• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 1016: The Under Appreciated Thread

tigroz

Getting To Know The Place
9/8/23
Rome
htDrJ1.jpeg

htDlFI.jpeg

htDC2c.jpeg
It’s raffle dial ? The yellow lume? Did you aged a little bit or not?

• Love
Reactions: 1016 lover

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
It’s raffle dial ? The yellow lume? Did you aged a little bit or not?
YEs it is. Raffles dial, hands and case. I weathered the dial surface to give it a sun faded dusty look and then aged the lume on the dial and hands with air brush paints to the desired tone.

1675lover

23/7/22
I used a drill and a sanding bit to widen the inner diameter of the bezel.

u need to go back and forth until u get a good fit. If my memory serves me well, I had luck with widening it to about 30.6~30.8mm between 3 different builds

there are different techniques to age the dial - repaint the lume, relume the dial etc. doubt anyone will just share their techniques :ROFLMAO:

u will need bigger tools for the lugs, I don’t so I just left mine as is. Build it, enjoy it

1675lover

23/7/22
The 1016 uses a tropic 22 crystal but the aftermarket and even Rolex service crystals have a slightly different dome than the true original ones that came on the watch in the 60s.
some of us use a t21 instead to get that dome feel.

both crystals have different dimensions so the bezel inner diameter is different

u can alternatively get a bezel from 1016L, he is located in the EU I think so it should be fairly simple for u;)
he has a workshop that makes bezels that fit either a t21 or t22

WatchN3RD

I supported. Doesn't make me an expert!
Gold Patron
24/7/18
No I have not.

Two reasons for that -
1) the motor is running just fine.
2) the rumours that you should stop the motor every 8 minutes are exaggerated. It all (as you will know) depends on Load-On-chuck.

Are you sure the noise isn't coming from the bottom pulley - the Idler Pulley - the damn screw works loose and, so far, nothing I do seems to tighten it until it shuts up. I just give it a drop of oil if it starts chirrping and give it a turn or two with pliers.

If it IS the actual motor then yep, time to go with a replacement motor but don't discount that it might just need new Brushes - or a bit of TLC and a service.
I know a lot of random shit, but I don't know lathe motors. If your screw is working lose, can I recommend you tighten it as much as you want when it's literally ice cold? That seems intuitive, but I bet it really won't work; however, a mini butane torch in the right spots with tightening might actually lock it in place where you want it.
There's nothing like a like a screw that's constantly dealing with vibrations while also expanding and contracting with every use.
Just a thought. Not sure if I'm talking about the type of pulley you need for a lathe, but many solutions carry over.
Also, I agree with your load comment. Similar motors were used for woodworking tools, grinders, polishers, etc. and I've never actually seen one die in person. I've heard rumors about excessive loads my entire life though.
They probably are likely worth more in copper windings than as a motor, but they sure as shit are bulletproof.

Reactions: 316lad

johnchpark

1/12/22
South Korea
Has anyone figured out how to match the hands to the dial on Raffle’s white lume parts?

I want a NOS look, so just white lume without aging.

But my previous experience was Raffle’s dial lume (the white ones) get a strong green tint when activated (sunlight or light). But his hands don’t lume well, so they will be stark white while the dial lume is green.

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Is the B palette the most used? Thinking of picking up a set but quite a big color range between the sets.
Thanks
the white is what I use for the sun fade effect. I own 3 sets A B and C I find that A and B are the most common I use from aging the dial to the lume in various colors or tone. I also use water based air brush candy paint to age the lume on dials. however some lume plots on raffles dials dont respond well to the paint so that is when I use the weathering paints.

Reactions: johnchpark

GenuineFool

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
Not sure if it has been posted already but was looking at this earlier, interesting to see what a new case looks like from Rolex

1016 Tropical Dial

I haven't seen that one. Very interesting; great find! Their prices are crazy though, even for a matte dial 1016 in average condition.

But it prompts the question: how badly do you have to abuse your 1016 that Rolex decides to replace the entire case? Like deeply scratch it regularly and have it polished regularly until there are almost no lugs left? How does this level of abuse not affect the hands, dial, and especially the movement?

This watch was definitely owned by someone who wore it hard as a daily for decades. No doubt.