• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Ultimate Daytona Buying Guide (Ref. 116520/116500)

Yasrolex

Known Member
18/7/23
London Uk
So looks like I’ve managed to find someone who can get a black dial with Arab numerals for me.

Just waiting on a price from him then I’ll get one.

Karabas

Known Member
1/10/23
Playing the rep game, reliability is always a big concern, I get you. But one of the things you have to accept for fake watches is "not everything will go perfectly all the time.".

The SH4130 is one of the most reliable clone movements out there and is touted as the pinnacle of clone movements for replicas. It is very reliable and not much complaints about it. A full service by a watch maker will guarantee the watch will run for 3-5 years no issues. Replacing some of it with gen parts can make it run more stable as well, such as a mainspring. But my advice for this kind of stuff is don't service until the watch shows some issue.

But I cannot promise perfection. When you buy a rep, you accept some kind of risk that maybe your watch will arrived damage, or the movement you can get is a dud, it happens with all fake watches. I have over 25+ watches, about 6 of them are Daytonas, all with the SH4130. 5 of them work perfectly, 1 of them came with a stuttering chronograph that I had to get serviced to fix.

Another advice is to not run the chrono regularly, unless you service it. Even then I would run it sparingly.
And which of them are closer to gen by exterior: Subs or Daytonas?

felixfelix8005

On the hunt
Supporter
Certified
6/4/22
EU
I have read this "hole in the coronet" thing several times now without getting what is meint. Could somebody please explain (maybe with pics?)? Thanks!
can anybody get a clean 116500 v3 black dial with correct coronet? Jtime said they only sell them with the big oval hole

Itto

Completely irresponsible behaviour
Patron
Certified
26/9/17
The 9th gate
I have read this "hole in the coronet" thing several times now without getting what is meint. Could somebody please explain (maybe with pics?)? Thanks!

The Hole in the Crown looks like it is screaming at you
(left Gen / right Clean)

Karabas

Known Member
1/10/23
The Hole in the Crown looks like it is screaming at you
(left Gen / right Clean)

Can be fixed by moving the arrow from the central position. And fixing it.
But I see the foggy crystal on the Clean. Is it also visible defect or is it just a photo ?

• Haha
Reactions: 2841

Karabas

Known Member
1/10/23
Fyi, this hole in the crown is not "wrong". Pre 2019 Daytonas had this bigger crown. Post 2019 Daytonas do not. Just a matter of preference visually.
Lets be serious about it. Who will look at your watches with looop glass to find out the size of your hole.

I think, foggy glass on Clean is something much more visible.

Itto

Completely irresponsible behaviour
Patron
Certified
26/9/17
The 9th gate
Lets be serious about it. Who will look at your watches with looop glass to find out the size of your hole.

Yes, the clean Crystals are really not good. No matter what model, i think they are inferior to the other factories.

If the new ZF consists of mainly clean parts plus a better Crystal, that's a huge step up for me personally. About the SH movement, well, we have to wait and see i guess.

Karabas

Known Member
1/10/23
Yes, the clean Crystals are really not good. No matter what model, i think they are inferior to the other factories.

If the new ZF consists of mainly clean parts plus a better Crystal, that's a huge step up for me personally. About the SH movement, well, we have to wait and see i guess.
But maybe in reality this glass is not visible.
As many says here. Its much better to get few reps and see in real life

Yasrolex

Known Member
18/7/23
London Uk

I got my cf crystal swapped out to a deep one and it looks non existent in some lighting conditions. My original qc pics had the original crystal and even to me it looked foggy-ish. Asked my TD to swap to deep the sent qc pics and looked much much better.

mectron

Horology Curious
29/9/23
What is the best way to get a glidelock clasp or bracelet on a 116500? I really have no idea how to find out which part numbers will fit and which sources are high quality.

Karabas

Known Member
1/10/23
I got my cf crystal swapped out to a deep one and it looks non existent in some lighting conditions. My original qc pics had the original crystal and even to me it looked foggy-ish. Asked my TD to swap to deep the sent qc pics and looked much much better.
So you can even ask TD to change crystal for you before sending?

Do you recommend to change only for Daytona or for Sub as well?

Ferrichie

Horology Curious
12/5/22
Hi everyone

I want to ask if this is a real BTF?
As I compared to my gen white dial datejust, the white of BTF still looks a little greyish compared to the white gen datejust. If yes this is the closest to gen. I cant imagin how greyish or blueish CF panda is.

Or maybe, is it incomparable between different model of gen rolex? Although it’s the same white, datejust and daytona have different white hue (?) can someone explain me

Thank you