• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Silky Smooth Rolex Bracelet Pictorial: Spa Treatment

tchockie

Renowned Member
2/5/14
grab your Vaseline and a disposable glove (this sounds like it is heading in the wrong direction, but bear with me!)

HAHAHA I LOLed outloud at work just now and everyone is looking at me funny

:rofl:

GrapeJam

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/14
Very nice tutorial! You hear about this often but there has never been an actual step by step posted before (to my knowledge). Great job! Rep points coming your way!

Great timing! I looked for something like this just yesterday, and your step-by-step is a really good illustration as to what is involved.
Bit reluctant to walk into my local pharmacy to buy baby oil, Vaseline and rubber gloves though... :)

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it! That's exactly why I decided to post it, couldn't find any detailed step-by-steps with pics so I was worried I was going to accidentally lube up too much or too little!

I applaud your effort, but have you ever tried rock n roll or white lightning dry lube? I give you bonus points for the vaseline dunked finger pic, but I am the original lube master! P4GTR's Bracelet Rattle Fix :p4gtr:

I'm actually out of the country at the moment, I came across your fix and was going to try it but I simply couldn't get the RnR White Lightning where I am at the moment. I'll absolutely give it a shot once I am back state-side and will let you know how it goes. But i'm glad you enjoyed the finger pic! As I was taking the photo it crossed my mind how awkward it looked - I was pretty concerned someone was going to walk in the door to be honest :D

I personally ain't keen on the whole oil bath and Vaseline treatment particularly on hollow link bracelets (eg 93250). The lube just attracts dust, dirt etc. that will turn into grinding paste over time....causing bracelet stretching etc.

I suggest replacing the baby oil and vasiline with hair shampoo.

1. Wash bracelet with soapy water to remove factory grease.
2. Soak bracelet in ordinary shampoo (with conditioner).
3. Work bracelet (wriggle it around in the shampoo) for 10-15mins. Bend/extend each link multiple times to break in the bracelet.
4. rinse well

Hair shampoo contains silicones that lube the bracelet without attracting dust, grime etc.

its also easy to wash out (unlike oil)

I might give that a try - I've finally gotten around to WPfing my watch so it's shower-safe now. I haven't had any issues with the vaseline/oils attracting dirt but I wiped it off pretty well and mine's go the solid links, I can absolutely see how it could be an issue on the hollow-link bracelets though.

HAHAHA I LOLed outloud at work just now and everyone is looking at me funny

:rofl:

I'm glad somebody noticed it! LOL

It seems like everyone has their own little fix - I might add a section at the end of the post with mentions of alternative solutions for the noobs to use as a reference! It really helps to have this kind of stuff up on the forums, so thanks a lot for the suggestions guys!

tom_cat

I'm Pretty Popular
4/7/13
Great post Grape, I tried bicycle chain dry lube before a few times and as far as my experience go it doesnt attract any dust or built up grime. But never try with baby oil bath. Might give it a go next time.

jpohl402

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/7/12
I applaud your effort, but have you ever tried rock n roll or white lightning dry lube? I give you bonus points for the vaseline dunked finger pic, but I am the original lube master! P4GTR's Bracelet Rattle Fix :p4gtr:

+ 1 Rock n roll oil for me everytime.

Bicycle chain lube is designed not to attract dirt. I liked the tutorial a lot. I'm going to stick to a lighter weight lube. I'm thinking CLP from the gun shop.

Gentleman, I'm no expert - but I've read from SEVERAL sources that that stuff is TERRIBLE on your skin & can potentially cause irritation, etc.
I don't know that I'd want a bracelet coated in/soaked with chain lube on my wrist/arm everyday.... :no:

egroegart

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/7/13
yes, not really good to use any chemicals. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. they loosen up on their own and with soap and water.

ABfarm

27/5/15
Did any of you guys ever try 1 of these methods on gold plated bracelet? I just got an AP with rose gold bracelet, and the bracelet feels kind of rough to touch. Read somewhere about how thin the gold coating on rep, so I'm a bit worried the color might come off during the spa treatment.
Any suggestion?

Lou88

Renowned Member
20/4/14
Did any of you guys ever try 1 of these methods on gold plated bracelet? I just got an AP with rose gold bracelet, and the bracelet feels kind of rough to touch. Read somewhere about how thin the gold coating on rep, so I'm a bit worried the color might come off during the spa treatment.
Any suggestion?

Dont think vaseline would do anything to your bracelet. If u are worried, try a small inconspicuous spot first and see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
Forget all the oils and chemicals mentioned !! Your bracelet is like that because of all the grit and dirt from the polishing guy leaning that rouge in the spinning cotton wheel onto your links !! Get the polishing rouge out ! Out !! Out ! It is in there, along with fine metal particles from the production process !! The devil hides in those crevices !! Get a big soup bowl dish. Pour a half cup of dishwashing liquid. Blue, green yellow....whatever. Now add warm or hot water to the mix. Swish around your bracelet in it. Drown the damn bracelet !! Swiss it some more !! Now leave it there for an hour or two. Or have a drink, go to sleep. Leave it alone !! Upon coming back to it, swish it around some more. Now, do you see that black stuff that turned your soapy water dark grey, its the dirty rouge !! A mouse or cockroach did not die in it overnight !! No, it was that scum hiding inside the crevices !! Now remove it from the filthy dirty bowl, and rinse it well inside a clean bowl. warm water. swish it some more. Drown it again. Be evil !! And rinse for the third time. ........Now dry it with a nice white clean cotton face towel. The kind you steal from an overnight stay at a hotel in Las Vegas ! ......There, now it is clean ! And looser !! And better !! No lubes, no buying shameful Vaseline or lubes from your drugstore !!......Give it a shot !!

