• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob Explorer II 42 White - Best Rollie Rep So Far?

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
Given my striking resemblance to Prince Harry, I thought it was only appropriate that I should follow in his footsteps and bag myself one of the new Noob 42mm Polar Explorers that everyone kept raving about a few months ago. I'm pretty sure Harry's is a rep too as I doubt even he would take a £4.5K onto the battlefield! :rofl:

Following on from Kenny's excellent video review of the first release of this rep, I thought I'd post up a few pics. Mine came from Sora who has become my TD of choice over the past few months. Unfortunately, the first watch that he sent to me was DOA so I had to brave the Chinese post and return it to him to replace. Predictably the return package went astray somewhere between Gangzhou and Grimsby so he very kindly sent me out a replacement. Here are my first impressions.

Case - 8/10

Very high quality construction and level of replication - only the slightly bolder bezel markings give the game away, but you have to look very hard. To my eyes the CGs and crown look pretty damn close to gen.

The rehaut engraving is the best I've seen on a Rollie rep and as far as I understand each case has individual serials (but I may be wrong here). Wow.

Crystal - 8/10

Good height and clarity, and my cyclops was level and well-centred; but the poor AR-coating on the cyclops lets the side down a bit. Not a biggy.

Dial & Hands - 9/10

Very close indeed. Possibly a slightly different shade of orange (really?) but who cares. All the necessary boxes are ticked (why do the Noob boys keep getting the Sub hour hand wrong?!). I was lucky with mine - the lume application is okay (better than my BP ND Sub C) - only the 12 triangle is slightly patchy.

Bracelet - 9/10

Best quality bracelet I've had the pleasure of finding on a rep. All the screws are smooth and well-machined and as an added bonus the SELs fit like old gloves.

So what about the clasp I hear you say? Okay mine doesn't close flush, but it bothers me less than I though it would and there is a simple fix to make it perfect (if I can be bothered).

If it wasn't for the clasp this would be a 10/10 bracelet.

Lume - 9/10

Need I say more?

Not quite up there with my gen PO 2500, but pretty close (and most importantly very close to gen).

Overall - 9/10

My Exp II 42 is running on an Asian clone 2836 and is running at a steady +8s / day; not too shabby at all. Overall I'd say it is the best out-of-the-box Rollie rep I have had the pleasure of owning and, along with my BP SD and PT 1680, should be a 'keeper' for the watch box.

Aside from the clasp fix, iffy cyclops AR and erratic lume application QC, I'd say this is damn close to perfection. All this for $230? My God we are spoilt with the quality of reps these days. There's a lot of talk about 'feel' when it comes to discerning the difference in quality between a rep and gen; I defy anyone to take a blindfold test with this puppy as it feels bloody well made to me ;-)

I have a 7.5" wrist by the way. To give it some scale, here it is next to my vintage Speedy Pro...

And to finish here I am modelling it in my work clobber. Thanks for reading... :thumbsup:

captaincaveman

17/2/12
Great review. Definitely on my short list along with the P 111.

Any issues with the GMT hand?

AllergyDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
3/5/07
Arg! I've been struggling between this watch and the Noob 390, had just decided on the 390. Now this.

Luthier

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/9/09
Triangle is misaligned, and marker @6 even worse.
Rest is edible.

Tonyy

Renowned Member
3/7/13
Very nice review. I received my Exp II black dial this week and was very impressed too.

This kind of makes me want a polar as well.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Rest is edible.

Both are fine. Quit your rabble rousing Luth. I'm just going to start deleting your posts soon.

For what it's worth this one of the best modern rollie reps that we have.

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
Rest is edible.

Your left eye is 2mm smaller than your right and your nose is 5 degrees off axis. Basically you're ugly. Now, back to my beautiful Rolex...

sharrkey

Legendary Member
Advisor
14/6/08
I've thought several times about buying the white dial, seen the gen Ad and was impressed with the size:thumbsup: beautiful rep thanks for sharing:woot:

Beone21

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
10/12/10
I had and sold my exp II black dial. Actually want it back now. Also because its more unchallenged than a sub. now I am not in the game to pass a rep as a gen, but Exp just gets less eyebrows I reckon.

Is there a newer version than the release there was couple months back?

Oh and nice post btw

thedoover

Snow Monkey Ambassador
Supporter
Certified
15/6/10
I think this is my most worn rep. I love it. I dont have the pics to prove it right now, but the only issue I have with mine is that the 24 hour bezel, which doesnt move of course, is not quite perfectly lined up. Sometimes when I look at it, that bothers me. Normally, nothing does with this one.

Great review.

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
I had and sold my exp II black dial. Actually want it back now. Also because its more unchallenged than a sub. now I am not in the game to pass a rep as a gen, but Exp just gets less eyebrows I reckon.

Is there a newer version than the release there was couple months back?

Oh and nice post btw

Agreed. The Exp II slips under the radar better than a Sub and the white dial makes a nice change. I doubt anyone would be able to call it out on the wrist.

I read that they'd improved the lume application for the latest batch...

Capt. Obvious

Put Some Respect On My Name
5/5/13
Can't wait for mine, can't wait for mine...

Sent from my KW359 using my ASSO strap

KCAWSEY

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/6/13
Black exp2

Had my black dial for 1 week and is getting a lot of wrist time! Bought because of the good reviews but once I had it loving it more, lume is excellent and fits under the radar :) Would recommend black or white to anyone:thumbsup:

Rovin

Renowned Member
27/6/10
Just ordered mine from Ryan, looking forward to it landing!