Thanks in advance for any guidance (and sympathy)!

P.S. Apologies for the lack of technical vocabulary and my possibly butchered English. It’s probably the least of my problems right now...

Reactions: intellects

Replicated

Supporter
Certified
19/2/15
NL 🇳🇱
So... I've been involved with the rep world since 2015, buying from TDs a couple of pieces a year and fully convinced that building and modding were activities reserved for people who actually understand what they're doing. You know, the real heroes of this forum. Then, out of sheer curiosity (and perhaps a moment of self-delusion), I stumbled into this thread while looking for something else entirely... and that’s when the wheels came off.

After witnessing your insane builds, craftsmanship, and contagious enthusiasm, I had a sudden and probably ill-advised burst of confidence. “I can totally do this,” I thought. I was very wrong.

So, I made a brave/stupid decision to build a 16030, reading as much as I could and aiming high with a gen dial and bezel, raffles case, Clark’s plexi and hands, an open 6&9 datewheel, and a VS3135 movement. What could possibly go wrong when there are dozens of beautiful builds in this thread alone? Answer: everything.

Fast forward to last night, when I attempted the final assembly. It was all going so smoothly... until, well, it wasn’t.

- First disaster: I was introduced to the joy of resetting the keyless works. Fixed it (yay me!), but it’s like the universe said, “Not so fast, my friend,” because the moment I removed and re-inserted the stem... back to square one. We’re now in an endless loop of keyless resets. Help?

- Then, the datewheel started slipping. Can’t use position 2 to set it. The disc that’s supposed to advance the date doesn’t move, and I have no idea how to get it back to work.

Now, I’m faced with a critical decision: Should I just admit defeat and buy a new movement, keeping this one as a “spare/practice/misery-inducing” piece? Or should I wave the white flag and send the movement to a pro modder, while I sit back and eat humble pie?

Oh, and since we’re here, I have a couple of extra random questions that are keeping me up at night:

- If I replace the raffles 16200 crown and tube with an Athaya 24-600, are they fully interchangeable? Or will I need to rethread/countersink the hole? (At this point, I’m terrified of anything involving holes.)

- Do I need to sand down the caseback to make sure it doesn’t touch the 3135 rotor? I read somewhere that someone said it didn’t... but I most of you do that. Dumbest question of them all: how can I tell if it’s even touching mine? Is there a rotor-rubbing checklist?

I’m not ready to quit yet, but I’m also definitely not ready to mod a second watch anytime soon.

Thanks in advance for any guidance (and sympathy)!

P.S. Apologies for the lack of technical vocabulary and my possibly butchered English. It’s probably the least of my problems right now...
When removing the stem and crown, always put the 3135 in the time setting position. I had the same situation as you had, every. Single. Time.

When I learned you need to have it in the time setting position: never!

Reactions: esquivo

esquivo

Supporter
Certified
2/8/16
When removing the stem and crown, always put the 3135 in the time setting position. I had the same situation as you had, every. Single. Time.

When I learned you need to have it in the time setting position: never!
Thank you so much!! I will definitely do that from now on!

Still need to figure out the datewheel slipping issue. 😏

Reactions: Rolexmike69

reinier12

7/4/11
Anyone that knows if there ever was a Airking 36mm with engine turned bezel? This case at raffles confuses me since I cannot find any 36mm Airking myself:

Also he has a datejust case with engine turned bezel,
But the Datejust is suppose to have a different style for engine turned bezel, looks more like fluted with engine turning inbetween:

My 2 questions anyone know a good 34mm airking case with engine turned bezel?
And anyone happens to know a 36mm datejust case with correct engine turned bezel style?

reinier12

7/4/11
Gen is always best IMO. I I just purchased a Gen Vintage DJ case for a potential Franken build.
The honda datejust is rep everything. Case, dial etc. So the case is not Gen haha. Just curious if it might be shaped better as the raffles one I like the slimmer lugs but don't have a sharp enough eye to judge is well.

reinier12

7/4/11
To be clear top photo is the rep, on the pillow.
On the wrist photo is a real one I just place both to compare the case sizes.
Looks quite good to me.

Rolexmike69

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
13/4/22
Louisville KY
Another front view of this rep case.
I think it looks pretty good! I’ve trimmed down lugs before and then polished with a machine. Came out pretty good. IMO, you really have to know what you’re looking at for someone to question if it’s gen case or not. I guess it’s up to each individual on what they like and what they’re capable of modding.

reinier12

7/4/11
Thanks for the advice regarding the case @Rolexmike69 I will give this one a try for my built.
Now my next question is do 3035 hands work with the VS3135? I think about ordering bellow movement and hands.
And is the VS3135 the same for Datejust, GMT and Submariner. Since this seller mentions GMT and Submariner in the title but didnt mention datejust :)

Rolexmike69

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
13/4/22
Louisville KY
Thanks for the advice regarding the case @Rolexmike69 I will give this one a try for my built.
Now my next question is do 3035 hands work with the VS3135? I think about ordering bellow movement and hands.
And is the VS3135 the same for Datejust, GMT and Submariner. Since this seller mentions GMT and Submariner in the title but didnt mention datejust :)

Not 100% on the hands.

EnryDJ36

In search of perfection
5/11/23
Italy
Hey guys, has anyone ever looked into whats the most accurate Rafflesdials dial? I have a few builds now and considering another one but curious to which dials are the most accurate to gen.

I have the 16200 silver dial for example. I noticed overall dial looks great but the Rolex font position is a bit off. The 1016 Explorer dials are pretty good too but the thickness of the font is a tad off as well. heres a pic of gen and raffles for the 16200 for comparison. Wondering if anyone else looked into this as well. Thanks in advance!

Yes it happened to me too, I bought a black dial from Raffles it is well made but it has the same problem with the writings. I wanted to look for an original one to overcome this small detail but the prices of the black sunburst style dials are very expensive and unobtainable at least on Ebay

mav_26

New to the rep game
7/10/24
Dallas
I’m about to build a 16030 with a combination of Raffles, Athaya, and Sternkruez goodness surmounted with a gen dial and a gen bezel (movement and hand specs pending finalisation in the next few days), but I do want to get a Swiss movement in a future build without chopping dial feet. I’m going to go VS3135 this time.

So ever since I saw a picture in a sales thread explaining how WM9 used to use a 2678 movement in a movement holder to give the possibility of using a gen dial with mount clipping feet, and allowing us to get a Swiss movement running an unmutilated dial, the concept has been gently percolating and cross pollinating with the other vintage Datejust concepts I’ve had in my head.

I feel like 3D printing may be an option here. If we can spec this into a Raffles case, would anyone else be interested?

Specs on the build?

qjai89

28/1/24
Did Raffles update their case(back)?

Fixed the “SWITZERLADN” spelling, cutting of the inner back is different. 3135 is now spinning almost freely. It is BARELY hitting the caseback.

I just received a 2836 case like 3 days ago but mind still says switzerladn