• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega x Swatch Moonwatch upgrades - Tutorial

smelber

Horology Curious
4/8/23
London
I've not removed hands before, or a movement, thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
As for the main plate, the nubs circled in red are the ones that hold it secure. When removing it you have to carefully pry it up in those locations. They work like snap fasteners. When placing it back, be careful to get all the pins for the sub dial into their holes before you start applying pressure.

HKGF9j.jpeg
Yes. Be sure to watch the subdial pin and it's wheel at 11- I have had it not wanting to seat c properly again after having it pop off with the plate.

Good thing these movements are only about 8 dollars...

smelber

Horology Curious
4/8/23
London
Thanks for your continued help, a lot of wheels popped off when i prised the cover off - which ones do I need to put back on?? :)
Also where have all my sub-dial hands gone lol?

Geonor

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
20/5/22
Norway
Thanks for your continued help, a lot of wheels popped off when i prised the cover off - which ones do I need to put back on?? :)
You need to be controlled and careful when taking the plate off, that's why they jumped.

This is how it should look like before you put the cover back on

Hh5FnF.jpeg

Just use that as a reference.

You should have taken off all the 6 hands, including the sub dial hands before you removed the dial. They probably flew off when you took off the dial and are scattered on your floor somewhere.

Geonor

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
20/5/22
Norway
You need to be controlled and careful when taking the plate off, that's why they jumped.

Hh5FnF.jpeg

You should have taken off all the 6 hands, including the sub dial hands before you removed the dial. They probably flew off when you took off the dial and are scattered on your floor somewhere.

Reactions: smelber

smelber

Horology Curious
4/8/23
London

Hh5FnF.jpeg

Thanks, removed the big hand but forgot about the sub dials lol, they did indeed fly off, and remarkably I found them all :) this is fiddly lol

Geonor

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
20/5/22
Norway
And remember you don't have to be super accurate with the Chrono seconds and minute hand. You can adjust those with the movement later by pulling the crown and using the pushers to adjust.

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
And remember you don't have to be super accurate with the Chrono seconds and minute hand. You can adjust those with the movement later by pulling the crown and using the pushers to adjust.
thank you. I learned something today. Does this apply to most chrono movements (inc mechanical) or just this one?

Geonor

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
20/5/22
Norway
thank you. I learned something today. Does this apply to most chrono movements (inc mechanical) or just this one?
It applies to a lot of quartz chronographs. Notably not applying to the Seiko ones like VK63/64 etc.

Reactions: Karbon74

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
This one for sure. With the crown in the winding position you can step the Chrono hand with the top button and the 11 o'clock subhand with the bottom button.

Makes this mod a lot easier

Reactions: Snooky and Karbon74