• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The AP questions thread (All the questions you want to ask about AP but were afraid to)

AG91

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/3/22
Salve a tutti! Stavo pensando di acquistare un 15500 con quadrante bianco, quale pensi sia il più vicino alla gen? aps o zf?

ngohxuanhui

Looking Around
8/1/22
Hi guys
How does this
Compare to the JF? Any thoughts on this and the dark knight by APF? I’m very conflicted if I should hunt for the JF or settle for the APF as I heard they are essentially the same because of the network.

wtforce

Supporter
Certified
21/11/22
Is which RO perpetual calendar has the most functional complications?

Dbj1780

Horology Curious
8/3/21
Hello everyone. In your opinion, what is the best imitated watch to date, which is really imitated perfectly or almost? I really like Audemars Piguet models where you can see the movement at the back or at the front, but I don't know if they are perfectly imitated or almost perfectly. If someone could help me, that would be nice because I'm a bit new here :) thank you very much

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hello everyone. In your opinion, what is the best imitated watch to date, which is really imitated perfectly or almost? I really like Audemars Piguet models where you can see the movement at the back or at the front, but I don't know if they are perfectly imitated or almost perfectly. If someone could help me, that would be nice because I'm a bit new here :) thank you very much
There are no perfect AP reps
Just buy what you like and wear it well. If you’re not looking to pass them off as gen, it’s not a problem whatever you choose.

Last edited:

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
If you are into APRO then eg. 15202, 15400, 15450, 15500, 15510.

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
Hi, they could be quite perfect if most people agreed to pay 2000 or 3000 $ for a rep but it's not the case. IMO, the RO 15202 by ZF is a very good watch with a Miyota movement.

alpharp

24/12/21
Hi, they could be quite perfect if most people agreed to pay 2000 or 3000 $ for a rep but it's not the case. IMO, the RO 15202 by ZF is a very good watch with a Miyota movement.
ZF offers a clone 4302 movement in their 15500 V3 and 3120 “clone” in their latest 15400 V3. APSF does the same.

The AP wizard @legend did a breakdown of the 4302 clone found in the ZF/APSF 15500. He found that it is one of the best rep movements to date, and is on par with the noob 4130 Daytona clone. There is an instant date change at midnight, and most parts could be swapped with gen. The only part you’d really want to swap is the date disc, though. Obviously, it is recommended to get the movement serviced as they usually come dirty.

It’s a bit of a different story with the 15400. The Dandong 3120 clone isn’t a true clone — the genuine 3120 movement has an instant date change at midnight while the clone does not. Dandong missed a key element to the movement, and the only solution would be to redesign the movement from the factory. Some users even reported a longer date change than the Miyota. The movement does offer many benefits over the Miyota, though. It can take a gen dial, date disc, hands (except second hand), and rotor without having to be modified. Also, the balance bridge is at the correct 8 o clock position on the clone movement, for a more gen appearance through the transparent caseback. There are a lot of posts on the forum about this movement, j21 extensively frankened a clone 3120.

Personally, I own a ZF 15400 V2 with the decorated Miyota, service, rebrushing and gen dial. Get whatever speaks to you personally, and if having a clone movement matters or not to you. Clone movements are very expensive if something goes wrong. Obviously, keep in mind rep is rep and gen is gen - no matter how good your rep is, it is not a genuine watch, nor should be passed as such. With that being said, in my opinion the most “perfect” RO rep without adding any gen parts would be an APSF 15500 with a ZF black dial serviced by legend.

watchlover1234!

20/8/22
ZF offers a clone 4302 movement in their 15500 V3 and 3120 “clone” in their latest 15400 V3. APSF does the same.

The AP wizard @legend did a breakdown of the 4302 clone found in the ZF/APSF 15500. He found that it is one of the best rep movements to date, and is on par with the noob 4130 Daytona clone. There is an instant date change at midnight, and most parts could be swapped with gen. The only part you’d really want to swap is the date disc, though. Obviously, it is recommended to get the movement serviced as they usually come dirty.

It’s a bit of a different story with the 15400. The Dandong 3120 clone isn’t a true clone — the genuine 3120 movement has an instant date change at midnight while the clone does not. Dandong missed a key element to the movement, and the only solution would be to redesign the movement from the factory. Some users even reported a longer date change than the Miyota. The movement does offer many benefits over the Miyota, though. It can take a gen dial, date disc, hands (except second hand), and rotor without having to be modified. Also, the balance bridge is at the correct 8 o clock position on the clone movement, for a more gen appearance through the transparent caseback. There are a lot of posts on the forum about this movement, j21 extensively frankened a clone 3120.

Personally, I own a ZF 15400 V2 with the decorated Miyota, service, rebrushing and gen dial. Get whatever speaks to you personally, and if having a clone movement matters or not to you. Clone movements are very expensive if something goes wrong. Obviously, keep in mind rep is rep and gen is gen - no matter how good your rep is, it is not a genuine watch, nor should be passed as such. With that being said, in my opinion the most “perfect” RO rep without adding any gen parts would be an APSF 15500 with a ZF black dial serviced by legend.
But have you seen a ZF v3 15500 as I thought that was the closest to gen reading the forum.

alpharp

24/12/21
But have you seen a ZF v3 15500 as I thought that was the closest to gen reading the forum.
It is all personal preference, each have their own flaws. If you do not want to mod, I do agree that the ZF 15500 V3 is closest to gen out of the box. The ZF dial is closer to gen than APSF. APSF is also known for having sharp bracelets, but I would say ZF and APSF have a relatively similar bracelet quality. I would recommend getting a polish/rebrush.

Reactions: AG91

watchlover1234!

20/8/22
It is all personal preference, each have their own flaws. If you do not want to mod, I do agree that the ZF 15500 V3 is closest to gen out of the box. The ZF dial is closer to gen than APSF. APSF is also known for having sharp bracelets, but I would say ZF and APSF have a relatively similar bracelet quality. I would recommend getting a polish/rebrush.
Ok thanks for info. Any idea if there is anyone in uk that can do polish/rebrush? Iv only seen ones in America and Italy.

TingelTangelTom

God´s Gift to Mankind.
15/2/17
EU

If anything goes south with these super-duper-clone movements...where can you get spare parts? any replacement-mvmt available? havent seen any. I think that is one have to consider buying these reps, weather instant date change at midnight or reliability and spare parts. but thats just me :)

fireice2

Known Member
4/3/19
If anything goes south with these super-duper-clone movements...where can you get spare parts? any replacement-mvmt available? havent seen any. I think that is one have to consider buying these reps, weather instant date change at midnight or reliability and spare parts. but thats just me :)
Get a new one? :D

Reactions: Nono92

Dbj1780

Horology Curious
8/3/21

Thank you very much for taking the time to give me a very complete answer.

In your opinion, the best version to date is the 15500 ZF V3 with black dial?

I didn't know you could add parts from the original to the fake. It's really crazy.

I want to reassure you, the watch will be entirely for me, and will not be sold as a real one. I've always dreamed of having this watch but obviously I don't have the money to buy the real one. Would you change anything on the ZF V3 if you had it? Thanks a lot

Would you change anything on the ZF V3 if you had it? Thanks you very much :) !