• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Silky Smooth Rolex Bracelet Pictorial: Spa Treatment

Psambrose

17/7/15
I have a special marinade I use. Olive oil, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, tabasco, and a dash of salt & pepper. Works great and makes the watch smell yummy!

Reactions: Watchmewear

ItalianSub

26/11/14
I have to agree with those who say oiling the entire bracelet is a bad idea. Those hollow links will most certainly ooze oil for months....no matter if you wash afterwards with dawn. To compare to gen -- Rolex doesn't lubricate their bracelets. Part of the precision of the $1000 bracelet is the fact that all of the surfaces are smooth and precisely fit together to give a smooth feeling. That can't be replicated just with lubricant. Additionally, lubricant picks up dust and dirt and turns it into grinding paste that after a year or so results in a lot of "stretch". I think the best method is a hybrid of what is mentioned here and in responses.

first, use an ultrasonic cleaner --- make sure to utilize a cleaning agent! Use the ultrasonic for several cycles....I try to make sure that 45 minutes or so of run time has been used. Also -- take the bracelet apart. All screws should be taken out of links and cleaned. To prevent scratches during cleaning from the vibrating action, space out the parts or do them in batches. One last tip is to use hot water in the cleaner.

second, rinse the bracelet parts with water and dry off with a microfiber cloth. You can also use a hairdryer if you think there is water inside the chain links. You're going to these lengths so do a thorough job drying. This is stain"less" meaning it will still rust if given the right conditions, just less than other steels.

Then, loctite the ends of each screw and let dry. Don't get extra locktite on the barrel of the screws otherwise you've just replaced all the stuff you cleaned off with a new bit of grime.

then, identify any links or parts that are still stiff. Only those parts should be treated with the smallest amount of DRY CHAIN LUBE. Ex: WHITE LIGHTENING. it's true this stuff is toxic but it's a necessary for true Gen like feeling because even after ultrasonic cleaning, we can't expect every bracelet part to be manufactured to the exacting specs of gen Rolex and then hand polished and inspected under microscope. There will inevitably be some tight spots. When using the dry chain lube, use a needle to drop on an even smaller amount then a full drop. Once it sits for a few minutes in the joint, work the tight part around and then rub off the exposed joint with a cloth with alcohol on it. Then use a damp cloth and the microfiber to polish.

nice thing about the dry lube is it doesn't pickup the grit...and will last for about six months in something like a watch bracelet that isn't exposed to the elements that bike chain would be.

all of this should be followed up with genlike maintenance. Rolex advises owners to wash the watch off with dawn everyday when washing hands. Just wash it and rinse like you're washing hands. Will keep your piece beautiful for years.

hope this helps adds to the debate! It's just my 2cents but a tried and true method.

Reactions: dk2852

JT888

17/6/15
Canada
Rolex advises owners to wash the watch off with dawn everyday when washing hands. Just wash it and rinse like you're washing hands. Will keep your piece beautiful for years.

Is this okay to do with a rolex rep?

Champagne iH

4/1/14
Very nice thread. My Noob 114060 bracelet was pretty stiff upon receipt of the watch Monday. I have worked it and worn it and all is gradually getting better. I have a combo ultrasonic with a steamer at the bottom. I think it going in. Of course I agree at removing screws even though a PITA.

I've seen many nasty watches come into my buddy's shop. It's amazing people with gen Quartz and automatics that allow skin cells to coat everything inside and between each link. Just nasty.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

ql224

10/2/16
Just wanted to add to the thread, I just performed this treatment on 2 TC bracelets. There is a definite improvement feel and reducing of click clacking. More importantly, the vaseline creates a satin sheen that greatly improves the overall look. I'm not sure if its more "gen" but definitely looks higher quality and prettier!!

FullSizeRender_zps39thexdu.jpg
FullSizeRender%252012_zps2ddqe0ox.jpg
FullSizeRender%252013_zpsz3ttlex9.jpg

zaaw

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/5/15
This is posted in Rolex section - can this method also be used on the JF AP ROO?

Bozrep

Known Member
2/7/15
It's nice to see that some will cuddle there Subs like baby's with babyoil etc. I give mine the treatment it's been designed for :laugh:
3 times a week for an hour and half in the local swimmingpool. Ok, it gets a little rinse with water under the shower afterwards.
My Sub is clean, nice and shiny. I must say, the quality of the Noob V5.1 is outstanding if you see what I paid for it.
I guess the babyoil treatment wouldn't last long in my case.

Bozrep

Known Member
2/7/15
The only real treatment imo is to get the movement serviced. When you leave your watch on while being in the shower it should be nice and clean to begin the day.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met RWI

Hillstar

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/2/21
Thanks for this post. New to the rep and on my fourth watch. Got a GMF rootbeer and probably the worst bracelet I’ve ever gotten. I was planning on just throwing it on a rubber B anyways but the bracelet was a huge disappointment. Especially the clasp. I’ll give it a bath and see what happens, thanks again.

Matt_283

Horology Curious
30/6/23
Germany
Hello everybody,
I tried this yesterday and followed the whole procedure with baby oil and Vaseline. The result is the bracelet is unbelievable smooth and comfortable. BUT to clean and remove all the Vaseline is really horrible. You need a lot of patience to do that.

Best regards

Reactions: Hasselbaink