• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Commando 6429 - The rarest of the rare. Raffles products review

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
can you confirm on one of your gen case sets ? or do you think they were enlarged specifically for this reference?
I don't have a gen 6429, but this is a photo and a link to a couple gens...those look like bigger holes for 2mm bars.

All of my gen 34mm cases seem to have 2mm holes, although I haven't measured them. I can do it when I get home, but my assumption is that Rolex Factory wouldn't have 2 different sizes of holes and spring bars.

It kind of makes logical sense that at least the sport/tool models would have more robust spring bars. Not sure if the dress versions would need the extra strength, but those (to my knowledge) also use 2mm bars. You're more likely to lose a watch permanently climbing Mt. Everest or diving a shipwreck than you are if a springbar fails a a cocktail party, lol.

Women's models, in a time when "equality" didn't mean the same thing as today, might have used more delicate bars, I truly have no idea there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 369mafia

freebalkany

24/8/21
I don't have a gen 6429, but this is a photo and a link to a couple gens...those look like bigger holes for 2mm bars.

All of my gen 34mm cases seem to have 2mm holes, although I haven't measured them. I can do it when I get home, but my assumption is that Rolex Factory wouldn't have 2 different sizes of holes and spring bars.

It kind of makes logical sense that at least the sport/tool models would have more robust spring bars. Not sure if the dress versions would need the extra strength, but those (to my knowledge) also use 2mm bars. You're more likely to lose a watch permanently climbing Mt. Everest or diving a shipwreck than you are if a springbar fails a a cocktail party, lol.

Women's models, in a time when "equality" didn't mean the same thing as today, might have used more delicate bars, I truly have no idea there.
Thanks, I believe it is safe to assume that commando used 2.0mm lug hole.

I also found a gen 6426 mid-case for sale on eBay. The price is a bit too steep for me. But this raises the question of whether the ETA 2801 and the Rolex 1220 have the same stem height?

dpd3672

Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Thanks, I believe it is safe to assume that commando used 2.0mm lug hole.

I also found a gen 6426 mid-case for sale on eBay. The price is a bit too steep for me. But this raises the question of whether the ETA 2801 and the Rolex 1220 have the same stem height?
You can use a 2824 in a 34mm gen case, stem height is close enough to work, and I think all the 4 digit, 34mm Rolex cases are essentially the same, with minor differences in case back, bezel, and crystal (and the model number between the lugs, of course).

I don't think all of the 28XX have the same stem height (I think the 2836 is different, for one), but I think the 2801 is a modified 2824, so it should be drop in with a movement adapter ring.

I don't think the 6426 is anything special in and of itself, but I think they're expensive because people build Franken Commandos out of them. If memory serves, the 6429 was a special run of the 6426 for the Commando model, and there's some belief that some 6426 had Commando dials originally. That said, there's lots of unreliable information on models like this, which weren't terribly desirable (or even known of) until long after their production runs had ended. They're not as well documented as Submariners, Daytonas, or even Explorers.

The 5500 Explorers are similar in many respects, lots of opinions, very little reliable information, other than half remembered third party anecdotes, lol. There's also more "upgrades" that people try to pass off as original...generic 6426 with Commando dials, sold as OEM Commandos, just like there's a lot of 5500 Air Kings redialed and sold as 5500 Explorers.

It makes it a little risky to try for a correct build, but it also makes it a little easier, as there's some wiggle room in what parts to use.

I'd be cautious about paying a premium for one of those 6426 cases...they're missing a case back, and I think the Commandos, being manual wind, used a different case back than the regular 34mm automatic watches. I might be wrong here, though.

Last edited:

freebalkany

24/8/21
You can use a 2824 in a 34mm gen case, stem height is close enough to work, and I think all the 4 digit, 34mm Rolex cases are essentially the same, with minor differences in case back, bezel, and crystal (and the model number between the lugs, of course).

I don't think all of the 28XX have the same stem height (I think the 2836 is different, for one), but I think the 2801 is a modified 2824, so it should be drop in with a movement adapter ring.

I don't think the 6426 is anything special in and of itself, but I think they're expensive because people build Franken Commandos out of them. If memory serves, the 6429 was a special run of the 6426 for the Commando model, and there's some belief that some 6426 had Commando dials originally. That said, there's lots of unreliable information on models like this, which weren't terribly desirable (or even known of) until long after their production runs had ended. They're not as well documented as Submariners, Daytonas, or even Explorers.

The 5500 Explorers are similar in many respects, lots of opinions, very little reliable information, other than half remembered third party anecdotes, lol. There's also more "upgrades" that people try to pass off as original...generic 6426 with Commando dials, sold as OEM Commandos, just like there's a lot of 5500 Air Kings redialed and sold as 5500 Explorers.

