• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The RM10 Homage Thread

buffedupboy

Known Member
15/2/13
Well, after successfully doing the Ennebi homage and APROO caseset, I'm looking for a new challenge for the year (and beyond). I'm also a fan of RM watches and up till now, there isn't a credible rep of any RM in the market. Maybe because of the level of difficulty or just sheer lack of demand.

Doing a credible job, requires modification of movements which isn't the easiest thing in the world. I'm not even going to attempt a rep because in order to get a 1:1 is near impossible unless alot of time is spent developing an entirely new movement. I rather do a homage that embodies the qualities of the original and looks credible. I am also normally against fake plates which don't contribute to the function of the watch. So here is what I'm going to be doing:

1) Titanium case that will be as close to the original in dimension as possible.
2) Using gen spec screws (which has already been done)
3) Accepts Gen strap (a gen strap has already been purchased). Homage will probably be leather with insert.
4) Skeletonising an A2824 to have the same look of the RM10 movement. Refinishing, blasting, PVD dark grey and laser etching to match. If possible will try to do a new skeletonised auto winding bridge to match the look of the gen.
5) Sapphire date disc as gen.
6) Top dial plate to match the look of the Gen (but will be markedly different because of the location of the gears and screws).
7) Replacing some screws on the movement to titanium 5 prong bolts to match Gen.
8) Variable weight rotor with same look and function as Gen.

The road is long, if we pool our resources we may be able to succeed.

buffedupboy

Known Member
15/2/13
One thing I am not certain of which some of you may know of is whether the crown is screw down?

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
Sick project mate! Looking forward to it. None of my reps had a screwdown crown, just a push pull.

Stuvetjee

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
Sick project mate! Looking forward to it. None of my reps had a screwdown crown, just a push pull.

buluth

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/6/15
I made homage of the RM11 out of aluminium. Can't wait to see yours.
4cd9f8f5739a5922db30edb8482074f8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

jpohl402

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/7/12
One thing I am not certain of which some of you may know of is whether the crown is screw down?

If I recall correctly, Gens do not screw down (99% sure of this!)

Fantastic effort for this great project!!
I look forward to seeing more!

HPoirot

31/3/11
Gen RM10 doesn't have a screw down. In fact, none of the tourneau shape has screw down crowns. Water resistance has never been RM's direction, focusing on automobile and other sports instead.

Only the RM 28 and the diver cases are are screwed down, though theyre more of a half screw (180 degrees) than the usual screws we're familiar with.

Count me in !!

buffedupboy

Known Member
15/2/13
Gen RM10 doesn't have a screw down. In fact, none of the tourneau shape has screw down crowns. Water resistance has never been RM's direction, focusing on automobile and other sports instead.

Only the RM 28 and the diver cases are are screwed down, though theyre more of a half screw (180 degrees) than the usual screws we're familiar with.

Count me in !!

Awesome! Looked at the specifications and it's insane. The tachymeter in carbon goes over the glass dial which is over the minute track which is also supposed to be in carbon. In reality these things are barely visible....

buffedupboy

Known Member
15/2/13
Interesting that I just noticed the bolts are sandblasted. Normally external bolts are polished to give the watch a shine. Wonder whether the washer is also sandblasted.

buffedupboy

Known Member
15/2/13
The crown is indeed not screwed down. The washer is polished/ brushed. But the screw is a deep blasted.

HPoirot

31/3/11
Funny story: The RM10 only got a 50m WR rating instead of the 100m like the RM005 due to the fact that the crown doesn't screw down.

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
15riphj.jpg

2uhqxyx.jpg

Movement modification including glass date disc and differential rotor.

With that movement (once modified) you could certainly make a rep rather than homage!!! And I reckon numerous members would pay a tidy sum to own one!!!

I certainly would!

DC

buffedupboy

Known Member
15/2/13
sy6z49.jpg

Finally finished all the modelling and drawings required for this project.
- The watch will fit gen strap with insert.
- Sapphire date disc
- Variable inertia rotor
- all bolts to gen spec in Grade 5 titanium
- Sapphire dial

173h1x.jpg

Stuvetjee

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
Finally finished all the modelling and drawings required for this project.
- The watch will fit gen strap with insert.
- Sapphire date disc
- Variable inertia rotor
- all bolts to gen spec in Grade 5 titanium
- Sapphire dial

I want it!!! Great that you already have the model ready. Are you going to get it 3D printed for a mockup?