• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Ultimate Daytona Buying Guide (Ref. 116520/116500)

Jack_08067

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/8/17
Ive had a GMF day date before, this reminds me of picking that up, just not what I expected. Theres a very noticeable squeaky sound from the bracelet. I have gen Rolexes which is perhaps why it’s so noticeable for me.

Why would gently shaking a watch damage it? It’s a sports watch after all, no different to playing golf whilst wearing it.. I’m convinced that you shouldn’t be able to hear the 4130 rotor wheel spinning like it has sand in the gears.

I will reach out to the TD that I purchased it from

bpbp

Renowned Member
14/12/13
USA
So far what I see... Even on the v3 the CF crown mark at 12oclock is more like flat not 3d shape as gen? But the BT is have 3d shape?

frankdux1987

Certified
27/8/18
Ive had a GMF day date before, this reminds me of picking that up, just not what I expected. Theres a very noticeable squeaky sound from the bracelet. I have gen Rolexes which is perhaps why it’s so noticeable for me.

Why would gently shaking a watch damage it? It’s a sports watch after all, no different to playing golf whilst wearing it.. I’m convinced that you shouldn’t be able to hear the 4130 rotor wheel spinning like it has sand in the gears.

I will reach out to the TD that I purchased it from
My clean 116520 had a very cheap squeeky bracelet, i put it in a bowl of baby oil and it done the trick. My rotor was also loud but ado lubed it for me and now its silent. I was also dissappointed with it when i received it but after bathing it in oil it will feel much better

Jack_08067

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/8/17
My clean 116520 had a very cheap squeeky bracelet, i put it in a bowl of baby oil and it done the trick. My rotor was also loud but ado lubed it for me and now it’s silent. I was also dissappointed with it when i received it but after bathing it in oil it will feel much better
Yeah I think I perhaps got I little over emotional, I bathed the strap in oil and seems to have done the trick. Still quite abit more play than my gen straps I notice. Is the CF supposed to have the most accurate strap?

Can you give any advise on how you silenced the rotor please? Have never messed about with a movement before. Asides from that, it’s a lovely watch. Dial looks incredible with the deep crystal

frankdux1987

Certified
27/8/18
Yeah I think I perhaps got I little over emotional, I bathed the strap in oil and seems to have done the trick. Still quite abit more play than my gen straps I notice. Is the CF supposed to have the most accurate strap?

Can you give any advise on how you silenced the rotor please? Have never messed about with a movement before. Asides from that, it’s a lovely watch. Dial looks incredible with the deep crystal
I sent it to my watchmaker Ado here in uk mate

ROFLPETER

Looking Around
9/10/23
What about big wirsts .... my wrist extent is 21,5 cm .... is it a Problem ?

Maybe i should add 1 more link each side?

FrankAU

Horology Curious
17/10/23
Hi folks,
I want to pull the trigger for a Panda Daytona and I need your help. I am reading a lot and I understand each factory has its own pros and cons for specific watch models. BTF and Clean seem to be the best for case build quality and finishing. On the contrary Noob has the best Dial, especially v4 according to what I am reading in many other threads of this forum.

Furthermore I know it is possible to request to any TD to purchase a CF or BTF Daytona with a Noob dial, is it right ?

I want to buy a replica with the most accurate details and with a realible movement that can be easily serviced , so I guess SA4130 is the right choice which should be the same of DD4130 or Noob4130.

Thanks in advance

Reaps

-
25/9/22
Hi folks,
I want to pull the trigger for a Panda Daytona and I need your help. I am reading a lot and I understand each factory has its own pros and cons for specific watch models. BTF and Clean seem to be the best for case build quality and finishing. On the contrary Noob has the best Dial, especially v4 according to what I am reading in many other threads of this forum.

Furthermore I know it is possible to request to any TD to purchase a CF or BTF Daytona with a Noob dial, is it right ?

I want to buy a replica with the most accurate details and with a realible movement that can be easily serviced , so I guess SA4130 is the right choice which should be the same of DD4130 or Noob4130.

Thanks in advance
1. Rep is rep, gen is gen. You want gen level accuracy and details, especially for a dial, you go gen. Lower your expectations. A $800 rep is not going to be exactly the same as a $15k Daytona.

Buy a CF or BTF, get it in hand before you even decide your next steps. So many new members want this or want that but haven't handled a rep yet. How would you know the quality or what it looks like? If you get it in hand and you REALLY wanr to change the dial, sure. But don't waste your money before hand.

Noob v4 dial? Good luck getting a hold of a Noob v4, let alone a dial.

Btw, SW or RB after market panda dials are superior to Noob and all that crap. So if you really want to upgrade then go that route.

But 99% of people can't notice, won't care, etc.

Reactions: Karbon74

FrankAU

Horology Curious
17/10/23
Buy a CF or BTF, and get it in hand before you even decide your next steps. So many new members want this or want that but haven't handled a rep yet. How would you know the quality or what it looks like? If you get it in hand and you REALLY wanr to change the dial, sure. But don't waste your money before hand.
Hi and thanks for your reply. Look I might sound like many newbies looking to buy a Gen for the cost of a replica. My question was more like trying to understand the reliability of the movement because I never had in my hands a rep. so I guess this was the purpose of my question. Because I see different prices for a Daytona Panda with the same SA 4130 movement from different factories, I am curious to know why, if possible.
Noob v4 dial? Good luck getting a hold of a Noob v4, let alone a dial.
Because I reckon I am not an expert, I guess you are implying that is quite rare to find. Well in that case I will go with for a rep without mod and then think to next steps once I have it in my hands.

