• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

NEW! 1675 GMT case set offering from Raffles.

DeLoMan

3/2/19
I think the tube could potentially be gen spec. From Raffles website the 5.3mm crown is listed as the following:

The correct thread size is 2.5x0.25 so I hope it fits, but I have to check.
The tube in the Raffles 1675 case is 2.8 mm though, not 2.5mm like his others. I measured it when I had it out.

Megahz1

Vintage lover
6/5/18
EU
The tube in the Raffles 1675 case is 2.8 mm though, not 2.5mm like his others. I measured it when I had it out.
Oh ok thanks for the info. Then I hope it will fit the crown, otherwise we might actually have an issue.

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
I received mine yesterday and started working on it today. The midcase is really promising. Lots of work to do. Everything else can go straight to the bin:) The Athaya tube definitely is way too small for the thread in the raffles case. I might use the raffles tube with the Athaya crown. Another issue is that a Clark’s crystal is too big and sits loose on the rehaut… with the Clark’s bezel assembly it stays. But i am not sure if it will be water tight.

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
Oh and the cyclops of the raffles case is located somewhere in another universe:) not where it is supposed to be for gen spec dials. So another crystal is definitely needed.

DeLoMan

3/2/19
I received mine yesterday and started working on it today. The midcase is really promising. Lots of work to do. Everything else can go straight to the bin:) The Athaya tube definitely is way too small for the thread in the raffles case. I might use the raffles tube with the Athaya crown. Another issue is that a Clark’s crystal is too big and sits loose on the rehaut… with the Clark’s bezel assembly it stays. But i am not sure if it will be water tight.
I wrapped a piece of tape around the rehaut, trimmed it, then put the Clark Crystal on. Nice and tight then. Then I pressed the ring on.

WatchN3RD

I supported. Doesn't make me an expert!
Gold Patron
24/7/18
I felt that there was still a bit too much meat on the CGs and I busted out my files and sandpaper again tonight. Here’s as good as it is going to get! Calling it done.

HSP4dY.jpeg
The watch looks great, but I think you can improve the angle of where the crown guards meet the top of the case. From what I've seen, a genuine has 3 angles, where 2 roughly follow the angle of the lug and only the middle is straight across. It could just be reflections I'm seeing, but your angle looks more like a PCG or eagle beak found on a Submariner case with it going straight across. Maybe this will better explain what I'm trying to ask and/or explain.

Reactions: 1016 lover

DeLoMan

3/2/19
The watch looks great, but I think you can improve the angle of where the crown guards meet the top of the case. From what I've seen, a genuine has 3 angles, where 2 roughly follow the angle of the lug and only the middle is straight across. It could just be reflections I'm seeing, but your angle looks more like a PCG or eagle beak found on a Submariner case with it going straight across. Maybe this will better explain what I'm trying to ask and/or explain.
Always nice to have a second set of eyes! Shouldn’t take long at all once I strip it down again and bust out the files. Thanks for the observation!

WatchN3RD

I supported. Doesn't make me an expert!
Gold Patron
24/7/18
Always nice to have a second set of eyes! Shouldn’t take long at all once I strip it down again and bust out the files. Thanks for the observation!
If your watch didn't look so great, I probably wouldn't have mentioned it. Can't believe it's a Raffles! But here are some reference drawings I found in case you might find them helpful.

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
So here is my effort so far after two days of work.
Not finished yet, there is still work to do but now my arms hurt:)

I think i need to further shave off a little bit off the sides of the lugs, and also a little off the part right behind the crown.
What do you guys think? It is getting hard keeping an objective eye after two days.

My observations so far:

The Midcase is really nice and if you put in a lot of work, as far as i can tell very close to gen.
Only slight letdown is the position of the crown.
Still a little too low. That is also the reason why i was able to simply drop the entire insides from my BP Build featuring a DG 3804.
I will try and replace that with an ETA 2846 later.
I replaced the Crystal and Bezel assembly with parts from Clark. Insert is CAC.
It really is a decent effort now, eliminating almost all of the imperfections the BP Midcase had.
The Raffles Crown was replaced by an Athaya one and i used the Raffles Tube which seems to work. (no pressure test yet)
Also the gen spec Clarks crystal sits loose on the rehaut, which is an indication for me that the rehaut is a little too small in diameter in comparison to gen.
After fitting the Bezel assembly, it sits now tight enough. Even without tape. I submerged the Case in my sink and no water came in. I know that’s now a proper pressure test though and i am not sure if this can be left as is.

Along the way i stumbled upon a few questions you guys may be able to answer:

-How do i bleach the Raffles Datewheel overlay. I think it is a little too dark. I submerged it in undiluted bleach for hours and nothing happened.
-Same with the CAC insert, it did not really change except a few micro holes on the blue surface.
-Is there anywhere a good crystal that has the original chamfer on the side profile? Clarks has this „step“ that i do not particularly like.
-I went over the side of the case with the Dremel and now have sort of grooves there. Not wanting to remove any further material there, what’s the best action to remove them?

I hope some might find this helpful and thanks for everyones input.

Singapore9

Renowned Member
Patron
9/8/10
Fantastic work being done to these cases! Well done! However, I do wonder whether the hours of grinding and polishing will be worth the saving over a Milk case!

Reactions: DeLoMan

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
Depends on your budget:)
In all seriousness though, for me it is as much about the voyage as it is about the finished article. Generally, the more work i put into a watch, the more i bond with it and make it mine. So i am really loving this. Main reason also beeing that the 1675 is special too me. It was my first ever Rolex/build, the one that got me into Rolex (hated them before :) the first i started working myself on watches. And the watch i worked on and i had on my wrist in a period off time while my mom died. So I really love it and want to give it something extra.

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
Good shit. Where did u get this insert? Looking to get a fuchsia insert with the correct fonts without breaking the bank
Thanks! It is a CAC insert i am afraid. So not really a „budget“ solution but very nice in my opinion. Just needs a little further ageing for my taste.

Reactions: aphmars13