• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The pilworx Penultimate Platinumizing Procedure

JAFO

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/13
It's pretty cool how the thinner evaporates and the engravings are painted all the way up the sides. I was worried I'd mix the paint wrong - because I'm a moron - but it worked really well. I can't wait to see it after I scrape it and then get all the blood off lol.

JAFO

16/10/13
Yeah well once i was getting ready to brush my teeth, and im putting toothpaste on the toothbrush, and as i get to the end of the brush, the last bristles spring back and shot a blob of toothpaste into my eye, and that shit burned sooo bad.

But not as bad as the the day i shot myself in the eye with concentrated CS......my buddy was a MP and i was looking at his flashlight, the call them lackland lasers, and it had 2 buttons, so im looking at the reflector, i hit one button, the light comes on...cool .....hey what does this other button do ? it shot CS ....

Ha! The worst for me was when I was a kid. Me and my best friend Chad were about to paint the body of a model rocket - silver. And the spray can ain't working and so what does JAFO do? Well I turn the can around and look directly in the nozzle and push it and I sprayed myself full on on the face and eyes with silver spray paint. Luckily my eyelids are smarter than me and shut before much got in there. But now I'm running around the yard screaming and looking like I belong in a Flock Of Seagulls video.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Okkies JAFO wins !

JAFO

16/10/13
Not too bad...

image.jpg

JAFO

16/10/13
The specs on the insert are lint, not paint:

image.jpg

I'll some pics in the sun later today. This was really easy to do and kinda fun. Now, if somebody could just reach me how to insert a stem without completely jacking the keyless...

Thanks to pilworx for this awesome tutorial!

JAFO

16/10/13
Ok so the triangle had a little bump in the factory white paint. Which looked like a mountain once I applied the flat steel. So I stripped the whole sumbitch back down to the white paint, then dug out the bump in the triangle and cleaned it up and redid the whole insert. Finished cleaning it up this morning and reinserted the damn pearl and then glued the sumbitchin back side of its post on the back of the insert. It ain't coming off again.

Did
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

And indid did the paint mod on one of my bracelets. The Deep Blue is laser burned on so I can't do it. Which sucks.

JAFO

16/10/13
I think the insert turned out really well. Keep in mind this isn't the Noob Ultimate 1:1 "takes genuine parts!!" version v69 - this is just a value priced 21j I picked up from Stan. It's a great watch and incredible value. But the insert engraving and factory paint application isn't as good as a 600 dollar piece. So under high magnification the engraving shows its flaws. But that's ok - I don't carry around a loupe and neither does anybody I know lol. Having said all that, the mod is worth the time. Of course, in direct bright light it does look a lot like the factory off white. But it does have the grainy silvery/platinumy look now. Which is pretty damn cool.

The only thing I hate about these inserts is they're so damn shiny and they attract every damn bit of lint floating in the air. So be prepared to scrape, brush, blow, and repeat about a gazillion times cause you think there's a spec of paint but turns out it's lint. I'd rather do a GMT II insert any day cause there is less to paint - the DSSD insert has exactly 3700 little dashes on it and holy hell do you have to be careful and patient.

One tip tip I want to pass along - those pointed q tips pilworx suggested are awesome. They're hard and have a kinda rough texture and you can actually use them to get the tiny bits of paint your razor blade missed - especially on the really tight areas between two really small and close engravings. Just rub one back and forth a few times and no more spec of paint.

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Nice work JAFO !!!

Can we get a finger check too please ?

JAFO

16/10/13
Nice work JAFO !!!

Can we get a finger check too please ?

All accounted for, Cap'n!! And I only managed to cut myself one time.

Once I discovered that the pointy q tip thingies would remove small bits of paint, things got way easier.

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Sweetness !

JAFO

16/10/13
image.jpg

If the friggin sun ever comes back out I'll get a decent day light picture.

JAFO

16/10/13
Finally - some sunshine. I hope this shows the color and texture better than my other pictures:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
Did you Unscrew the crown yet? I Friggin Dare you!!! IF the crown and stem pull right out the side i might die laughing!!!!

JAFO

16/10/13
Did you Unscrew the crown yet? I Friggin Dare you!!! IF the crown and stem pull right out the side i might die laughing!!!!

Bwahahahaha!!! Me too! I'd be like what - the fourth or fifth guy that happened to?? Man that's got to suck and I mean suck hard.

JAFO

16/10/13
Wait - isn't that only happening on the 3135s? This is a 21j - haven't had any issues with the stem.