Now if you were in my shoes buying a Panda for the first time, what would you suggests to look at for as important aspects for a rep costing more than $800.

Reaps

-
25/9/22
Hi and thanks for your reply. Look I might sound like many newbies looking to buy a Gen for the cost of a replica. My question was more like trying to understand the reliability of the movement because I never had in my hands a rep. so I guess this was the purpose of my question. Because I see different prices for a Daytona Panda with the same SA 4130 movement from different factories, I am curious to know why, if possible.

Because I reckon I am not an expert, I guess you are implying that is quite rare to find. Well in that case I will go with for a rep without mod and then think to next steps once I have it in my hands.

Now if you were in my shoes buying a Panda for the first time, what would you suggests to look at for as important aspects for a rep costing more than $800.
Playing the rep game, reliability is always a big concern, I get you. But one of the things you have to accept for fake watches is "not everything will go perfectly all the time.".

The SH4130 is one of the most reliable clone movements out there and is touted as the pinnacle of clone movements for replicas. It is very reliable and not much complaints about it. A full service by a watch maker will guarantee the watch will run for 3-5 years no issues. Replacing some of it with gen parts can make it run more stable as well, such as a mainspring. But my advice for this kind of stuff is don't service until the watch shows some issue.

But I cannot promise perfection. When you buy a rep, you accept some kind of risk that maybe your watch will arrived damage, or the movement you can get is a dud, it happens with all fake watches. I have over 25+ watches, about 6 of them are Daytonas, all with the SH4130. 5 of them work perfectly, 1 of them came with a stuttering chronograph that I had to get serviced to fix.

Another advice is to not run the chrono regularly, unless you service it. Even then I would run it sparingly.

Reaps

-
25/9/22

My honest advice for you is to get a BTF. Clean is nice, I have Clean, but unless you're willing to swap out the crystal it's actually inferior to the Clean. You're new so swapping crystals and all of that may not be in your capability.

To look for QC, I would look for these major things on a Rolex Daytona :
  • No scratches or dents or anything on crystal and case and bezel
  • Chronograph hands is aligned with the rehaut and resets to 0 properly
  • Printing of the Dial is good, especially look at the text
  • Rehaut is aligned and not SUPER misaligned (some misalignment left or right by tiny mm is ok
Regarding movement reliability, the best you can get is Timegrapher numbers.

Reactions: kulaki and FrankAU

FrankAU

Horology Curious
17/10/23
My honest advice for you is to get a BTF. Clean is nice, I have Clean, but unless you're willing to swap out the crystal it's actually inferior to the Clean. You're new so swapping crystals and all of that may not be in your capability.

To look for QC, I would look for these major things on a Rolex Daytona :
  • No scratches or dents or anything on crystal and case and bezel
  • Chronograph hands is aligned with the rehaut and resets to 0 properly
  • Printing of the Dial is good, especially look at the text
  • Rehaut is aligned and not SUPER misaligned (some misalignment left or right by tiny mm is ok
Regarding movement reliability, the best you can get is Timegrapher numbers.
Thanks mate. I do really appreciate for sharing this thread with me. Very interesting and was what I was looking for .

FrankAU

Horology Curious
17/10/23
I see you mentioned the SH4130 movement which seems newer than the SA4130 and more similar to the Gen one .

have you ever had experience with the SA variant ?

Reaps

-
25/9/22
I see you mentioned the SH4130 movement which seems newer than the SA4130 and more similar to the Gen one .

I should have probably said "DD4130". To me SH/SA4130 they're all pretty confusing. I assume you're talking about the new movement, which, no, I have 0 experience with.

Reactions: FrankAU

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20

SA4130 has been around for 4 years has been tried and tested and even the old ones in noobs (imo the best and most reliable) are still running strong. The sh4130 aren't more similar to gen, they just have a fake balance.

Reactions: FrankAU

Yasrolex

Known Member
18/7/23
London Uk
A question if I may?? Interested in a Daytona black dial version with the black ceramic dial. I have the clean panda version which I had a deep xtal done on it and so far it’s been superb.
But not sure if such a dial exists, a black dial with Arabic numerals?? I k ow they have ice blue dials with Arabic but haven’t been able to find a back dial with Arabic.
Any ideas on where to get one?? Or is this one of those Franken type of dials which will be costly??
Thanks.

Fabulously

Supporter
Certified
13/11/17
Lalaland
A question if I may?? Interested in a Daytona black dial version with the black ceramic dial. I have the clean panda version which I had a deep xtal done on it and so far it’s been superb.
But not sure if such a dial exists, a black dial with Arabic numerals?? I k ow they have ice blue dials with Arabic but haven’t been able to find a back dial with Arabic.
Any ideas on where to get one?? Or is this one of those Franken type of dials which will be costly??
Thanks.

All I could find:

https://watchanish.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F78341768003
So it does exist…

Yasrolex

Known Member
18/7/23
London Uk
Ok somehow worked. Yeh that’s the dial I’m looking for but highly doubt any TD will have something like that.
Asked a few but none have said they can source one.