• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob Explorer II 42 White - Best Rollie Rep So Far?

theskull

Renowned Member
6/8/13
It is a great rep! My wife however called me out on it. She said it didn't have that gen like feel.

The biggest tell on the white dial exp II, is the dial!! i went to an AD and the gen was on display, seller was talking to a customer, so i took my rep of my pocket and checked, same light and angle... and the color of the dial on the rep wasn't white enough, don't know the word in english can't explain... Also, the lume on mine is not perfectly applied so it was really visible next to the gen.

until yesterday i though that the more accurate was the white dial, but now i think it's better to buy the black dial, and do a mod to mat the dial, not too much because in the AD the gen dial was mat, but not on all angle maybe tricky to rep the dial effect...

captaincaveman

17/2/12
The biggest tell is the ichs which is no easy fix and is easily visible in macros but certainly not on the wrist. I feel against the black dial this is harder to detect. Aesthetically I prefer the white however.

barth

Put Some Respect On My Name
5/10/12
Very nice review. Thank you !

Sent from my iPhone 4S ?

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
The biggest tell on the white dial exp II, is the dial!! i went to an AD and the gen was on display, seller was talking to a customer, so i took my rep of my pocket and checked, same light and angle... and the color of the dial on the rep wasn't white enough, don't know the word in english can't explain... Also, the lume on mine is not perfectly applied so it was really visible next to the gen.

until yesterday i though that the more accurate was the white dial, but now i think it's better to buy the black dial, and do a mod to mat the dial, not too much because in the AD the gen dial was mat, but not on all angle maybe tricky to rep the dial effect...

The dial looks pretty white to me. AD lighting can be deceptive - quite balsy to do a side-by-side in the shop. Angus' original comparison pics made the dial whiteness look spot on - Ill try and find the original release pics...

rek0001

1/1/13
I have the cheapie which I got from Joshua, not sure which factory?

Anyway, this is the watch I pull form my box most often this summer, looks really good against a tan.

I will be popping for the super-duper silky gen feel rep - I think it's worth to have this, as an example of what the factories can do if the planets are all aligned right.

Someday this won't be available anymore. like the closed factory Seamaster.

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
On the basis that many of the esteemed members of TRF were bamboozled by the fat hour hand of a deeply-flawed early model Noob Sub C ND, I doubt someone is going to call out my Noob Exp II in the coffee shop for being the wrong kind of white or having an ICHS.

That may be the longest sentence I have ever written...

live1

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
25/3/13
ichs whats that,do you mean hand stack?

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
On the basis that many of the esteemed members of TRF were bamboozled by the fat hour hand of a deeply-flawed early model Noob Sub C ND, I doubt someone is going to call out my Noob Exp II in the coffee shop for being the wrong kind of white or having an ICHS.

That may be the longest sentence I have ever written...

Yeah I remember this instance who was that member of the forums who braved to post a BP ND Sub-C?? lol maybe he got banned? Who called him out? Rep forum member too? Lol

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

theskull

Renowned Member
6/8/13
The dial looks pretty white to me. AD lighting can be deceptive - quite balsy to do a side-by-side in the shop. Angus' original comparison pics made the dial whiteness look spot on - Ill try and find the original release pics...

Yes you are right, but if you remember coorectly, the side by side was with the prototype, then before release, angus explained that they had to change dial don't remember exactly why, but there was somes differences between prototype and final product. Now in the AD, both rep and gen were in the same light 100% and i am the first suprised that the color wasn't the same.. i really believed that it was perfect!!

Anyhow, the white exp II is still great, and i love it, i m even thinking about selling mineto buy a new one, because mine has somes signs of wear..

theskull

Renowned Member
6/8/13
Yeah I remember this instance who was that member of the forums who braved to post a BP ND Sub-C?? lol maybe he got banned? Who called him out? Rep forum member too? Lol

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Yep, noone will call you out, that's sure, all i am saying is that the color difference was pretty flagrant in the AD, while i was thinking they were exactly the same...

This is for sure the best rolex out of the box right now.. the sub c is good, but there is still some work to do!! for a first try, clearly the noob did a amazing job on the exp II!!!

I think averyone should have one

startingshott

Horology Curious
2/7/13
No, but I currently own some Gen Rolexes which she has gotten familiar with.

I had left my ExpII on the dresser (for her to find) and she didn't realize it was a Rolex until I told her. She had thought and I quote, "A $200 watch from a department store. Looks nice though".

After I pointed out it was a Rolex she said that this couldn't be real.

She now wants to head to our AD to get a look at the gen (and make sure I didn't buy another Rolex under the guise of a rep).

By chance she works at an AD or Rolex?

Sent from 1:1 app made with genuine tapatalk as sample.

ddc

Renowned Member
20/6/11
The only issue with the black dial is that it has a glossy dial instead of matte

Not according to sead's latest version with updated dial.(I know it's not sead's version but you know what I mean..)

kadakn01

Known Member
28/6/09
having traded my gen DSSD which I bought a few years back (too heavy and thick for my wrist) I traded it for a gen black Explorer II 42mm about 2 weeks ago (and got some cash back!), and I love it but really want the white to go along with it. After reading this thread I am ordering the Noob explorer II in white from ryan today! This watch looks amazing. I cant believe I actually considered buying the gen white dial! I agree that this one is a keeper, which is why when they come up for sale they go real quick.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
It is a great rep! My wife however called me out on it. She said it didn't have that gen like feel.

Unfortunately/fortunately, with this one, she got the 'gen like feel' feeling very wrong, this one does have the gen like feel in abundance.

Also for anyone interested, Nakortheblue did a another polar vs gen photo comparo over on WC, yep I know WC! but it is worth a look for anyone still on the fence vs gen.
http://www.wrist-check.com/showthread.php?34684-Rolex-Explorer-216570-White-Dial-Comparison-%28Gen-vs-Rep%29

P4 summed it up nicely above with everyone has slept through a really good release!

theskull

Renowned Member
6/8/13
Unfortunately/fortunately, with this one, she got the 'gen like feel' feeling very wrong, this one does have the gen like feel in abundance.

Also for anyone interested, Nakortheblue did a another polar vs gen photo comparo over on WC, yep I know WC! but it is worth a look for anyone still on the fence vs gen.
http://www.wrist-check.com/showthread.php?34684-Rolex-Explorer-216570-White-Dial-Comparison-%28Gen-vs-Rep%29

Nice review!! Thanks for the link man!

Seems like i was right about the dial differences between rep and gen...

I saw that something wasn't the same in the AD.
Here what he thinks about the dial in the comparaison:

Positives – dial text and indices are almost identical, black index surrounds are very close
Negatives – dial is crisp white, whereas gen is sailcloth-colored, text is more bold whereas gen is less bold

Anyway, just looking at his pics... the noob is just really good nothing else to say!
Rep left, Gen right:
photo3_zpsb87227f8.jpg

Thanks to nakortheblue for the original pic!!

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
I'm more concerned about the reliability of the a2836 GMT movement.
Someone convince me that its good enough so I can go buy one please :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk