• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Moonswatch metal mod aka Project Alaskswatch

takamakatai

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/5/23
US
This is such a cool idea. I wonder if a genuine moonswatch would fit into a metal case?

rockdaytona

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/12/19
Parts Unknown
I still think the Moonswatch Smurf would be sweet:
3wwAvD.png

Reactions: Haltec

Replicated

Supporter
Certified
19/2/15
NL 🇳🇱
Ok sooo was tinkering today on how I was going to hold the movement in place while I wait on my replacement PE50 from Ali to get here so I can adjust the stem legnth and had a *duhhhhhhhhhhh* movement. Turns out the movement holder supplied with the case fits the PE50... PERFECTLY. No modification. I thought I was going to have to shave down the height and then I put on the caseback and it fit around it perfectly. Soooo this goes from easy to EASY PEASY. End result freaking SLAPS for ~60 bucks.

Needed:
1. Ali Case 40mm "Case 1-Black": https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256804707033900.html - 27.00
2. Ali PE50 Spare Movement (used to harvest stem off of) - 9.00
3. DHGate Moonswatch of Choosing (This build shows Mission to the Moon) - 27.00
4. Strap/Braclet of your choosing. I put it on a Chevron Stone strap - 20mm: https://www.crownandbuckle.com/chevron-adjustable-stone.html - 32.00

Initital casing and checking of height with original movement holder from Ali case *note I did not re-use the brushed trim ring around the dial from the original watch. It technically fits but with the domed crystal you can't really see it anyway and I thought it would just add the potential for something to shift/rattle around inside*:

Installing bezel print (and showing unused parts from original watch):

On the strap complete!

*ANYONE* is capable of doing this build no matter your skill level. Highly recommend it as the end result has really won me over and it's a fun, fast, project with unlimited customization combinations possible.
Don't get me wrong on this one. But did they put the wrong dial in the "Mission to the Moon" case? I think this is the "Mercury" dial. (two tone instead of full black).

cyprusdaedalus

Wannabe Watchmaker
Certified
16/4/22
Don't get me wrong on this one. But did they put the wrong dial in the "Mission to the Moon" case? I think this is the "Mercury" dial. (two tone instead of full black).
I thought the same thing and basically their version of the mission to moon seems to be a mismash of Mercury and the Moon. But yea - you're correct because I bought a seperate Mercury to do the same build and the dials were basically the same.

Replicated

Supporter
Certified
19/2/15
NL 🇳🇱
Well, these Ali Moonswatches are different. Movements are loose and can’t set the time in the metal case.
What a pain in the ass this is.
I’d rather build a SEIKO watch. But I already did 10 of those. So no, I am not a noob.