• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Social status and purchase Replica

Man-At-Arms

The German
Supporter
Patron
Certified
7/11/21
Germany
I cant speak for all but I had a W223 S Class from 2020 and it was the Most bullshit car Ive ever had. Sold it after 2 months. Everything was Plastic, electronic, touchscreens and Even the semi anilin leather felt like plastic. It was soooooo Bad Built quality all over and this was an s Class! My 190E Has better Materials Inside. Maybe a W212 Has still mercedes genes but the newest Generation hasnt. Iam a big Mercedes Fan and im member in 7 official Mercedes Clubs, take part of Retro Classics and other car Events every year and my whole Family is Mercedes infected - i know what im Talking about :) but ofc like all in the world even this is a matter of Taste and different ppl have a different understanding of quality.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Itto and Dave2302

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
If you say so who am I with 46 years in the Motor trade to argue, trained apprenticeship with MB main dealer then 2 indie garage businesses of my own ;)

Now, sensibly, what I will comment is that in these latest few years and regarding latest models, I would agree with you, they (and many other mainstream manufacturers) are building to throw away, not to last and uphold a reputation.

My W220 S55 AMG is for example a generation behind the W212 and yes it is a better build quality, but it's electronics and some of the mechanical aspects are not as good as the W212. The W221 was IMO the best S Class ever.

Reactions: Man-At-Arms

Man-At-Arms

The German
Supporter
Patron
Certified
7/11/21
Germany
I dont want to Battle With you here - you have your experiences and Opinion, i have mine. Im 40+ aswell and i Collect Mercedes (got 12 total). Also One newer One (my wife and my 4 Kids GLS, works Fine, its fast, its Strong, it Has alot of space, but its built quality is like a skoda) - and i grew up as a son of a Service Chief of a big Mercedes Benz Dealer in germany. I switched my First Engine and transmission when i was 8 With my dad, W123 to M119. Just to Tell that i have a Little technical background aswell :) and i buy and Trade older Mercedes and Porsche for 20 years.

I also had two W221 - Not my World in Point of material quality inside. Out of this Epoch the VW Phaeton was worlds ahead in interior quality for example. But as i said - it all depends on your own Taste. You have yours i have mine, and Thats Fine :) otherwise we would all Battle for the same wife and would all wear Richard Mille watches 😜

PS: the 55 AMG is a masterpiece! Undestroyable aswell 👌🏻

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Dave2302

sorginator

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/12/23
Genuinely I am only interested in watches based on two things. The first was brought up here often, and that is the look of them. I'm not a big RM fan, so the only concern I would have about pulling it off is pulling it off of my wrist. But the second thing that hasn't really been mentioned here is the accuracy of the rep. It's not necessarily that I like the appearance of Rolex watches, but I really appreciate how much time, effort, and money went into making them the most accurate reps possible. I also like the idea of paying 3% of the price of gen for 99.9% of the watch. I know many people here will claim that there are differences and I fully believe them... I just don't can't see them.

The other thing too is that no matter how much money I make in life, I don't see myself spending more than like $1000 on a watch, especially one made of stainless steel. The fact that people are spending like $50k on a steel Daytona absolutely baffles me. I'd rather invest it and put that towards my future, whatever that holds. Besides, anybody with some money in their bank can drop a few grand on a watch, but the fun in this hobby comes from reading all the information on the models I'm interested in, and nerding out about all the small details.

Just appreciate the things you can afford. People use that argument to try and say that reps are bad, and while I see the logic in it, the value for money of reps is just so much better than anything you'll ever find in the gen market. The only thing is that this hobby requires time, and technical skill that only comes with time. Coming into this knowing nothing about watches, learning about the mechanics of it was really interesting. This is proving to be helpful because it means when things go wrong with a watch - which they will - I can try to fix it myself instead of just pitching it and buying a new one. The whole reason for hobbies is to distract ourselves from the misery of life, and just based on the sheer amount of time this hobby can absorb, it serves its function perfectly.