It makes it a little risky to try for a correct build, but it also makes it a little easier, as there's some wiggle room in what parts to use.

I'd be cautious about paying a premium for one of those 6426 cases...they're missing a case back, and I think the Commandos, being manual wind, used a different case back than the regular 34mm automatic watches. I might be wrong here, though.
I'm actually quite positive, the ETA 2801 & 2824 have the same stem height.

As for the case, I will just go on with my build based on the raffles case. And if ever an affordable gen 6426 case show up, I'll transfer the parts in it.

freebalkany

24/8/21
I'm doing a bit of research on the spring bars and I don't think the commando uses 2mm spring bars.
As far as I can see the 2mm were only used on 20mm "tool watches". I cannot find any 19mm 2.0mm spring bars online.

Here is the side profile of a gen commando found online:

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
I'm doing a bit of research on the spring bars and I don't think the commando uses 2mm spring bars.
As far as I can see the 2mm were only used on 20mm "tool watches". I cannot find any 19mm 2.0mm spring bars online.

Here is the side profile of a gen commando found online:

I concur I dont think a 2mm bar with 1.3 ends were used on gen 34mm cases

Reactions: freebalkany

freebalkany

24/8/21
Today, I received the case, dial and hands from raffles.
Within 20min, I managed to ruin a dial (you can see the big scratch at 7) and break a crystal. But well, that's life.
The next step will be drill & tap the case to accept the correct tube and crown. I've never done this before, I hope it will work.

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Today, I received the case, dial and hands from raffles.
Within 20min, I managed to ruin a dial (you can see the big scratch at 7) and break a crystal. But well, that's life.
The next step will be drill & tap the case to accept the correct tube and crown. I've never done this before, I hope it will work.

The scratch on the dial will hardly be visible thru the crystal , however I cant help you with the crystal lol need to enlarge the ID of the bezel if you are using the stock one. not alot , but more .

a 6mm raffles crown fits the case I assume you are upgrading to gen or athena ?

freebalkany

24/8/21
Ah no worries for the crystal, I'll order another one.
The crown I have is from aliX and is gen spec.
The problem with a manual watch is that I need a crown with a "clutch", otherwise I won't be able to screw it down once the watch is fully wound.

freebalkany

24/8/21
Hello there,
So I finally completed my commando project. That was a fairly cheap project, but very involved in term of work that has been done.

Movement
I used an Eterna 12801, that I had to service as well as fitting a new mainspring (for some reason it had the wrong mainspring). The hacking lever has been removed to mimic the gen Rolex caliber. The only issue is that the movement is a high beat instead of a low beat, but I can live with that.

Bezel
It is supposed to be gen (I paid 25€) for it. I had to dremel it a bit, otherwise it would be too tight around the crystal

Crystal
Standard tropic 12, not much else to say

Case + Crown
A first for me, in order to be able to screw down the crown when the movement is fully wound, I had to install a new crown & tube. The crown I chose is from aliX, originally for a 16014. I drilled the case and tapped a new M3 thread to fit the larger crown tube. Everything went well and I'm quite happy with the result

Dial + Hands
Those are the standard ones. I somehow managed to make a big scratch on the dial. That's life.

Bracelet
No bracelet this time, I went for the simple nato one. Might change later for something else. I'm not sure yet.

Thanks for reading

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
@freebalkany Nicely done man..looks great and fits you well. Bummer about the dial but nice work on the crown .

yes def a gen bezel as the raffles is taller with steeper pitch .

freebalkany

24/8/21
I just saw someone selling a NOS no-name vintage rivet bracelet with a 19mm.
I'm tempted to get it for my build.

What do you guys think?

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Ah well, there is only one as far as I can see. Which is why I didn't share the link. But if I decide to not buy it, I'll send you the link. Sorry, for the slightly weird approach
no problem I dont need one I was just curious if there was a source for 19mm rivet it looks good

dpd3672

Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Anyone know a way to use the NH38 in a 34mm case? It's too big with the plastic movement spacer attached, but a bit too lose with it removed. I was going to 3D print one, but before I get started, wanted to know if there was another solution.

Mine's almost done, the dial came out great. Then hands that Raffles shipped me had a defect seconds hand (it's way too short, looks like it was manufactured from the end of the run or something), but it's sitting in a gen case for a 1500, which has a nice amount of patina. I used a Clark's T12 or T13 crystal with beveled edges, but planning on getting a domed one from Sternkruz eventually.