• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 1016: The Under Appreciated Thread

Erect

Aroused By Anything Vintage
Supporter
Certified
9/2/24
EU
Ebay Link 6610 1957

Why does this not have a big white c...lollipop?

Minute hand looks like 12.5mm too (service hand)
Crown is brevet, original, nicely dinged up.
Jubilee is obviously a later replacement bracelet.
Did the RSC not have any big lollipop seconds hands for service? I genuinely don't know about this. Maybe that's why they put on a smaller white seconds hand? 1957 must have a big lollipop IIRC.

Last edited:

AllanV

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
4/3/23
EU
I'm constantly surprised, after almost five years of wearing a vintage Explorer rep in one form or another 99% of the time, that I am still completely infatuated by the looks and practicality of these references. They are truly design icons!

Another surprising thing is that I continue to be interested in studying other vintage watches; I just no longer desire to own them.
It's a great "achievement" to reach to that point, in which you "no longer desire to own them"! I hope I can get there too!

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I'm constantly surprised, after almost five years of wearing a vintage Explorer rep in one form or another 99% of the time, that I am still completely infatuated by the looks and practicality of these references. They are truly design icons!

Another surprising thing is that I continue to be interested in studying other vintage watches; I just no longer desire to own them.

In a way, I can relate to this.
I take great satisfaction in wearing something I have built

much less wearing gens costing thousands. It almost feels weird actually

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Unrelated to the 1016, but I was on Raffles site looking through the odds and ends and noticed there's a bunch of dials for $20-25. I picked up a few Explorer (new style) and Air King dials for future builds. Many of them have dial feet for the 2813/Citizen movements only, which is probably why they're so cheap, but I'm not adverse to soldering on new feet or using dial dots, and I've got a stash of 34mm cases I want to build up. Most are for the 36mm case, but look like there's enough "meat" on the dial to turn it down to 27mm for the smaller case.

Take a look, there's some neat styles, although many will be fantasy watches, since I'm not sure they all correspond to gen watches.

There's even a Harley Davidson Rolex, lol.

Anyway, having almost comlpeted the ladies' watch project, I need to build a couple Explorers and Air Kings.

Then it's on to Subs and GMTs.

But these are the ones I picked up. There are a lot more available.

trash3939

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/10/19
Unrelated to the 1016, but I was on Raffles site looking through the odds and ends and noticed there's a bunch of dials for $20-25. I picked up a few Explorer (new style) and Air King dials for future builds. Many of them have dial feet for the 2813/Citizen movements only, which is probably why they're so cheap, but I'm not adverse to soldering on new feet or using dial dots, and I've got a stash of 34mm cases I want to build up. Most are for the 36mm case, but look like there's enough "meat" on the dial to turn it down to 27mm for the smaller case.

Take a look, there's some neat styles, although many will be fantasy watches, since I'm not sure they all correspond to gen watches.

There's even a Harley Davidson Rolex, lol.

Anyway, having almost comlpeted the ladies' watch project, I need to build a couple Explorers and Air Kings.

Then it's on to Subs and GMTs.

But these are the ones I picked up. There are a lot more available.

I also put together a white 14270 dial.
KRP93F.jpeg

dpd3672

Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Will start a thread for the build once it’s underway, but sharing this here for input, advice, and encouragement. Next rabbit hole is going to be an Oysterquartz Datejust with a gen dial.

Shown with a rep Tissot PRX, although I got a deal on an older Tissot Seastar ($50) from the same era that might work better.

Hopefully it’s drop in with a DWO, but you know how these things go…

Gen:

Rep PRX with Gen dial:

Gen vintage Tissot:

dpd3672

Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Very nice. Do you want to leave the recess of the first link as it is? it is much shalower on the rlx case.
Haven’t got that far. At some point, I’m going to have to accept the differences as not worth fixing, but how many people really could spot the flaws unless there was a Gen side by side?

The PRX is basically an oysterquartz homage as is, but there are some slight differences. If the dial can fit the movement and case, I’m probably not going to go much further, other than a DWO and maybe better hands (edited to remove some weird all caps bug). If I can do some slight case shaping, I’ll probably do what I can, but no major metalworking is in the plan.

Or are you referring to “rounding off” the end piece? That’s probably doable without too much pain.

