• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pepsi bezel insert battle CF vs Xing_Patrick: A photo comparison

Neon

23/10/12
🇺🇸
Also, is getting the bezel to click on 12, is it about aligning the insert into the bezel or the bezel onto the case/ring?

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
I removed the bezel and got the old insert out.

Do I put bezel back on THEN the insert so I make sure I get it aligned? Or insert first.

And should I be cleaning off the old adhesive that was holding the old insert? Yes right? Soap and water ok?
Yes, clean bezel of any old adhesive residue. And yes, place insert LAST to ensure alignment.

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
Also, is getting the bezel to click on 12, is it about aligning the insert into the bezel or the bezel onto the case/ring?
Can’t help that much because the bezel has to be aligned with the three prongs in the clickspring.

Neon

23/10/12
🇺🇸
Pushing the bezel back on but feel like I’m missing something. It’s not like clicking into place and staying on. Other than the 3 dots onto the click spring, what am I doing? Pressure?
Yes, clean bezel of any old adhesive residue. And yes, place insert LAST to ensure alignment.

domiffm

handsome
Gold Patron
Certified
28/4/15
Germany
I never remove the bezel when I change the insert on a GMT. Things can often go wrong, especially if you have little experience with bezel construction. If you're unlucky, you'll destroy the hytrel ring and you won't be able to install the bezel properly back on the watch. It also takes longer.

I do it like this: Heat the bezel slightly with a hair dryer (not too long, and don't heat the whole watch for obvious reasons) to soften up the glue under the insert. Then slowly and carefully slide a thin, flexible piece of plastic between the crystal and the insert under the insert and go all around. The insert will come off. Then simply glue in the new insert.

Last edited:
Reactions: KushBandit

Neon

23/10/12
🇺🇸
What can I do to apply pressure without a press? Can’t seem to get bezel back on

domiffm

handsome
Gold Patron
Certified
28/4/15
Germany
What can I do to apply pressure without a press? Can’t seem to get bezel back on
Hand pressure is enough to get the bezel back on. Check if the spring is seated correctly and the hytrel ring is still intact. It’s a delicate piece and can be bent or squeezed quite easily.

Reactions: KushBandit

Neon

23/10/12
🇺🇸
You have to fit plastic ring inside metal bezel ring before getting on watch
You mean the gasket? Not sure I get where it goes. I tried putting bezel on without it in case it was in the wrong spot but couldn’t get it on without the gasket either.

Explorrertime

Getting To Know The Place
11/3/22
NL
So I've just received this for AliExpress....

Let me know you thoughts I know what mine are ...

The number are silver not the same as v4 that i received

But tbh I think they are better. There is no visible bump at all by eye an I can see it with camera either. The numerals are smaller by the looks of it too . My other is being plated again as that wasn't great tbh

It all red under UV light too.
Looks ok to me! I've order one, thank you for the link. Curious how's it going to look in person on the wrist😬

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Definitely press the bezel back on the case without the insert....then carefully align/stick the insert into the bezel. It's much easier to get proper alignment this way IMO.

Reactions: leo6929 and KJ2020

Neon

23/10/12
🇺🇸
Definitely press the bezel back on the case without the insert....then carefully align/stick the insert into the bezel. It's much easier to get proper alignment this way IMO.
That worked nicely for me. More centered now than it came from factory.

Only issue I have is pretty sure insert actually sat flush in bezel without adhesive. Used a 3m tape ring, which seems so thin, but installed with that it’s like a hair above the bezel in some spots.

Maybe glue is better since insert so thick?

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
That worked nicely for me. More centered now than it came from factory.

Only issue I have is pretty sure insert actually sat flush in bezel without adhesive. Used a 3m tape ring, which seems so thin, but installed with that it’s like a hair above the bezel in some spots.

Maybe glue is better since insert so thick?
xing are too thick. i hope they address that. Sitting flush or above the bezel ring isn’t very desirable IMO. It’s possible to thin them on a diamond sharpening plate but it’s tricky and time consuming. I think @KJ2020 uses a thin smear of slow cure epoxy which I plan to use when I get around to installing mine (which I have thinned). These inserts have desirable color but in some areas still fall a bit short compared to Clean.

Reactions: KJ2020

Neon

23/10/12
🇺🇸
xing are too thick. i hope they address that. Sitting flush or above the bezel ring isn’t very desirable IMO. It’s possible to thin them on a diamond sharpening plate but it’s tricky and time consuming. I think @KJ2020 uses a thin smear of slow cure epoxy which I plan to use when I get around to installing mine (which I have thinned). These inserts have desirable color but in some areas still fall a bit short compared to Clean.
I’ll give more of a review after I’ve worn Xing on the wrist for a while, but I agree with your assessment so far. Red color is an upgrade vs Clean, but at the cost of some other attributes being worse than CF. I’ll guess it’s an upgrade overall, but a very slight one. Don’t think it’s worth the cost (and effort). But since it’s an upgrade, people will pay, no matter how slight and how overpriced.

Reactions: KJ2020

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
It’s minimal effort and people will notice color before they do thickness….

Reactions: leo6929

Neon

23/10/12
🇺🇸
It’s minimal effort and people will notice color before they do thickness….
Ordering, waiting, getting old insert out, cleaning, gluing in, not that fun. Bezel removal and reattachment minimal now that I’ve done it. Wouldn’t mind owning a few more bezels now with other inserts (even fantasy color ones) so I could quickly change the look of my watch.

Reactions: leo6929