Reactions: ProperGains

gbxx

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/14
I have an old espresso machine we no longer use. I use the steam wand on the bracelet every once in a while...

It works great on watch bracelets and the wife's jewelry.. Get some oven cleaning gloves so you don't burn yourself... avoid shooting steam on the watch head itself.

GrapeJam

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/14
Forget all the oils and chemicals mentioned !! Your bracelet is like that because of all the grit and dirt from the polishing guy leaning that rouge in the spinning cotton wheel onto your links !! Get the polishing rouge out ! Out !! Out ! It is in there, along with fine metal particles from the production process !! The devil hides in those crevices !! Get a big soup bowl dish. Pour a half cup of dishwashing liquid. Blue, green yellow....whatever. Now add warm or hot water to the mix. Swish around your bracelet in it. Drown the damn bracelet !! Swiss it some more !! Now leave it there for an hour or two. Or have a drink, go to sleep. Leave it alone !! Upon coming back to it, swish it around some more. Now, do you see that black stuff that turned your soapy water dark grey, its the dirty rouge !! A mouse or cockroach did not die in it overnight !! No, it was that scum hiding inside the crevices !! Now remove it from the filthy dirty bowl, and rinse it well inside a clean bowl. warm water. swish it some more. Drown it again. Be evil !! And rinse for the third time. ........Now dry it with a nice white clean cotton face towel. The kind you steal from an overnight stay at a hotel in Las Vegas ! ......There, now it is clean ! And looser !! And better !! No lubes, no buying shameful Vaseline or lubes from your drugstore !!......Give it a shot !!

I got fed up with the vaseline/baby oil treatments. I've resorted to a weekly shampoo/conditioner bath, the process is the same as you mentioned above. Works great and the bracelet smells awesome for a week :D

I have an old espresso machine we no longer use. I use the steam wand on the bracelet every once in a while...

It works great on watch bracelets and the wife's jewelry.. Get some oven cleaning gloves so you don't burn yourself... avoid shooting steam on the watch head itself.

That is very interesting, I might give it a try when nobody is around the house, I'd get some questionable looks I would imagine

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
Grapejam : ["I'd get some questionable looks I would imagine" ] ............Well actually, you would get a whole lot more 'questionable looks' if you got into that "Vaseline, baby oil, and rubber gloves" thingy !! .........................and please don't ask me why I know !! .......................Lol !!

GrapeJam

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/14
Grapejam : ["I'd get some questionable looks I would imagine" ] ............Well actually, you would get a whole lot more 'questionable looks' if you got into that "Vaseline, baby oil, and rubber gloves" thingy !! .........................and please don't ask me why I know !! .......................Lol !!

Too true! [emoji23][emoji23]

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Unfortunately, using grease, oils, and vaseline will turn your bracelet into a "dust and dirt magnet"..

Copadelrey

Known Member
22/1/15
first of...great post by OP!

but, be wary of the time you soak your bracelets in soapy water or water based lubes.... your bracelet may actually rust.... indeed, it is stainless steel, but with prolonged contact, it may rust. In fact, my glidelock "click" is in fact a little rusty now. Gonna need to WD40 that sucka....

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
I got fed up with the vaseline/baby oil treatments. I've resorted to a weekly shampoo/conditioner bath, the process is the same as you mentioned above. Works great and the bracelet smells awesome for a week

+1 exactly.

Not sure why one would cover their bracelet in Vaseline/oils etc. will attract dust, dirt and grime ...... which will lead to bracelet stretch.

Just weekly shampoo/conditioner and it'll "break in" nicely.

Shampoo contain silicones which which remove factory dirt and lubricate bracket nicely.

Thomas_G.

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
18/11/12
The treatment with baby oil or vaseline is purely a bad idea. It really attracts dirt and particles, and who would put a bracelet covered in butter on his wrist? No one, I guess. And anyone who ever smelled old and rotten baby oil might understand.
The problem of the noisy and non-gen-feel like bracelets is manufacturing dirt and residue between the links. And this can't be lubricated - it will only cover the symptom, but won't cure the source of all evil. And: WD40 or baby oil does loosen the screws. It is very penetrating, and who wants to loose the whole watch?

My way of treating: Ultrasound bath, with good cleaner, and minimum for 5 minutes in there. Even new watch bracelets leave a dirty soup in the cleaning machine. Such cleaners are available for small money, and really work fine. Afterwards tighten all screws!
The feeling is completely gen like. No noise, just smooth.

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
Just ultrasonic cleaner with warm water doesn't do enough for me. How about soaking with Baby oil in the ultrasonic for 5 mins followed by liberal Vaseline application to all the rattley bits?

watchgurupz

30/7/13
Going to give the shampoo/conditioner treatment a try once I get home [emoji7][emoji7]