• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega Moonswatch reps - review of the cheap as chips new versions

cyprusdaedalus

Wannabe Watchmaker
Certified
16/4/22
Some of the models are closer than others. For example the Uranus and Jupiter (possibly some other models) have an iridecent quality to the dial (where the gen is flat). The subdials on all the reps have a circular engraving (where the gen is flat).

The mission to Moon/Mercury seem to be the most "gen" looking as the dials are the most similar and the engraving on the subdials is only noticeable in certain angles due to the black dial. I would say go for the Mercury (having had both versions in rep and having a Gen Mercury for comparison). The mission to Moon case color just looks like cheap plastic (and is cheap plastic) whereas the darker case on the Mercury just looks a bit more high end and isn't immediately associated with cheap plastic.

Obviously the other giveaway on all the reps is that the 3-oclock subdial is a running hour and doesn't stay fixed at 12pm position (unless chrono is running). You can (and people on RWI have) removed the dial and gear from that subdial and glued it in a fixed position but not something i'm overly concerned with.

The reps feel like they cost $26 bucks. The gens feel like they cost 66 bucks. Enjoy!

Gen on Left / DHGate on Right:

Gen:

Rep:

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
@Cheesegrater The gen I've handled last week felt cheap and hollow too. You can't feel any weight at all. You can't tell it's "bioceramic", it feels exactly like plastic. The "crystal" has an ability to scratch itself just by existing. I think it can be fataly scratched by a feather. The strap is god awful too. So I'm guessing reps can't feel much shittier...
Yah, sounds exactly like the rep.
I still can’t believe people were buying garbage for $300 and they basically formed a mob early in the morning at the swatch store on release day.

People have such a Walmart mentality.

You know what… I’m gonna get a frikkin feather and try to brush the crystal. There’s a farm here with peacocks… I’m gonna steal one.

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
Some of the models are closer than others. For example the Uranus and Jupiter (possibly some other models) have an iridecent quality to the dial (where the gen is flat). The subdials on all the reps have a circular engraving (where the gen is flat).

The mission to Moon/Mercury seem to be the most "gen" looking as the dials are the most similar and the engraving on the subdials is only noticeable in certain angles due to the black dial. I would say go for the Mercury (having had both versions in rep and having a Gen Mercury for comparison). The mission to Moon case color just looks like cheap plastic (and is cheap plastic) whereas the darker case on the Mercury just looks a bit more high end and isn't immediately associated with cheap plastic.

Obviously the other giveaway on all the reps is that the 3-oclock subdial is a running hour and doesn't stay fixed at 12pm position (unless chrono is running). You can (and people on RWI have) removed the dial and gear from that subdial and glued it in a fixed position but not something i'm overly concerned with.

The reps feel like they cost $26 bucks. The gens feel like they cost 66 bucks. Enjoy!

Gen on Left / DHGate on Right:

Gen:

Rep:
The rep feels $5 the gen probably $20

Therion666

Respected Member
Supporter
Certified
26/12/13
Yah, sounds exactly like the rep.
I still can’t believe people were buying garbage for $300 and they basically formed a mob early in the morning at the swatch store on release day.

People have such a Walmart mentality.

You know what… I’m gonna get a frikkin feather and try to brush the crystal. There’s a farm here with peacocks… I’m gonna steal one.
Peacock feathers are considered to be weapons of mass destruction by Swatch boutique standards.

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas

Three vendors- three variations.

The left one is one of the ones with the glass crystal and an obviously painted metal watch case. The other two are the lightweight plastic more like gen cases

Reactions: rockdaytona

funkeymonkey

Known Member
Certified
12/2/23
Austria
A quick update - my son is so enthused about the "Omega" as he calles it, that I asked him about his favourite color. He chose the Mission to Mars and I ordered it from another vendor on DH.
- To see how much the quality varies between vendors.
- Because watch77 sent directly from CN which gave me troubles with customs.

Reactions: Phattbam

rockdaytona

Respected Member
Supporter
Certified
17/12/19
Parts Unknown

Three vendors- three variations.

The left one is one of the ones with the glass crystal and an obviously painted metal watch case. The other two are the lightweight plastic more like gen cases
Middle most gen-like? Is there any consistency when you order from same store?

Therion666

Respected Member
Supporter
Certified
26/12/13
I really wonder if these Gate versions vary a lot in quality and appearance. Or are these different vendors all selling the same crap.. I decided to give Mercury a go. I might even get the gen. No idea where to get one though, no Swatch stores anywhere even remotely near.

Damn you all enablers to hell... :D

Reactions: restandrelaxation

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
I bought one 25 years ago...so just 9 more to go :D
Maybe they will institute a Certified Pre-owned program for the Moonswatch... You know, for the little people...
Oh god the preowned program from Rolex........... the scammy scummy ADs are now going to behave like Ferarri.
They'll fucking lie to you and tell you that corporate wants you to buy a pre owned at premium first before you're allowed to buy new.

Therion666

Respected Member
Supporter
Certified
26/12/13
I watched a cooking show on a German network yesterday and a star chef wore the Mercury. It looked pretty darn good on his wrist, I mean the color combo. I wonder if it was a Gate shitter..? It's interesting, because the guy always wore Pateks and similar watches. In the last season one of the chefs wore a Neptune all the time. That shit looked like something a 5 year old would wear.

Therion666

Respected Member
Supporter
Certified
26/12/13
I gave myself a couple of pimp slaps, came to reason and decided not to enjoy another masochistic experience of getting a shitter in gen. Sometimes one needs a good pimp slap. I'll give the Gate version a go.

Reactions: restandrelaxation