• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 1016: The Under Appreciated Thread

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
htDrJ1.jpeg

htDlFI.jpeg

htDC2c.jpeg

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
Any Sunday Evening Kitchen Shot Club members - now is the time - get them in fast.
Memberships are only open tonight for the next 15 minutes owing to administrative difficulties here at H.O.

Time is now: 18:30 GMT

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
Nice lathe indeed, but motor IS very old, bearing do lot of noise, i have to plan an upgrade, will go brushless, did you do upgrade with yours?
No I have not.

Two reasons for that -
1) the motor is running just fine.
2) the rumours that you should stop the motor every 8 minutes are exaggerated. It all (as you will know) depends on Load-On-chuck.

Are you sure the noise isn't coming from the bottom pulley - the Idler Pulley - the damn screw works loose and, so far, nothing I do seems to tighten it until it shuts up. I just give it a drop of oil if it starts chirrping and give it a turn or two with pliers.

If it IS the actual motor then yep, time to go with a replacement motor but don't discount that it might just need new Brushes - or a bit of TLC and a service.

Reactions: pullthat92

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
I'm not saying that one of these new Variable Speed Motors isn't a good idea - it probably is - if your original motor has given out.
But I do enjoy the discipline of the Emco Motor - the pause that a belt change creates. The time to take a look at what we're doing, how we are going to go about it, the approach to the Work, etc. Planning, surfacing, etc.

I worry that an instantly controllable motor speed will make me rush things - and that's when mistakes conjur themselves in to existense. The work I'm doing these days is very "mistake-intolernt" in so much as it's taking me ages to do things and I need to get thuungs right.

The Emco - as it stands right now - matches me "work-mood".

I hope that makes sense.

1016 lover

4/10/22
I'm not saying that one of these new Variable Speed Motors isn't a good idea - it probably is - if your original motor has given out.
But I do enjoy the discipline of the Emco Motor - the pause that a belt change creates. The time to take a look at what we're doing, how we are going to go about it, the approach to the Work, etc. Planning, surfacing, etc.

I worry that an instantly controllable motor speed will make me rush things - and that's when mistakes conjur themselves in to existense. The work I'm doing these days is very "mistake-intolernt" in so much as it's taking me ages to do things and I need to get thuungs right.

The Emco - as it stands right now - matches me "work-mood".

I hope that makes sense.
Found a good deal on a brushlees motor, sur m'y motor IS dead, i used it several Time and désassembler it, bearing have lot of play, brushes seem to be good but sur that thé rotor touch thé stator some Times, i thought to rebuild it but for the extra cost, prefer to try variable speed, think to mount a laping disc on it and variable speed will be appréciable on this task

But like thé original look and thé belt that play fuse in case of Bad approach during opération...

Best deal incan find with lot of extra tools for milling, i like this little machine, good balance for my purpose

• Love
Reactions: 316lad

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
Found a good deal on a brushlees motor, sur m'y motor IS dead, i used it several Time and désassembler it, bearing have lot of play, brushes seem to be good but sur that thé rotor touch thé stator some Times, i thought to rebuild it but for the extra cost, prefer to try variable speed, think to mount a laping disc on it and variable speed will be appréciable on this task

But like thé original look and thé belt that play fuse in case of Bad approach during opération...

Best deal incan find with lot of extra tools for milling, i like this little machine, good balance for my purpose
Definitely new motor time. In some ways I’m waiting for that moment to happen to me too. But this old Emco motor keeps going and keeps suiting my needs and for as long as it does it will stay. The minute it doesn’t - of course - new motor.

Reactions: 1016 lover

tjc9806

Do not accept unsolicited offers
22/8/24
Hi all,

I am working my way through this very dense and instructive thread. Only about halfway, but there's almost 300 pages to read through...I'll get there. I could use a direct/detailed response to two questions, or feel free to point me to where they've already been answered, assuming i've overlooked something or haven't gotten there yet. My questions are:

1) I'm looking to replace the crystal on the raffles case. I've purchased the sapphire case and disassembled it myself. I've seen reference to those using either T21 or T22 acrylic.

(1a) what's the actual difference between these two crystals?
(1b) what exact modifications need to be done, if any, to the raffles case or bezel, so that either the t21 or t22 will fit?
(1c) in case the bezel needs the inner diameter widened--I suspect it does, as there is just above .5mm clearance to fit the crystal between it and the rehaut--what methods exactly do y'all use to reliably open the ID of the bezel?

2) I've seen lots of talk about reshaping the raffles case but it's unclear what exactly is done to reshape. I think I see the need to soften the lug angles but unsure beyond that.

(2a) what exactly are people doing to reshape? I.e. what reshaping is most pressing to get a more accurate case look?
(2b) do most people just use diamond files and then sand to polish?

Many thanks in advance!

1016 lover

4/10/22
Hi all,

I am working my way through this very dense and instructive thread. Only about halfway, but there's almost 300 pages to read through...I'll get there. I could use a direct/detailed response to two questions, or feel free to point me to where they've already been answered, assuming i've overlooked something or haven't gotten there yet. My questions are:

1) I'm looking to replace the crystal on the raffles case. I've purchased the sapphire case and disassembled it myself. I've seen reference to those using either T21 or T22 acrylic.

(1a) what's the actual difference between these two crystals?
(1b) what exact modifications need to be done, if any, to the raffles case or bezel, so that either the t21 or t22 will fit?
(1c) in case the bezel needs the inner diameter widened--I suspect it does, as there is just above .5mm clearance to fit the crystal between it and the rehaut--what methods exactly do y'all use to reliably open the ID of the bezel?

2) I've seen lots of talk about reshaping the raffles case but it's unclear what exactly is done to reshape. I think I see the need to soften the lug angles but unsure beyond that.

(2a) what exactly are people doing to reshape? I.e. what reshaping is most pressing to get a more accurate case look?
(2b) do most people just use diamond files and then sand to polish?

Many thanks in advance!
Better IS to go other bezel as the shape of thé raffle IS not correct, contact me if you need, i Can supply crystal and bezel 😉