Basically, just buy and wear what you like. Most importantly though don't be doing it out of insecurity or trying to keep up with the joneses. There's always going to be someone with more money and hence, a better watch than you. Just appreciate this hobby for what it is and stop worrying about what everyone else thinks of you.

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
@sorginator . . . excellent post. At age 67 now, I luckily was able to achieve some things in life, got lucky more than once, and I now can afford the finer things in life. But I don't want to pay for them.

Without revealing too much of my identity (some people know who I am), I've owned some very desirable classics throughout the years, some of which are now worth outright silly money. Yet my daily is now an older low mileage Buick that gives me Mercedes ride quality at a discount, and totally low key.

I've owned GEN Cartier, GEN Rolex, Heuer (without the TAG), a super cool Navitimer Cosmonaute, but I am reluctant to spend thousands of dollars on a watch, when I can get the same vibe from a replica costing a tiny fraction. I have affordable GENs, two exquisite G-Shocks, a Seiko Flightmaster, and some others, but I would not today spend $5K on a Franken or $10K plus on a GEN watch.

If my net worth was $10M+, I would probably splurge, and if it was $100M, I'd buy a couple of new luxury watches, because at that point money becomes irrelevant. Until then, it's all value for money.

VisaSF

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/3/24
I started buying replicas only recently because of how close they’re getting to gens. I would not be afraid to wear them out and about.

• Love

Series3

Horology Curious
16/3/24
I stumbled upon this after looking into buying a Gen watch, was about to buy a Oyster Perp. Years ago I purchased a gen Tag and wore it daily. Wiped out on my bicycle and the watch was damaged. I think wearing what you would comfortably wear as a Gen is a smart call. The reps just allow you to have more variety of you could/would only buy one Gen.

Series3

Horology Curious
16/3/24
I'm new to this rep world, but I also find the challenge in the process of rep'ing fascinating. In the car world, its like a Porsche 550 Spyder rep. $4M car you can buy a rep for $50k. You can try to make it as close to the orig or embrace the rep and customize as you like.

asusundevils1971

Your Parents Warned You To Stay Away From Me.
Supporter
23/2/23
Canada
@Empereur is that a pic of you just before stealing the car?.

There are a few rules for stealing a car.
1. make sure you do it late at night and not on a sunny day.
2. wear dark clothes.
3. at least try to hide your face and don't post a pic on the internet stealing it.
4. don't wear the wife's skinny jeans in case you have to run from the police.
5. and most important, don't get caught because the boys in jail won't care about your watch collection or how to maintain their arm hair.

Haven't seen you around here for awhile, hope you and the family are doing well.

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
This discussion holds great fascination, particularly in the light-hearted banter directed at @Empereur's unique choice of sweater hues.

Yet, let's not overlook the glaring randomness and utter unfairness within our government. For example: Last year, I sought to legally change my name to "Hugh Janus" — only to have my modest request denied for reasons unknown to me. I'm genuinely frustrated by this denial.

The denial of such a modest entreaty baffles the mind, an indignation, really, that knows no bounds. 😕😒

asusundevils1971

Supporter
23/2/23
Canada
This discussion holds great fascination, particularly in the light-hearted banter directed at @Empereur's unique choice of sweater hues.
@eBoy I found a wedding picture of Empereur, the wife, maid of honor and best man (think that might be Karbon74).

I don't know why the German government wouldn't allow you to change your name to Hugh Janus, maybe you should see if they will let you change it to Mike Hunt.

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
Man, wyfey looks pretty gorgeous.
Deal, and i take the sweater and @Karbon74 too 🙌🏼

get away from me please. 😳

episode 11 restraining order GIF

asusundevils1971

Supporter
23/2/23
Canada
get away from me please. 😳
Why can't the two of you just get a long and then you are adding a restraining order. It's just going to tear apart the family and it will end up having awkward family gatherings.

Think the two of you should see a family counselor and get everything off your chests. I hear though the grapevine that there is some good ones over on Reddit.

@Karbon74 @Empereur I beg both of you to heed my advice.