• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The AP questions thread (All the questions you want to ask about AP but were afraid to)

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
Total noob here. Hope this is the right place to post this. But I'm just beginning my research to purchase an AP dark knight rep. I was just curious if anyone had any experience or feedback as to which manufacturer would have the highest quality rep.
598$ is the good price. You have a discount with Trustytime until the end of October...

Reactions: 412x1017x

code_66

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/7/19
598$ is the good price. You have a discount with Trustytime until the end of October...
Thanks for sending this over! I found it on their site:
AP ROO Dark Knight

But price is showing $758. Is there a promo code you need to use for the sale price, or just contact TD direct? Thanks in advance!

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
For 8% discount, it's TRUSTY8OFF. Moreover you have 5% discount with bank transfer... They should be added together.

412x1017x

Horology Curious
26/10/22
I was able to source the JF AP Dark Knight through trusty. Placed order today. Any advice regarding the 7750 movement? Really don't care about the chrono tbh but would like to keep the movement working for as long as possible. Or is the 7750 just not reliable at all?

Kielxx

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/8/20
Hello
Can you please let me know correct lift angle for clone 4302 ?

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
I was able to source the JF AP Dark Knight through trusty. Placed order today. Any advice regarding the 7750 movement? Really don't care about the chrono tbh but would like to keep the movement working for as long as possible. Or is the 7750 just not reliable at all ?
The answer of an expert :
Unfortunately there are no alternatives on reliability, apart form the DD module and base movement. All AP Roo chronos with 7750 suffer the same issues of movement degradation over time. In short the A7750 and in fact the Swiss 7750 are juts not designed to drive an additional train to move the running seconds

whereas the DD module and 2892 movement marry together seamlessly, with the DD module being designed to accommodate the output power of the base movement and the running second hand being driven directly off the movement 4th wheel

Some of the older 7750's did not have a jewelled centre wheel, which does reduce friction from the transfer train, the new 7750's do have this additional jewel and fair better. If yours doesn't have this centre wheel jewel (on the Hour wheel) adding it would be an upgrade. There are five additional transfer gears in an AP Roo 7750 movement, each one saps and amount of power from the base movement causing amplitude drop and variable time keeping.

In addition these transfer gears all carry an amount of "backlash" within them, this "backlash" can cause issue on the running second hand, making it jittery. There is a very small brass compression washer on the running second pinion, this itself can cause issues with amplitude. Too much tension can make it drop, too little and the second hand will be jittery

Heights and settings of these four gears are very critical to the smooth running of the movement. If you service one of these its very important that the base 7750 movement is running perfectly with good amplitude Min (300 degrees) before adding the transfer gears. Add then one by one and run for at least a day to see if they affect the running of the watch. Keep adding one by one and running and you will eventually find the one that is causing you the issue as amplitude will drop. It is important that you run for at least a day when adding the gears, as amplitude degeneration usually occurs over time

The minute counter is rarely an issue, which has three transfer gears and the hour counter is driven directly, so your issues will be the running second.

Thunker

Looking Around
15/4/20
Anybody have any idea why my zf 15710 will just stop while wearing? I will wind for 2 minutes but occasionally out of the blue it just stops.

Yerr2200

Looking Around
26/10/22
which factory has the best (leaning towards better finish/polish) white ceramic blue ap?

also is aps and apsf the same factory?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Anybody have any idea why my zf 15710 will just stop while wearing? I will wind for 2 minutes but occasionally out of the blue it just stops.
Nobody will be able to answer this meaningfully without first examining the watch movement. The causes can be plenty. But it is 99% resolvable.

Reactions: Allure

DandoVilla

Horology Curious
1/11/22
Guys, Im sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I am still a bit clunky at navigating this forum ... In terms of APs, is it possible to get some of the more obscure watches like the anniversary editions etc ...

Examples above

Similarly, if you are able to go away from Steel, do the titanium, ceramic, gold finishes still "look good" in rep, do the golds, the black ceramics etc last well in a rep finish/material. Or is it better to stick to some of the more popular models in more "normal" materials.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Reactions: Allure

rawbar

Horology Curious
29/12/12
Guys, Im sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I am still a bit clunky at navigating this forum ... In terms of APs, is it possible to get some of the more obscure watches like the anniversary editions etc ...

Examples above

Similarly, if you are able to go away from Steel, do the titanium, ceramic, gold finishes still "look good" in rep, do the golds, the black ceramics etc last well in a rep finish/material. Or is it better to stick to some of the more popular models in more "normal" materials.

While I can't answer all of this, I can say I fell in love with the all black look of DLC. Then I researched it and found a picture Legend posted of a gen DLC and how the gen coating wears off and the watch looks like ****. So that killed my desire for the all black because if DLC is wearing off the gen, I'm sure it will be worse on a rep. I think I read to resolve this issue, AP switched to full ceramic.

Rav944

Looking Around
17/10/22
Wales

Hi, new to the forum and was wondering if anyone has experience of the blue dial version of ROO Ruben Barrichello at all?

Is it readily available? Would the ZF factory be the best factory like the 15500

Thanks