• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sunnydales AR coating round coming, gathering participants

sunnydale

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/8/09
Good job Sunny!

Thanks!

So after a long bath in Armour Etch, it is a no go for Taka-AR. It seems nothing is happening. I will try to polish it off, still waiting for some compounds to arrive.

For others, it seems to be a hit (2 other tested and I see no marks of AR any more).

I will check it with my 3777 and SOH crystals this weekend.

Anyway, need to make sure with the coater and on the other hand, polishing is my no 1 method. This is just a cool addition if works as it helps a lot in my work.

fixen

Renowned Member
3/4/11
Well it works on plastic lenses since it does not harm plastic. I am sure it will not harm sapphire as well :)

I tested with my 3 crystals, one was completely cleaned with just one round, the other one needed 2 but now it is completely clean (it had 2 coating layers) and third is having a long bath since the first round did nothing.

So it seem to be dependent on the AR.

As AR is applied to sapphire other way than to plastic (high heat for example), I was not sure if it works. But the results are promising.

If this works, I need to make sure that the possible residue of the liquid will not harm the recoating process. I think it is only a matter of washing them thoroughly.

Cool, sounds great :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sunnydale

29/8/09
SO: Now the coater has informed that the coating round is ok for all of the crystals but they might need to do modding of some holders.

The price got up for about 20-30 % from the previous round...I am still doing this. But I really need every participant to send their crystals or otherwise this will be too high loss for me financially. It is anyway since the amount of crystals is small.

I will post instructions this weekend for sending of the crystals, you can start preparing them for sending.

Also, the coater said I can use glass etch for taking the AR off. I will try it this weekend with my 3777 and SOH crystals and upload some pics. I will also test other compounds (polishing compounds).

Stay tuned!

SSTEEL

Banned
Banned
30/1/13
SO: Now the coater has informed that the coating round is ok for all of the crystals but they might need to do modding of some holders.

The price got up for about 20-30 % from the previous round...I am still doing this. But I really need every participant to send their crystals or otherwise this will be too high loss for me financially. It is anyway since the amount of crystals is small.

I will post instructions this weekend for sending of the crystals, you can start preparing them for sending.

Also, the coater said I can use glass etch for taking the AR off. I will try it this weekend with my 3777 and SOH crystals and upload some pics. I will also test other compounds (polishing compounds).

Stay tuned!

Ok Ale, I'm still in. I have mine, and a friends (in the list) Carrera crystal ready to send, just waiting for the PM when you are ready :)

Fraggle42

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/12/12
Thanks SSTEEL, I have my other one ready and waiting to be packed and shipped :)

DRBAFC

Renowned Member
23/3/12
Do you need to receive all the crystals by a certain time?

How long do you expect the process to take? Days? Weeks? Months?

Also PM us how you want these crystals to be declared.

Thanks

sunnydale

29/8/09
Do you need to receive all the crystals by a certain time?

How long do you expect the process to take? Days? Weeks? Months?

Also PM us how you want these crystals to be declared.

Thanks

Yes I need the crystals in certain time, because they are going to same coating furnace at the sime time :) Should not take more than 3 weeks to receive all or I have to leave the rest out of the run. I will inform about this.

The coater needs 3-4 weeks (holiday season is coming) so total time taken up to 2 months to get your crystal back after sending.

sunnydale

29/8/09
SOH and 3777 AR coating strip off results with Armour Etch:

2 mins per crystal, and no signs of the old AR!

(Only drawback is that now I only have one watch to wear :( )

DRBAFC

Renowned Member
23/3/12
Thanks!

So after a long bath in Armour Etch, it is a no go for Taka-AR. It seems nothing is happening. I will try to polish it off, still waiting for some compounds to arrive.

For others, it seems to be a hit (2 other tested and I see no marks of AR any more).

I will check it with my 3777 and SOH crystals this weekend.

Anyway, need to make sure with the coater and on the other hand, polishing is my no 1 method. This is just a cool addition if works as it helps a lot in my work.

This must be some serious AR if you want to strip off a Taka AR