• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

NEW! 1675 GMT case set offering from Raffles.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
What about attacking the inside of the bezel, where the insert sits? Wouldn't it be possible to open up the diameter slightly?
You can indeed. It's quite tedious if you don't have a lathe. The difference between 37.4mm and 37.75mm means a 0.175mm enlargement all the way around the bezel rim. It looks like that wouldn't be possible without eating into the edge scallops. You could take  some of the inside bezel rim away but not much.

I did this by hand on a Startime bezel that was supposed to take a gen-spec insert. It didn't.

ST bezel on top of gen
zdARPi.jpg

zdAuy4.jpg

zdAsHj.jpg

zdAwrv.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks buddy. I was able to transfer my old stock style bezel assembly over from my cartel rep I made years ago. And it spins! The crown isn’t too far in after all. Will likely change the insert, but this is progress and a crisis avoided.

HS3KTn.jpeg

HS3HoE.jpeg
Great save with the bezel swap letting the crown work. The CGs look good!

DeLoMan

3/2/19
Thanks! I transferred my VN dial out of my old cartel build, the old brushed silver DWO someone once sold on this forum years back, and tossed it on a distressed leather strap. I’m sure others are going to do more impressive things with theirs, but I’m pretty pleased with this outcome.

HS3Gnk.jpeg

HS3F2D.jpeg

pullthat92

Gonna make it
Certified
16/10/23
I was looking up the case structure to make the Marlon Brando build. There are more parts than I thought..
It looks like this ring is much smaller than the original. Does anyone know where to buy the exact size parts?
@R.O.Archer advised me to buy from the bf factory, but I don't know how to do that.

Singapore9

Renowned Member
Patron
9/8/10
Is that not the crystal retaining ring e.g.

Reactions: pullthat92

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks! I transferred my VN dial out of my old cartel build, the old brushed silver DWO someone once sold on this forum years back, and tossed it on a distressed leather strap. I’m sure others are going to do more impressive things with theirs, but I’m pretty pleased with this outcome.

HS3Gnk.jpeg

HS3F2D.jpeg
Looks fabulous bro. You should send a pic to Ken. I'm sure he'd be thrilled to post it on his site. Great advertising.

Soulbend77

Getting To Know The Place
Supporter
Certified
19/12/23

HS3Gnk.jpeg

HS3F2D.jpeg
You’re too humble, I’d wear this every day! Great taste

Megahz1

Vintage lover
6/5/18
EU
I just received the case...
The midcase/caseback are actually pretty good. Quality is excellent and there is plenty of material to work with.
The lugholes seem to be drilled to around 1.2mm (1.25mm drill bit does not pass through all the way) so even if you do not have a drill press I think you will be able to enlarge them without too much struggle.
The crown is pretty bad and replacing it is advisable and the crystal is glued to the midcase.
Finally the bezel assembly is absolute garbage and needs to be replaced imo; the ring has no resistance at all and spins freely.
Overall for the price is a good deal if you can live with the bezel, otherwise keep in mind you will have to pay around €150 for a new one.

Megahz1

Vintage lover
6/5/18
EU
The only potential issue might be getting a correct crown tube in. The Raffles crown tube threads into the case are 2.8mm. I think OEM is 2.3 mm. It would be interesting to see if a gen crown threads nicely onto the Raffles crown tube though.
I think the tube could potentially be gen spec. From Raffles website the 5.3mm crown is listed as the following:

The correct thread size is 2.5x0.25 so I hope it fits, but I have to check.

Reactions: Spoons