Last edited:

Action_Jensen

Known Member
20/4/21
Reasonable aproach i think and i am alsoexited for updates.
No, i was refering to the part of the case just above the first link. It is broarder on the Oysterquarz case than on the PRX. I personally tend to not unsee these kind of things so i thought a lot about that (and it can be a real pain for the hobby when you cant get over your own perfectionist ideas).
I planned to build a Rolex 1530 at some point, which is essentially an oysterquarz case with a mechanical movement.

PRX case was also my favorurite pick, i even thought about welding the gap shut and file it to size again but the next problem would be the very specific rehaut so the whole plan went back into the drawer for me.

dpd3672

Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Reasonable aproach i think and i am alsoexited for updates.
No, i was refering to the part of the case just above the first link. It is broarder on the Oysterquarz case than on the PRX. I personally tend to not unsee these kind of things so i thought a lot about that (and it can be a real pain for the hobby when you cant get over your own perfectionist ideas).
I planned to build a Rolex 1530 at some point, which is essentially an oysterquarz case with a mechanical movement.

PRX case was also my favorurite pick, i even thought about welding the gap shut and file it to size again but the next problem would be the very specific rehaut so the whole plan went back into the drawer for me.
Yeah, I'm not sure I fully appreciate what this project might entail. My original thought is "Oysterquartz was a 36mm case, the PRX looks like an Oysterquartz, and comes in a 36mm case, so if the dial fits, that's all I will have to swap."

I'm sure there will be all kinds of unanticipated obstacles, but I'm hoping it comes together without too much pain. A dial swap (and possibly trimming the diameter of the dial to be smaller) and a DWO will get my closer than any rep I've ever seen of this model, case shaping could get closer, and depending how that goes, maybe some more in depth case modifications.

The biggest obstacles I currently see are fitting a Rolex crown to the case (although using it as a push/pull might be enough, it just won't be water resistant at all), and finding a way to make the bracelet say "Rolex" instead of "Tissot." I don't think there are any out of the box solutions for the clasp, although grinding down the Tissot branding and soldering on a Rolex crown might work.

Reactions: Action_Jensen

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Yeah, I'm not sure I fully appreciate what this project might entail. My original thought is "Oysterquartz was a 36mm case, the PRX looks like an Oysterquartz, and comes in a 36mm case, so if the dial fits, that's all I will have to swap."

I'm sure there will be all kinds of unanticipated obstacles, but I'm hoping it comes together without too much pain. A dial swap (and possibly trimming the diameter of the dial to be smaller) and a DWO will get my closer than any rep I've ever seen of this model, case shaping could get closer, and depending how that goes, maybe some more in depth case modifications.

The biggest obstacles I currently see are fitting a Rolex crown to the case (although using it as a push/pull might be enough, it just won't be water resistant at all), and finding a way to make the bracelet say "Rolex" instead of "Tissot." I don't think there are any out of the box solutions for the clasp, although grinding down the Tissot branding and soldering on a Rolex crown might work.

The probability that you come across a @Geonor or @Action_Jensen guy while you are wearing this is asymptotically zero

😂

You will be fine

dpd3672

Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
The probability that you come across a @Geonor or @Action_Jensen guy while you are wearing this is asymptotically zero

😂

You will be fine
I've been in and out of watch collecting for about 30 years now, and I've never seen an Oysterquartz in real life...just a few, here and there, on Ebay and Chrono24. Not too worried about getting called out on this one.

And if I were to run into one of those guys, I'm sure the conversation would drift to "how the hell did you make that all work?"

Geonor

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
20/5/22
Norway
I've been toying with the Oysterquartz idea myself for a while. Been keeping an eye out for usable non branded cases on Ali but most of them are 40mm-41mm. Your best bet is probably a rep PRX and go from there.

Reactions: Karbon74

dpd3672

Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
I've been toying with the Oysterquartz idea myself for a while. Been keeping an eye out for usable non branded cases on Ali but most of them are 40mm-41mm. Your best bet is probably a rep PRX and go from there.
Yes, that's what I'm working with. I bought a rep PRX case for ~$30 and then stumbled across a gen Tissot watch from the '70s or early '80s that was cheap enough to gamble on and looked pretty close in style. The last picture I linked is the gen Tissot case. It's a little farther from the gen, appearance-wise, but has an honest patina from the same era, and the date window looks to be closer to the Rolex location, so it might wind up being what I use.