• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega Railmaster CK2914 ~ Research Thread

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I will replace the movement with a Nh38
btw. does someone know if the Ali NH are real Seiko or clones?

Because if they are not I will buy a real one from Cousins

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada

I would bet they are clones based on the price

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA

I got some NH38 with my last order (going to experiment with them over my "go to" 2824s). Not sure how to tell if they're really Seiko, but can look when I get home.

Reactions: Karbon74

dpd3672

Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Since we're talking about NH38 movements...do they drop right into a Raffles or gen case, or is there a spacer required? I picked up 5 or so to experiment with, but was planning on using them in Raffles and gen 34 and 36mm cases, but didn't want to mess with removing stems more than I had to to test fit them...the 2824 keyless has me firmly in the "don't remove the stem unless you absolutely have to" mindset, lol.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Since we're talking about NH38 movements...do they drop right into a Raffles or gen case, or is there a spacer required? I picked up 5 or so to experiment with, but was planning on using them in Raffles and gen 34 and 36mm cases, but didn't want to mess with removing stems more than I had to to test fit them...the 2824 keyless has me firmly in the "don't remove the stem unless you absolutely have to" mindset, lol.

Raffles says drop in
Gen, no clue

automatico

Getting To Know The Place
5/10/11
We used to have 30 or 40 active wristwatch/pocket watch traders within a 40 mile radius of where I live, and I remember one fellow who had an original Omega Railmaster on a strap for sale or trade about 20 years ago. He wanted $350 for it iirc but no one wanted it.

Why not?
1...It did not qualify for Railroad Service on any Class 1 railroad in the USA. It was basically an Omega no date automatic with a magnetic shield in the back and a (most likely) iron dial. I am also a RR watch guy but it did not appeal to me because it was not RR Approved.
2... In order to be used in RR service the dial had to be white with black Arabic numbers and letters, no markers. The H and M hands had to be black and the SS hand could be black or red. Luminous dots by the numbers were Ok as were lume slots in the H&M hands. Mechanical wristwatches must have the 'stop second' feature (hack).
3...The watch has to keep time plus or minus 15 seconds per day and can be manual wind or automatic. The Omega could pass this Ok.
It was basically an 'Omega Milgauss', not really a RR watch.
Dressy Seamasters, Moonies, and Constellations were good for sales/trades back then but the Railmaster did not move.
Dumb azz that I am, I passed it by.

Btw...there is also a line of watches available that look like 'Official RR watches' but they are not. They are called 'Transportation Watches' and many truck drivers etc. still wear them today because it is easy to read the time on them. Sharp, Timex and a few other brands made them. You can find the Sharp RR look-alikes on eBay, sometimes claiming to be 'RR Approved'.

eBay item number: 404729588889

What happened to the Railmaster?
The guy's niece stole it along with about 30 other watches and the Police recovered most of them, but he did not mention the Railmaster. I have not seen him in 4 or 5 years, but he still sells/trades knives and watches about 40 miles from here at an abandoned RR depot/trading post.

Time Rocks On and now almost all RR approved watches are quartz, mostly Seiko.
If any mechanical watches are still allowed by a RR company in the USA, they will be listed in their timetables and/or rule books.

Btw...one of the first RR Approved mechanical wristwatches was the manual wind Elgin BW Raymond RR watch with the USA made cal 730A movement. They were not known to be very reliable in rough service though.
Later BWR Elgin RR wristwatches came out with the Swiss Made A. Schild 1604 movement. I still have one nos in the original walnut presentation box from times past along with a nos Elgin BWR pocket watch in a stainless steel case.

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
We used to have 30 or 40 active wristwatch/pocket watch traders within a 40 mile radius of where I live, and I remember one fellow who had an original Omega Railmaster on a strap for sale or trade about 20 years ago. He wanted $350 for it iirc but no one wanted it.

Why not?
1...It did not qualify for Railroad Service on any Class 1 railroad in the USA. It was basically an Omega no date automatic with a magnetic shield in the back and a (most likely) iron dial. I am also a RR watch guy but it did not appeal to me because it was not RR Approved.
2... In order to be used in RR service the dial had to be white with black Arabic numbers and letters, no markers. The H and M hands had to be black and the SS hand could be black or red. Luminous dots by the numbers were Ok as were lume slots in the H&M hands. Mechanical wristwatches must have the 'stop second' feature (hack).
3...The watch has to keep time plus or minus 15 seconds per day and can be manual wind or automatic. The Omega could pass this Ok.
It was basically an 'Omega Milgauss', not really a RR watch.
Dressy Seamasters, Moonies, and Constellations were good for sales/trades back then but the Railmaster did not move.
Dumb azz that I am, I passed it by.

