• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The pilworx Penultimate Platinumizing Procedure

wb5dx

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/6/14
Oh ... And the anitas mod looks good. To be honest, I can't really tell a difference.

janstood

Known Member
17/9/14
I have had a go on a shitty ceramic insert from the bay. Not applied very carefully and can certainly correct that but trying to get the peachy changing colour without access to Anita's paint. Hard to photograph - looks quite whit from some angles, silvery from others and more golden/peach from others.

Let me know what you think about the colour?

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
I think it looks good but i real haven't seen a genuine in months, I did my DSSD and SUB C and they turned out very much the same as yours, I had BK do a No Date Sub C with the Anitas and its very thin almost like a silver wash over white, we need to look up some genuine Macros for this thread.

janstood

Known Member
17/9/14
Thanks Thrasher. Long way to go yet but I am determined to get the peachy thing going on as this is what I notice when I look at the gens in ADs. I am not sure if I am so worried about the grain size but would be good to nail it. Would love someone to post some macros of the gen markers - preferably taken in natural day light so that we have a hope of comparing. May be that less of this metallic paint ( I used a mix of MS, an acrylic called 'warm platinum' which was peachy gold and a very tiny bit of peach acrylic to bring the glitter down) on a peachy white base might be the answer.

janstood

Known Member
17/9/14
By the way Thrasher - do you know if BK removed the original white or if he went over it?

DR3M3L

TECHMIN
Advisor
27/10/14
It's the one and only tut I learned from how to do it properly. The results are amazing, every single time.

** This message may, or may not, be sent using Tapatalk **

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
BK went over the white. So I did not get a V2 as I thought because V2s have the factory noob silver

marcinflair

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
22/5/15
I just read that and i am stunt mate! i real top end craftsmanship explained step by step like you talking to a baby. Thats what i am really great full for! My ordered Sub will be arriving any day now and i hope i will do not need this job done. But if i do i know who to come to for advice. Many thanks for sharing your work!

janstood

Known Member
17/9/14
For those with nerves about taking of the insert and removing the pearl - just did it to y Smurf - easy peasy. Following watchoholic took out the movement dial and all, put half an inch of recently boiled water in a saucer, placed the case face down in the water for two mins, held the bezel still and pushed down with 2 fingers on the insert and gripping the pearl with finger nail rocked it back and forth till it moved freely releasing the glue (double sided sticky tape) on the back.

Can’t remember who had the tip re: soldering iron but 1 minute on the side of the pearl and it lifted out easily - definitely easier if you have removed the insert first. Really simple stuff, don’t be afraid.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
I have had a go on a shitty ceramic insert from the bay. Not applied very carefully and can certainly correct that but trying to get the peachy changing colour without access to Anita's paint. Hard to photograph - looks quite whit from some angles, silvery from others and more golden/peach from others.

Let me know what you think about the colour?

Looks too much gold IMO

watchoholic

24/7/08
Hey guys, i am truly sorry for not responding to PM's and not finishing this task up. After the whole identity theft issue my father ended up in the hospital and things aren't looking good. My luck has been awful lately. I will catch up with you all when i can.

-watchiholic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
Prayers to your father and family and I will try and find some identity theft resources. What state are you in.

watchoholic

24/7/08
Thrash, thank you. I am on the tail end of the identity theft stuff but appreciate the offer, i am just waiting on the IRS now and my accountant said it probably wont be until next tax season until i hear from them as thousands of people are in the same boat.

Capt_K

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/14
Wow looks pretty legit man!

janstood

Known Member
17/9/14
Watchoholic, all the best for your father.

Thrasher, removing the movement is very easy but as you probably know, when removing the stem you must be very light handed or, as I have done, you screw up the keyless works - do this and you get your first journey into watch repair.

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
I think I'm heading in that direction already though I need the best tools possible, rather than some of the basic shit I have. Screwdrivers seem to be the weakest link and I need a tool for removing hands and a tutorial or two, what I probably need is more time

janstood

Known Member
17/9/14
I think I'm heading in that direction already though I need the best tools possible, rather than some of the basic shit I have. Screwdrivers seem to be the weakest link and I need a tool for removing hands and a tutorial or two, what I probably need is more time

My experience, go for the lever style hand removers and a set of eBay anti magnetic tweezers. And expect the tiny screws to ping out of the tweezers and across the room at least until you get used to how much pressure to apply. You don't of course need to remove the hands unless you are removing the dial to get at the date wheel or keyless works.