• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 1016: The Under Appreciated Thread

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA

I don’t have a 1016 for you today, but I share what came out of my bench today.

Merging the techniques I learned here and my creative work on the MoonSwatches
Wow, I think I might try to do this next. I've got a pre-Moon Moon watch with a 321 movement, but always wanted to add an early one to the stable.

Reactions: Karbon74

1016 lover

4/10/22

I don’t have a 1016 for you today, but I share what came out of my bench today.

Merging the techniques I learned here and my creative work on the MoonSwatc

So nice 😀
Wath case did you use for this one, dial work very nice, did you do a thread for this one?

Reactions: Erect

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
So nice 😀
Wath case did you use for this one, dial work very nice, did you do a thread for this one?
I will 😅
Once I debug it. i am having issues as when the crown is screwed, the seconds hand stops. The dial is too small for the case and it moves around 🤨

The case is a Pagani 1766. A Speedmaster 1957 homage.

1016_idiot_savant

Supporter
Certified
3/2/23
Denmark
I'm constantly surprised, after almost five years of wearing a vintage Explorer rep in one form or another 99% of the time, that I am still completely infatuated by the looks and practicality of these references. They are truly design icons!

Another surprising thing is that I continue to be interested in studying other vintage watches; I just no longer desire to own them.

Action_Jensen

Known Member
20/4/21
Got my AliX -Case Today. As @1016 lover already mentioned in another post the caseback is actually nice and the crown tube thread is M3 fine so takes Athaya crowns and stems no problem and there is no need for drilling and tapping.

For me, unfortunately, that is were the good things end. The distance of the lugholes is the same as on a Raffles case (so same "net lug-to-lug") but the lugs "look" slightly shorter and give the case a slightly chubby profile. I think it results from the slightly outward angled brushed top surface of the lugs (think jmb case), that in combination with angled lug tips would probably lead to a slightly shorter overall length and a lot of casework to get as close as possible to a 1016 profile.

The case is really OK in every other way but i dont know if t is what i need to get as cloose as possible to my dream lugs... maybe i have to go Viet after all or ill try with another raffles case... i also dont know if i should try with this or just order a new raffles one.. little bummed out :/

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Got my AliX -Case Today. As @1016 lover already mentioned in another post the caseback is actually nice and the crown tube thread is M3 fine so takes Athaya crowns and stems no problem and there is no need for drilling and tapping.

For me, unfortunately, that is were the good things end. The distance of the lugholes is the same as on a Raffles case (so same "net lug-to-lug") but the lugs "look" slightly shorter and give the case a slightly chubby profile. I think it results from the slightly outward angled brushed top surface of the lugs (think jmb case), that in combination with angled lug tips would probably lead to a slightly shorter overall length and a lot of casework to get as close as possible to a 1016 profile.

The case is really OK in every other way but i dont know if t is what i need to get as cloose as possible to my dream lugs... maybe i have to go Viet after all or ill try with another raffles case... i also dont know if i should try with this or just order a new raffles one.. little bummed out :/

You will need to find a gen OP case I think
Maybe you can convince @dpd3672 to sell you one from his hoarding

• Haha
Reactions: dpd3672

dpd3672

Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
You will need to find a gen OP case I think
Maybe you can convince @dpd3672 to sell you one from his hoarding
I’ve got a lot of 34mm Gen cases, a few 36mm cases for some datejust and 1016 builds, and I’m swimming in ladies cases, but no OP case…unless you mean 1500 cases.

Did they make an Op 36mm?

dpd3672

Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Already thought about a 5500 Build so that i can use a gen case :D
They're super fun, and the Raffles 5500 dial isn't half bad, other than it's for a 36mm case. A little careful sanding, however, and it will fit.

Reactions: 369mafia