Btw...there is also a line of watches available that look like 'Official RR watches' but they are not. They are called 'Transportation Watches' and many truck drivers etc. still wear them today because it is easy to read the time on them. Sharp, Timex and a few other brands made them. You can find the Sharp RR look-alikes on eBay, sometimes claiming to be 'RR Approved'.

eBay item number: 404729588889

What happened to the Railmaster?
The guy's niece stole it along with about 30 other watches and the Police recovered most of them, but he did not mention the Railmaster. I have not seen him in 4 or 5 years, but he still sells/trades knives and watches about 40 miles from here at an abandoned RR depot/trading post.

Time Rocks On and now almost all RR approved watches are quartz, mostly Seiko.
If any mechanical watches are still allowed by a RR company in the USA, they will be listed in their timetables and/or rule books.

Btw...one of the first RR Approved mechanical wristwatches was the manual wind Elgin BW Raymond RR watch with the USA made cal 730A movement. They were not known to be very reliable in rough service though.
Later BWR Elgin RR wristwatches came out with the Swiss Made A. Schild 1604 movement. I still have one nos in the original walnut presentation box from times past along with a nos Elgin BWR pocket watch in a stainless steel case.

Intresting story. Thanks for sharing.
Ive heard that about the spec required for RR use and was surprised the black dial railmaster did not qualify
was that just in the states do you know or was it globally?

I came across this model a while back and it looks like it would be closer to qualifying I dont know much about this model other than its far more rare than the black dail we all know and love.

1-vwcweb-omega-rare-railmaster-official-white-lacquered-dial-as-railroad-vintage-watches-and-cars.jpg

I seen this white dialed option a while back and it appears to be closer to meeting the specs .

automatico

Getting To Know The Place
5/10/11
Interesting story. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you!

I've heard that about the spec required for RR use and was surprised the black dial railmaster did not qualify, was that just in the states do you know or was it globally?

I do not know for sure. It all started with pocket watches and the white dial/black Arabics and hands rule was so the time would show up in dim light. My guess is white dial/black hand RR watches were basically universal.
Note: There were also many pocket watches produced with RR grade movements and fancy dials...Roman numerals etc. They were RR Grade but were not generally accepted for RR service.

I came across this model a while back and it looks like it would be closer to qualifying. I don't know much about this model other than it's far more rare than the black dial we all know and love.

That watch has the standard RR dial and would be RR Approved if the RR company accepted them. The dial is the same basic design as was used on BW Raymond, Ball Trainmaster, 214/218 Accutron etc. RR Approved wristwatches.

I have a nos tutone 1960s/1970s manual wind Wyler RR watch with a 'RR Standard' dial and it was accepted by many USA RR companies but not all because it is up to each RR Co what will pass. They all require the white dial/black Arabics and H & M hands though.
Wyler mechanical watches were very rugged compared to the average mechanical watch because of their 'Incaflex' balance assembly.

Here is a stainless watch like mine:

Incaflex:

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region

some nice shots of a target gen watch.
A bit too battered for my taste, especially the lugs that lost all shape...but it does give a sense of what I can get away with

-caseback has no engraving. need to find a caseback with the notches. the SM case is Rolex style...FFS San Martin, stop doing those cost cutting short cuts
-The white seconds hand I don't like, but there are other models with a silver hand. anyway with some tarnish, that should be ok
-crown should be replaceable with a Seamaster. I need to decide if I do 6.5 or 7.0 as I cannot find 6.8mm on AliX
-need to drill the tube hole as it is screw-in according to San Martin, their cost cutting tactics again

The make or break of the build will be the size of the BIvintage dial and if I can fit the armoured acrylic glass without it covering the lume plots
The glasses seem easy enough to source at Cousins

Looks achievable...

Last edited:
Reactions: pullthat92

dpd3672

Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Had a few minutes so roughed up a dial. It’s a long way from the target, but it’s good to see what needs to be done. Also didn’t have any 31mm blank dials, so printed it on a 38mm Panerai dial blank I had.

Just a decal in brass, no lume and no clear coat, but it’s not a bad first effort. The Railmaster script looks good, but the Omega script needs some tightening up. I think I'll try printing over a dial that's painted white next, that should look more like the gen.

Last edited: